U.S. Supreme Court free speech ruling

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-06-2017, 05:37 PM
RE: U.S. Supreme Court free speech ruling
(22-06-2017 02:59 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  As far as I know, the US doesn't stop people from naming their babies whatever they want. I know someone who used to work in whatever office processed North Carolina's birth certificates. "Best of" included Mr. and Mrs. Bean who named their newborn twins "Butter" and "Lima." One where you just kind of had to make up your own story as to "why?" was the beautiful baby girl whose mother named her "Placenta." I think if the courts were ever going to step in for the sake of the child, THAT'S where I would have hoped they'd draw a line.

As with many things, the US government tends to leave the laws regarding the naming of children in the hands of the states, so we basically have fifty different sets of regs. This was a nice convenient list of most of them, but it isn't referenced, and I haven't looked into all the state statutes to verify. Those with which I am familiar, are correct.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
23-06-2017, 06:29 PM
(23-06-2017 02:45 PM)Vivian Darkbloom Wrote:  For I did mention Palin, Coulter and Limbaugh by name. And Breitbart. Those aren't just people I disagree with going merrily about their day. Those people actively promote hatred and the dehumanizing of their political opponents on a regular basis. They spread lies and misinformation, so no, it's not just about a different opinion.

Ok, here's me trying a little harder. Let's see how I do:

None of the people you mention are politicians (Palin was, for a short period of time, but hasn't been an elected official for a long time). Who fucking cares what they think? They are private citizens who earn a ridiculous amount of money fanning flames and stoking fears. But, they have no real impact on policy and, quite honestly, I think their impact on the world is largely exaggerated. Barak Obama won 2 elections with these jackwads spewing their venom, and he won both of them pretty handily. The forces in play that gave us President Combover had little to do with anything Rush Limbaugh had to say and a lot more to do with general distrust of the 2 political parties in general and Hillary Clinton in particular.

These people who you find so vile are of little consequence in our world. When students go on a violent tirade over Ann Fucking Coulter, all they do is give her free publicity and a forum to spew her for-profit messaging. She probably made far more money doing the talk show circuit complaining about how mistreated she was than she would have gotten from Stanford. And, all that happened was the students discredited any valid arguments and points they may have had. It was ridiculous.

The world is not a fair place. People don't always agree with you. And no one cares if you're offended. Not a single person. All these kids have to grow up a little bit. Protesting is one thing. Rioting, however, is completely unacceptable.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
23-06-2017, 08:58 PM (This post was last modified: 23-06-2017 09:03 PM by GenesisNemesis.)
(23-06-2017 06:29 PM)BnW Wrote:  
(23-06-2017 02:45 PM)Vivian Darkbloom Wrote:  For I did mention Palin, Coulter and Limbaugh by name. And Breitbart. Those aren't just people I disagree with going merrily about their day. Those people actively promote hatred and the dehumanizing of their political opponents on a regular basis. They spread lies and misinformation, so no, it's not just about a different opinion.

Ok, here's me trying a little harder. Let's see how I do:

None of the people you mention are politicians (Palin was, for a short period of time, but hasn't been an elected official for a long time). Who fucking cares what they think? They are private citizens who earn a ridiculous amount of money fanning flames and stoking fears. But, they have no real impact on policy and, quite honestly, I think their impact on the world is largely exaggerated. Barak Obama won 2 elections with these jackwads spewing their venom, and he won both of them pretty handily. The forces in play that gave us President Combover had little to do with anything Rush Limbaugh had to say and a lot more to do with general distrust of the 2 political parties in general and Hillary Clinton in particular.

These people who you find so vile are of little consequence in our world. When students go on a violent tirade over Ann Fucking Coulter, all they do is give her free publicity and a forum to spew her for-profit messaging. She probably made far more money doing the talk show circuit complaining about how mistreated she was than she would have gotten from Stanford. And, all that happened was the students discredited any valid arguments and points they may have had. It was ridiculous.

The world is not a fair place. People don't always agree with you. And no one cares if you're offended. Not a single person. All these kids have to grow up a little bit. Protesting is one thing. Rioting, however, is completely unacceptable.

We currently have a president who represents the far-right. Our president wouldn't exist without the existence of the far-right. Trump watches Fox News daily, and he's friends with Alex Jones. Not to mention Steve Bannon is currently the Chief Strategist of the White House.

23-06-2017, 09:15 PM
Yep, the election of Herr Hairpiece was a pretty fucked up event. And, he's included some fairly awful people in his administration. But, I fundamentally disagree with the whole "he was elected because of the far right" narrative. There are not enough wingnuts in this country to swing an election. If there was, we never would have had Obama for 2 terms.

23-06-2017, 09:32 PM
(23-06-2017 09:15 PM)BnW Wrote:  Yep, the election of Herr Hairpiece was a pretty fucked up event. And, he's included some fairly awful people in his administration. But, I fundamentally disagree with the whole "he was elected because of the far right" narrative. There are not enough wingnuts in this country to swing an election. If there was, we never would have had Obama for 2 terms.

The only reason I disagree is because throughout his campaign he kept saying some very far-right things.

23-06-2017, 11:26 PM
Quote:It's all or nothing with some of these kids.

You say that as if the Fox Fux are not worse.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
23-06-2017, 11:48 PM
Can I still say, "Fuck dat shit homie"?

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-06-2017, 07:21 AM
(23-06-2017 09:32 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
(23-06-2017 09:15 PM)BnW Wrote:  Yep, the election of Herr Hairpiece was a pretty fucked up event. And, he's included some fairly awful people in his administration. But, I fundamentally disagree with the whole "he was elected because of the far right" narrative. There are not enough wingnuts in this country to swing an election. If there was, we never would have had Obama for 2 terms.

The only reason I disagree is because throughout his campaign he kept saying some very far-right things.

Like what?

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
24-06-2017, 08:59 AM

And I never blamed the election of Trump on the "alt right". In fact I put all the blame for it on those who consider themselves moderate and yet still voted for Donald Fucking Trump. And really, if they're willing to do that, what good is it to call them moderate?

Who do you consider moderate these days? Mitch McConnell? Have you seen the health care bill he wrote? Paul Ryan? That guy wouldn't stand up to Trump if he ordered his own execution.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it. (G.B.Shaw)
24-06-2017, 09:15 AM
(23-06-2017 09:32 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  

Yes he did. He said some pretty disgusting things (and, LDK- you have to be fucking kidding me with the "like what?" comment). But, I categorically reject that's why he won.

Vivian Darkbloom (great name, btw) nailed it - it was moderates who pushed him into office. Well, maybe "moderates" is the wrong word but it was people who did not necessarily buy into his rabid anti-immigration, xenophobic proclamations who were willing to vote for him anyway that won him that election. Traditional working class people in Ohio, Pennsylvania and Michigan that wanted nothing to do with Hillary Clinton that put him over the top and into office. And, even today, a great many of those people say if they had to do it all over again, they would still vote for him.

Did you see the interview Clinton gave a few weeks ago where she gave all the reasons she lost. She's full of shit. She lost because she sucked and she offered all those people absolutely fucking nothing. She was a total sell out. Her campaign slogan may as well have been "I'm not that guy". What's hilarious is he won because he wasn't her.

[+] 3 users Like BnW's post