Types and examples of scribal errors

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
28-08-2015, 08:25 AM
RE: Types and examples of scribal errors
Nice write-up docskeptic, it is very informative and I will add it to my arsenal Smile

“We can judge our progress by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers, our willingness to embrace what is true rather than what feels good.”
― Carl Sagan
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Worom's post
28-08-2015, 03:35 PM
Thanks, all! Let's stay focused here. I don't want this thread to degenerate into some sort of eclectic Sunday School. Time to unpack some of the stuff I wrote earlier. I will also try and address stevec's question of 666 vs. 616 which comes at a very opportune time.

a. Unintentional errors:
1. Errors due to faulty eyesight.

As I said earlier, scribes often worked in scriptoria within monasteries which weren't exactly models of ergonomic design or lighting. Lighting sources were natural like sunlight or artificial, primarily candlelight. Also, as scribes aged, myopia, hypermetropia, cataracts and macular degeneration for which there was no treatment or cure likely took a toll on their eyesight.

It doesn't help that many Hebrew and Greek letters look very similar. For example, Ο (omicron), Φ (phi), Θ (theta) and Ω (omega) all look alike. So do Π (pi), Τ (tau) and Ί (gamma), especially when handwritten. It is no surprise therefore, then, that errors due to poor eyesight were very common in early handwritten manuscripts. Even if the scribe's eyesight was eagle-sharp, a faded or damaged manuscript may have been difficult to read.

Here's an example:

2 Peter 2:13 reads:
They will be paid back with harm for the harm they have done. Their idea of pleasure is to carouse in broad daylight. They are blots and blemishes, reveling in their love-feasts (ΑΓΑΠΑΙΣ) while they feast with you.

In other manuscripts, the passage is given as:
They will be paid back with harm for the harm they have done. Their idea of pleasure is to carouse in broad daylight. They are blots and blemishes, reveling in their deceptions (ΑΠΑΤΑΙΣ) while they feast with you.

Another example -1 Timothy 3:16 reads:

He (ΟΣ) appeared in the flesh, was vindicated by the Spirit, was seen by angels, was preached among the nations, was believed on in the world, was taken up in glory.

The “he” in this verse is referring to Jesus. In other manuscripts, the scribe mistook the ΟΣ for ΘΣ (the contraction for 'theos'), so the passage read:

God (ΘΣ) appeared in the flesh, was vindicated by the Spirit, was seen by angels, was preached among the nations, was believed on in the world, was taken up in glory-which sense does not fit, if we are talking about the son.

To answer stevec's question about 666 vs. 616, remember I said earlier that after the 2nd century BCE, Greek alphabets were also used as numerals. Most ancient manuscripts give the number of the beast as χ΄ξ΄ς΄ (600+60+6), but in a few manuscripts the scribe must have written down χ΄ι΄ς΄ (600+10+6). The change was a copyist's error and not a deliberate choice because 666 sounds more sexy than 616.

Doc
[+] 3 users Like docskeptic's post
28-08-2015, 04:21 PM
(27-08-2015 09:57 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Luckily today we have the book of Mormon which contains no errors at all.Drooling

BoM doesn't have this claim. Of course there are errors.
Scriptures have errors. But who cares when there are Prophets of God and the Holy Ghost?

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
28-08-2015, 04:34 PM
(27-08-2015 05:29 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(27-08-2015 12:07 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  B. MODERN ERRORS (after the invention of printing): The same categories as above hold true for this sub-heading with the obvious consequence that many copies transmitted the error instead of one. For example, the “Wicked Bible” of 1631, published in London, inadvertently left out the “not” in Exodus 20:14 so that it read “Thou shalt commit adultery”!

Uhoh! How many people went to hell over that one? Does Yhwh give mulligans to those poor saps that read that? Laugh out load

On the treadmill I tend to watch TV with the closed captions turned on, and you can see lots of transcription errors there…including an episode of a cooking show where an eliminated chef wished she had a mulligan and the person typing the CC obviously was not familiar with the term and typed "do it again." The interesting thing there was that the transcription error actually came pretty close to the sense of "mulligan," although it was still incorrect.
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
28-08-2015, 04:52 PM
Doc, according to the documentary "End of Days" hosted by some Austrian dude, numbers in visions often appear upside down. Perhaps it was 999 or 919.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
28-08-2015, 04:53 PM
(28-08-2015 04:21 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(27-08-2015 09:57 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Luckily today we have the book of Mormon which contains no errors at all.Drooling

BoM doesn't have this claim. Of course there are errors.
Scriptures have errors. But who cares when there are Prophets of God and the Holy Ghost?

Errors such as those that only a convicted conman would include?

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
28-08-2015, 05:13 PM
Alla: Prophet!

Doc: Stay on target!

Alla: Mormon!

Alla: Brigham Young!

Alla is picked off by reason. Doc tries to escape but is caught in the debris and crashes and burns.
[+] 2 users Like docskeptic's post
28-08-2015, 10:06 PM
The Bible doesn't claim that it has no errors.
Claim that the Bible has no errors is not-biblical.
Atheists are saying the truth when they say that there are errors in the Bible. Thumbsup

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
28-08-2015, 10:23 PM
(28-08-2015 10:06 PM)Alla Wrote:  The Bible doesn't claim that it has no errors.
Claim that the Bible has no errors is not-biblical.
Atheists are saying the truth when they say that there are errors in the Bible. Thumbsup

Really now? Oh look here are two verses one says that the word of god is flawless and the other said the scripture is from god.

Psalm 12:6 And the words of the LORD are flawless, like silver purified in a crucible, like gold refined seven times.
2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness

“We can judge our progress by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers, our willingness to embrace what is true rather than what feels good.”
― Carl Sagan
[+] 1 user Likes Worom's post
29-08-2015, 01:11 AM
(28-08-2015 05:13 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Alla: Prophet!

Alla: Mormon!

Alla: Brigham Young!

Alla is picked off by reason. Doc tries to escape but is caught in the debris and crashes and burns.

I keep picturing her squadron commander (Commander Monson?) ordering, "Switch your logic deflectors on, double-front!"

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 4 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post