Typical Scotsman!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-10-2012, 11:17 AM
RE: Typical Scotsman!
(02-10-2012 11:04 AM)morondog Wrote:  and the stone circles characteristic of the druidic religion are found in Ireland (not sure about Scotland),

We have no shortage of stone circles up here.

Edit. Chas can you provide a source?. Because everywhere i look seems to be saying the opposite.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like FSM_scot's post
02-10-2012, 12:28 PM
(02-10-2012 11:17 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  
(02-10-2012 11:04 AM)morondog Wrote:  and the stone circles characteristic of the druidic religion are found in Ireland (not sure about Scotland),

We have no shortage of stone circles up here.

Edit. Chas can you provide a source?. Because everywhere i look seems to be saying the opposite.

The Celts were not one people or one tribe; the term is a collective one for an era of related tribes and cultures.

Wikipedia

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-10-2012, 12:38 PM
I misunderstood you. I thought you were meaning it was a nonsense term, rather than a collective term for people with similar cultures and languages.
02-10-2012, 01:07 PM
(02-10-2012 12:28 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-10-2012 11:17 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  We have no shortage of stone circles up here.

The Celts were not one people or one tribe; the term is a collective one for an era of related tribes and cultures.

Wikipedia

I was more challenging this
Quote:There is no demonstrable link between the Celti or Keltoi of Classical sources and the people who live in Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Brittany or Spain, popularly identified as Celts today, or indeed their kin elsewhere in the world.

Wikipedia says:
Quote:In 1946 the Celtic scholar T. F. O'Rahilly published his extremely influential mode of the early history of Ireland which postulated four separate waves of Celtic invaders, spanning most of the Iron Age (700 to 100 BC). Later research indicated that the culture may have developed gradually and continuously between the Celts and the indigenous populations. Similarly in Ireland little archaeological evidence was found for large intrusive groups of Celtic immigrants, suggesting to archaeologists such as Colin Renfrew that the native late Bronze Age inhabitants gradually absorbed European Celtic influences and language.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insular_Celts

So there is a definite link, but maybe mostly not genetic.

Eish! That was a wake-up call. You think you know something... crazy... Smile
02-10-2012, 03:27 PM
(01-10-2012 04:57 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  Look people, FSM_scot made the news whilst looking for his dinner!

Click here!

What a wanker!
02-10-2012, 10:43 PM
(02-10-2012 07:34 AM)PeterKA Wrote:  The following is a list of some things invented by Scotsmen

Whisky

Golf

Anesthetics

The Hypodermic Syringe

Flush Toilets

The Pneumatic Tyre

The friction Match

The decimal point

fax Machines

macadamized roads

Microwave ovens

Penicillin

The postage stamp

The Telephone

Television

The Chinese, Taiwanese, Japanese, French and English National Banks

The Pedal bicycle

The ATM

DNA Cloning

The United States Navy

Kirin Beer

and last but not least

Harry Potter

So I dont care if you cant find us on a map, you'd all still be living in caves without us. "Typical" seems pretty damn good from where I sit

"Sitting" Yeah. The Scots invented that, too.

04-10-2012, 09:35 PM
I think that the Celts HAD a culture rather than HAVE one. Yes there are celtic burial sites in Scotland, particularly in the far Northern Islands and West coast, but there is no evidence that they survived the Celtic invasion. In fact that may have hastened their departure to Ireland and Iceland, but in the absence of any evidence either way it is all guesswork

The secret to a happy life is lowering your expectations to the point where they are already met