Typical Scotsman!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-10-2012, 07:47 PM
Typical Scotsman!
(01-10-2012 07:13 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  I have a sneaky suspicion that the apology thread is going to be flooded with hugs and sorry's. My eyes are gonna bleed, aren't they? Tongue

Who in this thread are you expecting to apologize? Hughsie should, but it's not his fault he's English.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
01-10-2012, 07:49 PM
RE: Typical Scotsman!
(01-10-2012 07:47 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(01-10-2012 07:13 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  I have a sneaky suspicion that the apology thread is going to be flooded with hugs and sorry's. My eyes are gonna bleed, aren't they? Tongue

Who in this thread are you expecting to apologize? Hughsie should, but it's not his fault he's English.

It could be anyone. Who knows.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
01-10-2012, 09:01 PM
(01-10-2012 07:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-10-2012 06:59 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Islands? You people live on islands? What are you some sort of half naked natives running around climbing coconut trees for your dinner?

And they paint their bodies blue. Yes

It's called woad! And it's an art form.

02-10-2012, 07:34 AM
The following is a list of some things invented by Scotsmen

Whisky

Golf

Anesthetics

The Hypodermic Syringe

Flush Toilets

The Pneumatic Tyre

The friction Match

The decimal point

fax Machines

macadamized roads

Microwave ovens

Penicillin

The postage stamp

The Telephone

Television

The Chinese, Taiwanese, Japanese, French and English National Banks

The Pedal bicycle

The ATM

DNA Cloning

The United States Navy

Kirin Beer

and last but not least

Harry Potter

So I dont care if you cant find us on a map, you'd all still be living in caves without us. "Typical" seems pretty damn good from where I sit

The secret to a happy life is lowering your expectations to the point where they are already met
[+] 4 users Like PeterKA's post
02-10-2012, 09:29 AM
(01-10-2012 05:06 PM)frankiej Wrote:  
(01-10-2012 04:56 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  They are on the same dang island, glad someone stepped up and gave them our (ie. the correct) point of view.Drinking Beverage

Wait... you think Scotland and Ireland are 2 parts of the same island? That would be very silly American of you

I didn't see that the Irishman interjected, even we know they have their own little island.Drinking Beverage

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
02-10-2012, 10:22 AM
Everyone interested should read this.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-10-2012, 10:25 AM
(01-10-2012 07:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  And they paint their bodies blue. Yes

That was the Celts. Not the Scots.

So far the Muricans have failed at geography and history. Nice job beating the stereotype guys Thumbsup

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
[+] 2 users Like FSM_scot's post
02-10-2012, 10:27 AM
(02-10-2012 10:25 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  

So far the Muricans have failed at geography and history. Nice job beating the stereotype guys :thumbs up:

We have a stereotype to live up to afterallDrinking Beverage

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
02-10-2012, 10:32 AM
(02-10-2012 10:25 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  

So far the Muricans have failed at geography and history. Nice job beating the stereotype guys Thumbsup

There is no such thing as a Celt. There are artefacts of Celtic design and there are languages that are described as Celtic: Welsh, Gaelic, Breton and Gallego being the principal examples. There is no demonstrable link between the Celti or Keltoi of Classical sources and the people who live in Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Brittany or Spain, popularly identified as Celts today, or indeed their kin elsewhere in the world.

Scots are largely of Pictish (and Nordic and Germanic) origin and it was the Picts who painted themselves with woad and other pigments.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-10-2012, 11:04 AM
(02-10-2012 10:32 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-10-2012 10:25 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  That was the Celts. Not the Scots.

There is no such thing as a Celt. There are artefacts of Celtic design and there are languages that are described as Celtic: Welsh, Gaelic, Breton and Gallego being the principal examples. There is no demonstrable link between the Celti or Keltoi of Classical sources and the people who live in Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Brittany or Spain, popularly identified as Celts today, or indeed their kin elsewhere in the world.

Scots are largely of Pictish (and Nordic and Germanic) origin and it was the Picts who painted themselves with woad and other pigments.

Chas are you sure of this? I'm going off the top of my head but I used to be a little bit nuts about Celtic culture and art and such. I'm fairly certain that most historians accept that Scots and Irish people are of Celtic origin. They certainly have unified culture and art going back thousands of years, and the stone circles characteristic of the druidic religion are found in Ireland (not sure about Scotland), as well as characteristic style tombs and other artifacts, which are also found in Britain and France.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post