U.K. Parliament Will Debate Banning Donald Trump From the Country

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-01-2016, 05:29 AM
RE: U.K. Parliament Will Debate Banning Donald Trump From the Country
If they ban him I hope he does get elected just for entertainment value. It will create a funny situation. In the end, that's what really matters.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
10-01-2016, 10:01 AM
It seems to me like a simple political statement. The EU has an interest in Trump not being elected, since more chauvinistic american policies are harmful to our economy, and we also need strong military support from the USA with the Syrian and Libyan crises, since Europe barely has an army.
10-01-2016, 12:30 PM
(10-01-2016 10:01 AM)Naridar Wrote:  .....and we also need strong military support from the USA with the Syrian and Libyan crises, since Europe barely has an army.

3 out of the top ten armies of the world rated for firepower are european armies

Source
10-01-2016, 12:40 PM
Trump hasn't really helped his own cause by spitting his dummy out and saying that he will pull investment out of Scotland if he does get banned, like Erx has mentioned on post 7.

He can remove his investment and shut down his shitty golf course. Golf is a shit sport anyway.

It is ironic though wanting to ban the person wanting to ban others....

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
10-01-2016, 01:10 PM
(10-01-2016 12:30 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(10-01-2016 10:01 AM)Naridar Wrote:  .....and we also need strong military support from the USA with the Syrian and Libyan crises, since Europe barely has an army.

3 out of the top ten armies of the world rated for firepower are european armies

Source

In raw firepower, yes, (I think most of those numbers actually comes from the stable economy and modern weaponry) in deployable manpower, not so much (UK, France and Germany have a total of ~550k frontline soldiers combined, compared to Russia's 1.1 million and the much smaller Turkey's 400k, not to mention the US' 1.4 million), and most EU leaders are afraid to send living troops, being afraid that having to bring them back in a plastic bag would completely ruin their chance of reelection. Europe underwent a great demilitarization since WW2's end, while the USA has deployed troops abroad multiple times since then (in the Korean war, Vietnam, Afghanistan and recently Iraq). So far, airstrikes and drone attacks against ISIS' guerilla warfare doesn't seem to be working with no land armies to back them up. The NATO relies on the USA's willingness to deploy troops abroad and a cooperative US government is important enough to enact pressure for.
10-01-2016, 02:07 PM
Naridar,

i still fail to see your point. Why compare europes armies with Turkey? Do you really think there is a possibility that europe would have to face turkey in a military confrontation? Turkey is a member of the NATO!

Of course europe underwent considerable demilitarisation. But that can be reversed as soon as the governments realize some kind of requirement for that. Military is a huge black hole for $ economy wise, and as was learned after WWII, war will result in limitless.....loss of $ ultimately. Thats why in europe no major government intends to use military solutions lightheartedly.

The fact that european countries dont want to send major batches of ground troops right now does not mean they wouldnt mobilize considerable manpower if necessary. WWs I and II have proven that Germany, UK and France alone are willing and able to mobilize quite some manpower. We are talking about in excess of 200mio people of total population.

Who exactly do you think is threatening europe (and how?) regarding the crisis in the levante?
IS? They are just a bunch of crazies who are still *alive* for a single reason: A missing common denominator between major powers with different national interestets (Russia, Turkey, western Europe, Saudi Arabia, etc) regarding the levante. IS is less a military threat than the result/profiteer from a conflict of interests. Manpower of european armies is not related to this in imho.
10-01-2016, 04:20 PM
You're right about IS itself not being a significant force compared to a national army, but right now no NATO state has mobilized significant forces in the region. I compared army sizes to Turkey because out of NATO states, they're the closest to the conflict zone and on the top 10 list you linked, it had the largest army of (mostly) european NATO members while placing lowest on the list - I wasn't trying to imply a possible military conflict between the EU and Turkey, sorry if it came out that way.
In my opinion, the IS threat to the EU is only through terrorism and the migration crisis, and so far reinforcements have mostly gone to the police instead of the military, since there hasn't been an all-out militaristic attack on european soil thus far. As You have written, deploying armies is a huge money-sink, and unless absolutely necessary, the EU would rather depend on its' main NATO ally, the USA, to dispatch forces wherever necessary.
However, we seemed to have wandered quite far from the original topic, and in my original post, I intended the possible close-in of US trade were Trump to be elected to be the major point.
[+] 1 user Likes Naridar's post
10-01-2016, 04:28 PM
I may have to move there if the Trumpster is elected. I know from reading Agatha Christie that even in little rural British towns, there are lots of murders to solve, bodies found in libraries, and funny businesses going on. So it wouldn't be boring, anyway.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
11-01-2016, 05:50 AM
Naridar,

ok i now see your point. Thanks for explaining Thumbsup