Two quick questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-11-2016, 03:18 PM
RE: Two quick questions
(15-11-2016 02:56 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  Science requires a little bit of faith as well ^-^

[Image: f67334bc58f2468bad15312669d5edaa0afe4c44...0d296b.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
15-11-2016, 03:34 PM
(14-11-2016 01:16 PM)Jokurix Wrote:  Hi! Really liking this atheist forum, I realize I'm becoming more and more involved as times goes!

I wanted to ask my fellow atheists.

1. Do you think religion is bad? Why?

2. What do you like most about atheism?

Religion is like the human tail. Something vestigial; it's not entirely clear why one should pass a value judgment on that kind of thing.

Atheism means one less delusion to me.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 1 user Likes tomilay's post
15-11-2016, 03:43 PM
(15-11-2016 03:18 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(15-11-2016 02:56 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  Science requires a little bit of faith as well ^-^

[Image: f67334bc58f2468bad15312669d5edaa0afe4c44...0d296b.jpg]

Big Grin

Full Circle you have to have faith in science because you probably won't be able to obtain the instruments scientists are using or have the knowledge to know in depth what they're talking about. Therefore you are having faith that their knowledge is accurate because it is not a conclusion that you came up with on your own, but the conclusion someone else offered to you and you accepted.
15-11-2016, 03:49 PM
(15-11-2016 03:43 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  
(15-11-2016 03:18 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  [Image: f67334bc58f2468bad15312669d5edaa0afe4c44...0d296b.jpg]

Big Grin

Full Circle you have to have faith in science because you probably won't be able to obtain the instruments scientists are using or have the knowledge to know in depth what they're talking about. Therefore you are having faith that their knowledge is accurate because it is not a conclusion that you came up with on your own, but the conclusion someone else offered to you and you accepted.

I accept it because it works. Airplanes, computers, television -- every bit of technology is based on science, and it works, and we (and you too) trust our lives to it. This is nothing at all like religious faith. We trust science because we have seen over and over and over again that it works.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
15-11-2016, 03:54 PM
(15-11-2016 03:43 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  
(15-11-2016 03:18 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  [Image: f67334bc58f2468bad15312669d5edaa0afe4c44...0d296b.jpg]

Big Grin

No.

I can see the evidence the evidence myself as can FC. We are not taking a person's word for it, it is evidence that has been vetted by multiple sources.

Both FC and I (and others here) actually do science, not just read about it.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
15-11-2016, 04:09 PM
(15-11-2016 03:54 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(15-11-2016 03:43 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  Big Grin

No.

I can see the evidence the evidence myself as can FC. We are not taking a person's word for it, it is evidence that has been vetted by multiple sources.

Both FC and I (and others here) actually do science, not just read about it.

What do you fellas do? :T
15-11-2016, 04:19 PM
(14-11-2016 07:46 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  See now the mistake you're making here is calling communism a religion and then trying to make it appear as different from democracy as possible.

Calling communism or more accurately marxism-leninism religion isn't a mistake. For more info see Raymond Aron and his "Opium of the Intellectuals" and Rafał Imos "The Faith of Soviet Man" (sadly only in Polish).

Practice of communism was dictatorship, oppression and rule of one party - difference from democracy is quite clear.

Quote: Even though communism arose is russia, ousted a king, and ended the influence of the church over/in the state

Tsar. He wasn't dethroned by communists* (or bolsheviks to be more accurate). Also influence of the church was far from ended, during WWII even Stalin took easier course towards it.

Quote: Communism also preached the entire of the people, by the people, and for the people thing.

So yeah, not to different from democracy, except in administration kind of.

USSR was totalitarian regime not democracy. Conflating the two takes great deal of ignorance. I suggest reading Richard Pipes "Russian Revolution" as starting piece. "Sovist Tragedy" of Martin Malia also would be enlightening.

*Read Pipes. Or Figes. Or even Wikipedia.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
15-11-2016, 04:28 PM
(15-11-2016 03:49 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(15-11-2016 03:43 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  Big Grin

I accept it because it works. Airplanes, computers, television -- every bit of technology is based on science, and it works, and we (and you too) trust our lives to it. This is nothing at all like religious faith. We trust science because we have seen over and over and over again that it works.

"Faith is confidence or trust in a person or thing" - Wikipedia

So you do see that science is faith based? I'm glad we came to that conclusion.
15-11-2016, 04:36 PM
(15-11-2016 04:28 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  
(15-11-2016 03:49 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I accept it because it works. Airplanes, computers, television -- every bit of technology is based on science, and it works, and we (and you too) trust our lives to it. This is nothing at all like religious faith. We trust science because we have seen over and over and over again that it works.

"Faith is confidence or trust in a person or thing" - Wikipedia

So you do see that science is faith based? I'm glad we came to that conclusion.

No. We didn't come to the same conclusion. Once again, you are (re)defining words to fit your agenda. "Faith", as religious people use the term, is nothing at all like the trust that we have in science, based on evidence that it works. Stop trying to equate things that are nothing at all like each other.
15-11-2016, 04:44 PM
First of all, atheism is as diverse as any group you can name, you do yourself a great disservice by judging or questioning it as a whole. In the short time since I have come out, (about 2 mths) I know that there are as many narrow-minded people who don't believe in God as there are who do. Go post something in the politics section, if you don't believe me. LOL
Sorry for the rant. Back to your question.
1) Religion discourages reason and uses politics to push their beliefs onto others. Not to mention the corruption and the cover-ups thereof. It would be ok, if churches minded their own business, but that's not the nature of the beast. Sorry, no pun intended, no really, I mean it.!!!!!
2) Now that I know that this life is all I have, I really try to have more consideration for others feeling and spend more time with my wife and kids. This is all I get, use it wisely.
[+] 1 user Likes doc88401's post