Two quick questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-11-2016, 06:18 AM
RE: Two quick questions
(14-11-2016 11:18 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  But religious people do have evidence in their eyes for their god's existence.

No they don't. By definition, all religions rely on faith. Faith, by definition, requires a belief in the supernatural. There is no room for evidence in religion.

(14-11-2016 11:18 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  To them the entire cosmos is evidence enough for them. What do you hope to achieve by hurling insults at someone's beliefs? In slandering their beliefs you're essentially insulting them. Would you listen to someone who insulted you? Then why use such crass language?

The religious have incarcerated, tortured and murdered atheists and heretics for millennia. If you can't handle profanity and criticism, then get the fuck out.

You are insulting us. You are being arrogant and condescending. You come here and try to lecture us on how to behave properly while exhibiting behavior that is dishonest and hypocritical.

(14-11-2016 11:18 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  Her words reflect her beliefs. What is not said outright, can be discerned with only a little effort.

As do yours.

(14-11-2016 11:18 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  Whether she hates religion or the person, it is doing her equally as much harm, and harboring so much hatred for religion if she (or he) is anything like me, I would find it hard to digest that she does not think less of those who are religious.

But rather than asking her personally, you assume she does so. That says a great deal about your motivations and personality.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
15-11-2016, 06:20 AM
(15-11-2016 12:57 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  Because right now you are hating me, rather than get to know me.

Just like you judged Leela without asking her?

Just like you judged the rest of us without getting to know us?

Hypocrite.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 4 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
15-11-2016, 06:36 AM
(15-11-2016 06:20 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(15-11-2016 12:57 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  Because right now you are hating me, rather than get to know me.

Just like you judged Leela without asking her?

Just like you judged the rest of us without getting to know us?

Hypocrite.

Not just like. I based my opinion of him off his behaviour.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
15-11-2016, 06:37 AM
(15-11-2016 12:33 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  
(15-11-2016 12:22 AM)Chas Wrote:  It is not evidence. They do not understand the word.

They do not understand what constitutes evidence. There is no evidence that the cosmos could be anything other than it is.

Because belief without evidence is absurd and infantile.

And you could be wrong since it is a guess. Don't do that. It won't win here.

Did you not read what Reltzik wrote? Either that or you have a problem with reading comprehension.

This has devolved into a matter based on opinions, on what is and is not evidence. What you would not find suitable others might, to their fortune or misfortune. A christian is being just as rational as you are, as a muslim, or sikh, or other religions.

I am not stating my opinion on evidence, I am telling you that they - and apparently you - do not understand the definition of evidence.

When it comes to facts of reality, empirical evidence is required.

Quote:I read what reltzik wrote, and it doesn't matter if she hates the person or not, so long as she has hatred in her heart she is vulnerable to exploitation as would anyone else be. Its not a matter about if she actually hates the person for their religion its a matter about hatred/anger/contempt itself.

She did not say that she hated anyone. Quit making shit up.

Quote:Or was there a different part that you wanted me to respond to?

You don't seem to be able to respond to what people actually write.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
15-11-2016, 06:41 AM
(15-11-2016 12:57 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  Perhaps we could get to know each other? What do you believe in Morondog, if not a god, then is there something else that fills the void?

What void? Consider

You appear to have invented a void and then something to fill it.

[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
15-11-2016, 08:04 AM
(15-11-2016 06:41 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(15-11-2016 12:57 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  Perhaps we could get to know each other? What do you believe in Morondog, if not a god, then is there something else that fills the void?

What void? Consider

You appear to have invented a void and then something to fill it.

Perhaps he needs to investigate the world of sex toys?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
15-11-2016, 10:29 AM
(14-11-2016 08:24 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  Wrong! religion is not bullshit. THIS is bullshit, or at least it is a 50-50 chance of being bullshit, maybe less, maybe 20% or 10% only need a few bulls for breeding after all. But none the less, bullshit looks like this.

[Image: cow_pie.jpg]

You're using derogatory terms to describe religion. Let go of that hatred, don't hate someone for their religion, because their religion doesn't define if they're a good person or not.

It would be tremendously invalid the points you were trying to make, if they were in fact not a product of religion but the product of a group of individuals who had less than reputable morals. Stalin murdered millions and he was an atheist in an atheist government, should I say then that all atheists are bad? Should I say that atheism causes genocide? Of course not.

You've been made to hate, and hate you do, it is tearing you apart driving a knife deeper and deeper into your heart. Let go of your bitter disposition, and enjoy a better fate, for what future can be born out of hate?

Would you like me to list all the fallacies you committed in this post?
I don't think you want it and I don't think that I will invest any more time in you. Obviously you are having anger issues and a problem with factual statements, this makes a mature discussion very difficult if not impossible.
Good luck though, maybe other people are more patient with you.

Cheers

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
[+] 2 users Like Leerob's post
15-11-2016, 02:56 PM
(14-11-2016 06:38 PM)Leela Wrote:  1. Do you think religion is bad? Why?
Yes, I think religion is bad.
* It teaches you to not think for yourself.
* It teaches you to trust something/someone which/who cannot be proven to even exist.
* It plants unreasonable fear in you
* It brainwashes children
* It claims knowledge and ultimate truth where it is unreasonable to do so
* It leads you away from asking questions and even makes you feel bad or silly for that
* It is harmful to poor people (depending on religion this looks different. ex. caste system in hinduism / condemning safe sex in christianity)
* It is harmful to mentally weak people (uneducated, very young, very old, mentally ill, grieving, or scared people, etc)
* It wastes your time by making you do silly rituals
* Missionaries are the fucking worst people and they don't ever realize because they think they are doing something good.
* It creates the worst incidents of violence on the planet. Crusades, Holocaust, Witchhunters, ISIS, ...
* It creates the most hate on the planet. Hate against everybody who does not believe the same. There are very few religions that do not do that.

2. What do you like most about atheism?
I am not sure what is there to like or dislike about atheism.
Atheism is simply stating a fact. Theism the belief in god and Atheism the lack of belief in a god.
So there isn't anything to like really.
I am feeling lucky though because, where I live, I have the freedom of and from religion (at least to a certain point. In some instances it will still be shoved down my throat but I can live with that) so I do not have to pay lip service and pretend things.

(15-11-2016 06:18 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  No they don't. By definition, all religions rely on faith. Faith, by definition, requires a belief in the supernatural. There is no room for evidence in religion.

The religious have incarcerated, tortured and murdered atheists and heretics for millennia. If you can't handle profanity and criticism, then get the fuck out.

You are insulting us. You are being arrogant and condescending. You come here and try to lecture us on how to behave properly while exhibiting behavior that is dishonest and hypocritical.

As do yours.

Science requires a little bit of faith as well ^-^

Quote:But rather than asking her personally, you assume she does so. That says a great deal about your motivations and personality.

Quote:* Missionaries are the fucking worst people and they don't ever realize because they think they are doing something good.

Will you stop your nonsense now? I didn't need to ask her, she made it abundantly clear.
15-11-2016, 03:01 PM
(15-11-2016 02:56 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  Science requires a little bit of faith as well ^-^

Facepalm

Faith, at least in the religious sense, is not the same as trust based on a history of reliable results

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 5 users Like unfogged's post
15-11-2016, 03:12 PM
(15-11-2016 02:56 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  
Quote:* Missionaries are the fucking worst people and they don't ever realize because they think they are doing something good.

Will you stop your nonsense now? I didn't need to ask her, she made it abundantly clear.

Wrong again, you annoying twat.
She did not say all religious people, she specifically identified missionaries.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post