Typical/Atypical or what...?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-02-2013, 09:53 PM
Typical/Atypical or what...?
A question, or questions, of sorts about several things:

First: I am an Atheist. I care about conservation and protecting our wildlife and I care immensely about protecting animals from cruelty and abuse. I care about our environment and our Earth; however, I am not a "tree hugging hippie," and I mean that with no disrespect.

I despise fur wearing. It sickens me to think that anyone can wear an animal's fur for fashion. Native Americans, Vikings, and other native groups did it, but they did it out of necessity. However, I eat meat. I am not a vegetarian--not even close!! I once followed a page on FB that was for Atheists, but the constant posting of humans being "biologically herbivores" and "meat eating is cruel and unnecessary" & having "rotting corpses" in your gut is deadly and on and on just started to get on my nerves. I have zero issues with people who choose to be vegetarians, but IMO, on a page claiming to understand rational thought, the posts were unbelievably irrational. It got me to wondering, though, being Atheists does not equate to being vegan, so it would seem illogical to get so wound up over the choice to eat meat? That might sound absolutely ridiculous, and it by no means I want to fit in because I don't care about that, I am just wondering from the members here, what are your opinions on eating meat?

Secondly: I believe that we are a product of our environments and genetics; HOWEVER, I believe that, unless something is hardwired into you (i.e., genetically), then you eventually become responsible for your actions despite your background (your childhood, how you were raised, your socioeconomic background, etc.). Thus, when someone CHOOSES to become a criminal (without the genetic aspect involved), and you CHOOSE to commit a heinous and atrocious crime, I am, by all means, supportive of the death penalty. (Therefore, I am no bleeding heart liberal, so to speak.) I say this simply because I believe it is a waste of tax payer money to keep someone who will knowingly commit more violent crimes alive IF they cannot be rehabilitated. That being said, I am extremely supportive of rehabilitative measures for those who commit crimes (violent or otherwise). I do not believe violent criminals should have more luxuries than a middle-class working American (hell, they should have it no better than a homeless person). I think we need a system that at least attempts to rehabilitate criminals, but otherwise, I believe in the death penalty. What are your opinions on this? Is it typical or atypical (or is this even relevant) to Atheist ideals?

Cool

"Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tunes without the words...and never stops at all." --Emily Dickinson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-02-2013, 09:58 PM
AW: Typical/Atypical or what...?
What "atheist ideals" are you talking about?

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
16-02-2013, 10:19 PM
RE: Typical/Atypical or what...?
Words and labels have their original definition, and over time those words and labels take on additional or new definitions. I don't see "atheism" as having (yet?) been redefined to mean anything more.

Atheism means a lack of belief in a "god" - a sentient magical being with infinite power.

The atheist could be immoral, or moral, educated, or ignorant, rational, or irrational, etc. Atheism only covers one tiny part of the greater make up of the person.

Will the word Atheism be redefined to include more things later on? Perhaps. We could always start now.