U.S. DEA: marijuana to remain schedule 1

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-08-2016, 03:00 PM
RE: U.S. DEA: marijuana to remain schedule 1
We're arguing about whether drugs should be legalized. And I agree that they should; I think criminalization is exactly the wrong approach to solving social problems of this sort, causing far more damage to persons and societies than the drugs themselves, and that this has been overwhelmingly demonstrated in nations that have decriminalized.

But the real question here, to me, is how these federal officials can sleep at night, making such demonstrably false statements about marijuana and its medical uses, even though everyone in medicine knows better, and when we have a country containing nearly a million AIDS patients, over 14 million living with cancer, and hundreds of thousands of PTSD-impacted veterans who use weed to help with their worst emotional spikes (instead of drugging themselves into a permanent stupor with legal pills, which many stop taking for that reason), among dozens of other people whose pain and suffering can be relieved with this plant. Some of those people will literally not survive by using other options than weed.

They are sacrificing the safety of Americans on behalf of corporate profits. I consider it nothing less than treason against the American people.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
18-08-2016, 03:43 PM
(18-08-2016 03:00 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  We're arguing about whether drugs should be legalized. And I agree that they should; I think criminalization is exactly the wrong approach to solving social problems of this sort, causing far more damage to persons and societies than the drugs themselves, and that this has been overwhelmingly demonstrated in nations that have decriminalized.

But the real question here, to me, is how these federal officials can sleep at night, making such demonstrably false statements about marijuana and its medical uses, even though everyone in medicine knows better, and when we have a country containing nearly a million AIDS patients, over 14 million living with cancer, and hundreds of thousands of PTSD-impacted veterans who use weed to help with their worst emotional spikes (instead of drugging themselves into a permanent stupor with legal pills, which many stop taking for that reason), among dozens of other people whose pain and suffering can be relieved with this plant. Some of those people will literally not survive by using other options than weed.

They are sacrificing the safety of Americans on behalf of corporate profits. I consider it nothing less than treason against the American people.

I am 100% on board this boat. I don't know how to affect change in this system, as the people who are the problem are also the people who are a. in control of the system and b. profiting mightily from the system. They are obviously not going to give up their positions voluntarily, and many are not elected officials, so...? What needs to happen? I have no idea, but something needs to change quickly, and I'm hopping on the battlewagon as soon as it's identified.
[+] 1 user Likes The Dark One's post
18-08-2016, 04:17 PM
I remember the movies about Killer weed and how people would smoke it and think they could fly and jump out 20 story windows and such things, and I believed it not knowing any better. I have a sister that later made her living on her own sail boat going up and down the US coast from inside Mexico to Washington state. I sailed with her once and learned the truth about such things. It didn't impress me much when I tried it, couldn't pay attention to a conversation or to any book I was trying to read or anything, but I did learn it didn't make one crazy.
18-08-2016, 04:28 PM
(18-08-2016 04:17 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  It didn't impress me much when I tried it, couldn't pay attention to a conversation or to any book I was trying to read or anything, but I did learn it didn't make one crazy.

The crazy growers have got your back. The science that these growers are doing is very impressive.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
18-08-2016, 05:03 PM
Yep, any experiences you had even just a year ago are getting outdated. As it is legal now in many places, there is a ton of research and development and there are so many strains it makes your head spin.

My personal favorite use is to smoke some and then go and work in the garden - or simply stroll around there. (There are always things to tweak though). I have found a local strain that works beautifully for this - while keeping energy flowing so I feel motivated to be out there messing around, it deepens the appreciation of color and visual effects. Absolutely perfect for flower gardening.

Best things these days, if you can, is to go to a store and get counselled. Used to be all you wanted when high was food and music, and, yes, sex... but now you can find a strain to enhance all kinds of activities.

Not to mention the purely medical strains. You need prescriptions for these, and the counselling there is awesome, too. There are some real pros working in these stores, and they tend to be super nice, too, and take the time to inform people properly.

All of this will only get better the longer it is legal.

I remember going to "coffee shops" in Amsterdam and having no idea what to buy. The selection in my tiny Oregon town today is better and more defined than the shops in Amsterdam were years after they legalized it. I think this is because in the US the medical aspects are paid more attention, and in the course of researching that all sorts of strains are developed.

Anyway, forget old experiences with weed. They don't apply to today's selections. And, yes - you are getting old ! Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
18-08-2016, 05:36 PM
The DEA ?
Oh, that great scientific body.

Laugh out load .. Laugh out load .. Laugh out load .. Laugh out load

No scientific evidence, except treating chronic nausea in cancer, and intractable seizures in children, and as an alternative to opioids, (one of the leading causes of death in drug use and abuse).

Idiots.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
18-08-2016, 05:40 PM
(18-08-2016 03:00 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  But the real question here, to me, is how these federal officials can sleep at night,

On mattresses stuffed with money.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 2 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
19-08-2016, 12:26 AM
When I retired, the rules drastically changed for me- over a quarter of a century being medically scrutinized every 6 months, with random drug testing and lots of folks "keeping an eye on you"... being an airline pilot does put a damper on your party time. As it should, no doubt, but...my off time is my off time, and we usually flew 12 days on, 18 days off. Why I couldn't have spent the first, say, week, of my 2 1/2 weeks off smoking a little ganja...well, anyway, I never did, but suddenly I was able to again after close to 3 decades.

After I opened my hotrod shop, I quickly developed a sort of ritual, with a new project. In the years I've had the shop now, I've tried it this way and with a "pollutant free" approach, and I am firmly convinced marijuana has measurable value to the creative method.

Typically, a customer brings us a car, truck or bike, a pile of money, and says "build me something cool". I don't allow too many limitations...if you want a cookie cutter hotrod, take it somewhere else. All I want to know is what your focus is- power, handling, appearance, comfort, techie, etc, and what colors you would prefer. No guarantee with the colors except in special circumstances, but I try. Once this info has been passed and the working account is full...go away. I'll call you in 18 months.

Then comes my ritual. Saturday or Sunday, nobody in the shop but me. I take a guitar and an amp and a joint or something- several things will work- and I sit in front of the car and just noodle on the guitar- kind of wander around, playing little riffs and trying to be Iomi. This seems to open my mind up to possibilities, somehow.

As I sit there looking at the car and playing, with a quiet little buzz on, I see it in various styles and conditions and colors and stances....it's much like watching a slide show. Slowly, my brain fixates on one. Eventually I create it in our cad program, make some notes, and Monday morning, we're off. We've never had an unhappy customer and every car of ours entered into a car show has placed 3rd or better, many best of shows. It works, it really does- and has for a number of years now.

I think it just allows me to relax and let the thoughts and ideas flow unhindered by stresses or concerns, but whatever it is, it's been profitable. I know a lot of people who make similar claims, and have at least anecdotal evidence to back it up.

It makes me wonder about the long term effects of widespread legalization.

Maybe we will get flying cars and jetpacks and hover boards, after all. Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes The Dark One's post
19-08-2016, 03:40 AM
DarkOne - That has been my experience with design, as well. I'll sketch up a bunch of bikes and/or parts while buzzed, then wait until I largely sober back up (not long, as you know) to start cutting on metal. It most definitely works. But while it's useful to be more creative and to be able to look at things differently than you normally would, it's not really an argument for legalization, by itself (sadly). More importantly, it doesn't address the fact that the government is blatantly lying to us, and essentially only the people who think the government (law enforcement) wouldn't lie to them about something like that buy it, so it engenders mistrust in the American public-- either of the government for lying, or of our fellow Americans for those who believe them. It serves no good purpose.

Worse, as I pointed out, the bald-faced lie that it serves NO medical purpose is overridden not only by a plethora of scientific studies, but the fact that Dronabinol (commercial name Marinol) is a synthetic THC pill licensed by the FDA... the problem is that it doesn't deliver its dose reliably because it depends on the rate it is absorbed into the intestines, which can vary radically for a number of reasons, and it requires people who're taking it to combat nausea to SWALLOW A FUCKING PILL AND HOLD IT DOWN, since it can take more than an hour to "kick in" and many hours to wear off, whereas a single puff on a joint or vaporizer (etc) brings instant relief, and can be controlled by the user by inhaling until they've hit the point they need for medical purposes, re-dosing (or not) as needed.

But of course, Dronabinol is making Solvay Pharmaceuticals a great deal of money.

And this following statement is why I will never vote for Hillary Clinton:

Hillary Rodham Clinton, JD, US Secretary of State and US Senator (D-NY), during an Oct. 11, 2007 town hall meeting at Plymouth State College:

"With respect to medical marijuana, you know I think that we have had a lot of rhetoric and the federal government has been very intent upon trying to prevent states from being able to offer that as an option for people who are in pain. I think we should be doing medical research on this. We ought to find what are the elements that claim to be existing in marijuana that might help people who are suffering from cancer and nausea-related treatments. We ought to find that out. I don't think we should decriminalize it, but we ought to do research into what, if any, medical benefits it has."

(Emphasis mine.)

After years of interfering with the ability of scientists to do research on marijuana, the feds are now claiming that the reason they don't legalize its medical use is because there's not enough study done on it!

Angry

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
19-08-2016, 04:14 AM
Quote:Dronabinol

Oddly, I have never heard of Dronabinol. A google search and quick read of online reviews found exactly what you described...so utterly ludicrous. Sometimes I wonder if the government ever listens to what it says or watches what it does. I have to assume...no.

After working narc, I lost all faith in the DEA, the FDA, and the USDA. New drugs take forever to be approved, yet judging by the number of bad drugs on the market, that delay is not spent testing...rather, they spend it sorting bribes or...cutting their toenails, perhaps? People die waiting for this spurious approval process, then people die BECAUSE of the spurious approval process. To make things even more exciting, they drag their feet for years approving drugs that have been used successfully in Europe for decades...so that for a time only wealthy people who can afford to go overseas for treatment survive.
The DEA is a group of idiots run by idiots for the sake of making money for these other idiots. Very gung-ho. Useless, but very gung-ho. I have no use for any of them- at what point, after decades of huge monetary expenditures, resulting in an almost imperceptible change in the amount of drug trafficking crossing our borders, do they say "Hey, guys...maybe we need to take another look at our basic premise here, what do you think?" Prohibition does not work. It isn't that complicated. Anything you can grow in your closet or make in your bathroom...cannot be controlled, ultimately. Not to the point of prohibition, at any rate. You can actually exert more control using legalization, taxation, and certification. Take the profit out of the illegal enterprise, make the risk outweigh the reward, and you can set legal ages for consumption and affect the price with taxation....keep records of who is who in the industry by requiring certification, of growers, cookers, distributors, etc.

Argh. Better quit before all hope of sleep fades under the weight of my frustrations!
[+] 2 users Like The Dark One's post