U.S. churches catching on to communion breads free of gluten

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-12-2014, 12:00 PM
RE: U.S. churches catching on to communion breads free of gluten
(26-12-2014 10:17 AM)Gordon Wrote:  But even in the canonical Gospels, he clearly states that he's not talking literally about cannibalism, but rather a spiritual consumption.

Seems awfully literal in the Gospel of John (Chap. 6). So much so that he supposedly lost a lot of disciples because of it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-12-2014, 12:31 PM
(25-12-2014 07:13 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  I guess the whole transubstantiation thing isn't really working out. Laughat

Dec 24 (Reuters) - Rachel Rieger figured getting diagnosed with celiac disease and having to rid gluten from her diet meant she could no longer partake of the wheat-based communion bread that represents a key facet of her Catholic faith.

"It was tough for me to cope with," said Rieger, 23.

She was thrilled when her priest in Cleveland, Ohio, told her the church allows a low-gluten wafer generally considered safe for people who suffer damage to their small intestine when they eat the gluten protein found in wheat, barley and rye.

The priest would keep one of the low-gluten wafers aside for Rieger when she received communion.

Low-gluten and gluten-free communion options are becoming more readily available at churches across the United States, as religious leaders respond to the increasing prevalence of people with gluten intolerance and manufacturers create products that meet most dietary and liturgical needs.

Researchers say celiac disease is now four times more common than it was 60 years ago, though many of the approximately one in 100 people who have it go undiagnosed. The autoimmune disorder can cause severe stomach pain, weight loss and fatigue.

Sister Lynn D'Souza spent several years helping to create the recipe for low-gluten hosts made by the Benedictine Sisters of Perpetual Adoration in Clyde, Missouri, after hearing from churchgoers unable to take communion due to wheat sensitivities.

Sales have increased ever since the nuns began selling their niche wafers almost 11 years ago. They will sell about $150,000 worth of the breads this year, a five-fold increase from the $30,000 in low-gluten sales in 2007, she said.

Consider

I would think she could just pray about it...surely god wouldnt let harm come to one of his faithful people fulfilling his demands of worship....

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
26-12-2014, 12:34 PM
Whether literal or symbolic, the effects of communion don't last very long. Whatever it is that communion does to you physically and/or psychologically has evaporated within a week, and has to be done all over again, in full, at least every seventh day.

Now, before you rush in here and say digestion is temporary and has to be repeated daily to continue benefiting from its effects, step back and take in the larger picture: communion is not a process for corporal nourishment, its purpose is a spiritual reinforcement.

You have to ask, if a supernatural omnipowerful being has developed a means of spiritual reinforcement, why employ something weak as mere human meat and blood to manifest the effect? Processed via digestion it only lasts about a week, if that long.

Vaccines effects last much longer. Years. Even decades. It seems to me a smart god would long ago have developed communion as a mechanism closer to vaccination, so you wouldn't have to chase down a priest every week to get a refill, and whatever beneficial effects communion is supposed to imbue in mankind would have more permanence.

If, for example, an intended effect of communion is to improve general sociability (you know, friendliness, generosity, more forgiving, etc.), it'd be a lot smarter, if you'd want these effects to be much more intrinsic to our society than they are, to achieve it in a fashion that has some permanence.

Since communion depends on a method that predates vaccination, one can only conclude that a smart god was not actually involved in its development. Not a smart one.
26-12-2014, 01:25 PM
(26-12-2014 11:34 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  *1. The past participle of eat, is "have eaten", (Mr. "Writer" hahahahahaha)

Who gives a shit? Hobo

Quote:*2. Post the references. I don't recall ANY such clarification. In fact, no real, "Kosher-keeping" JEW would, in a million years have anything to do with drinking blood. It's one of the reasons we know that the gospels were just all made up bullshit.

You're welcome. Drinking Beverage

You idiot. Look it up.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-12-2014, 01:32 PM (This post was last modified: 26-12-2014 01:37 PM by Gordon.)
(26-12-2014 12:00 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(26-12-2014 10:17 AM)Gordon Wrote:  But even in the canonical Gospels, he clearly states that he's not talking literally about cannibalism, but rather a spiritual consumption.

Seems awfully literal in the Gospel of John (Chap. 6). So much so that he supposedly lost a lot of disciples because of it.

Don't act stupid. Read the 63rd verse. And you don't have to, because I know you know it's already there. That's the problem with atheists, they are very good at murdering their intellect, playing dumb whenever they need to prop up their philosophy.

But, hey, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe you don't know. And, yep, Jesus lost all of his followers at that point except for the 12. Do you really think that was an accident? Look at the kind of follower Jesus is trying to cultivate. It's not masses of ignorant people all under the control of a hierarchy of priests and preachers that tickle their ears with positive trash. It's spiritual people. People who have come to realize the spirit is the real person and the will of God matters more than what we can get out of this temporary world.
26-12-2014, 01:49 PM
(26-12-2014 01:25 PM)Gordon Wrote:  
(26-12-2014 11:34 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  *1. The past participle of eat, is "have eaten", (Mr. "Writer" hahahahahaha)

Who gives a shit? Hobo

Quote:*2. Post the references. I don't recall ANY such clarification. In fact, no real, "Kosher-keeping" JEW would, in a million years have anything to do with drinking blood. It's one of the reasons we know that the gospels were just all made up bullshit.

You're welcome. Drinking Beverage

You idiot. Look it up.

Exactly. Thumbsup
When faced with inconveniences all you can ever offer is infantile retorts.
Maybe someday you'll get an education so you can offer something of substance.
No one will hold their breath.
Sadcryface2

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
26-12-2014, 01:50 PM
(26-12-2014 01:32 PM)Gordon Wrote:  
(26-12-2014 12:00 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Seems awfully literal in the Gospel of John (Chap. 6). So much so that he supposedly lost a lot of disciples because of it.

Don't act stupid. Read the 63rd verse. And you don't have to, because I know you know it's already there. That's the problem with atheists, they are very good at murdering their intellect, playing dumb whenever they need to prop up their philosophy.

Verse 63 (NIV) The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you—they are full of the Spirit[e] and life.
(KJV) It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.
(From biblegateway.com)

I actually agree with you that the whole chapter is speaking symbolically and the literal reading is missing the point. I don't think verse 63 is a clear refutation of that for anybody that does take it literally though. It can also be understood as an admonishment that earlier prohibitions can be ignored because they aren't important any more. That's the problem I have with most of the bible... you can interpret it any way you want and there's no definitive way to know which is correct. I don't know what the original author intended and you have no way to demonstrate to me that you do.

Quote:But, hey, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe you don't know. And, yep, Jesus lost all of his followers at that point except for the 12.

It doesn't say that. It says he lost many followers and that he didn't lose the 12 but it is not specific as to how many actually remained.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
26-12-2014, 02:39 PM
please delete.
26-12-2014, 02:40 PM
Sorry, I had some bad bb code. please delete.
26-12-2014, 02:41 PM
(26-12-2014 01:50 PM)unfogged Wrote:  I actually agree with you that the whole chapter is speaking symbolically and the literal reading is missing the point. I don't think verse 63 is a clear refutation of that for anybody that does take it literally though. It can also be understood as an admonishment that earlier prohibitions can be ignored because they aren't important any more. That's the problem I have with most of the bible... you can interpret it any way you want and there's no definitive way to know which is correct. I don't know what the original author intended and you have no way to demonstrate to me that you do.

True, one could construe that to mean it's okay to eat flesh, because it counts for nothing. Of course, since there is no indication in the Gospel that he ever did eat flesh, or that his disciples did, or that they ever did after his departure, or any time in history, and then there is the fact that they used bread at the Last Supper and he said, "This is my body," but of course, the didn't really mean that either. So, I don't think a rational person would see John 6 as go-ahead for cannibalism.

But you're right. The Bible, and not even that, the Gospels themselves, can be made to say whatever you want them to say.

But if there were thousands of sects of "Christ-only" Christians, like Veridicans, and if there were some that ate human flesh and drank human blood. I think they would die out pretty quickly. They'd either kill themselves or others would kill them off.

But even then they'd have no justification for it. Jesus said, eat me (for lack of a better phrase). He never told us to eat each other. So...

And that actually brings me to another point (not that anyone's listening to me at this point), but as a general rule, when reading the Gospels critically, the interpretation has to apply to all times. If an interpretation makes the Gospel record applicable only to, say, the first century, then it's not being interpreted correctly.

So, even that rule of Gospel analysis rules out a literal interpretation of eating Jesus' flesh.

Quote:It doesn't say that. It says he lost many followers and that he didn't lose the 12 but it is not specific as to how many actually remained.

That's true. Point taken.