UCLA murder/suicide

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-06-2016, 06:55 AM
UCLA murder/suicide
A student upset over grades, kills a professor and himself.
http://gawker.com/sources-ucla-student-s...socialflow

Fucking sad. Not only that students care about grades more than life, but that we have an education system that has trained them to focus on grades and test scores so much that they don't understand what a grade is or how it works by the time they are in college. This professor lost his life because a student can't separate grades from a reward/punishment system.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-06-2016, 07:34 AM
RE: UCLA murder/suicide
I live about 30 seconds away from the UCLA campus, and graduated last year. My only hope is that this tragedy can result in more than just fear and sadness. There needs to be some sort of change taking place so that this doesn't come close to happening again. UCLA has the resources available to help students who are in crisis, but there isn't enough being done to make students aware of their existence. These need to be brought to the attention of the campus community, while greater changes are put in place to move away from such a high pressure grading system. I don't pretend to know what that would look like, but there is no excuse for such a solution to not be at least considered at this point.
[+] 2 users Like debna27's post
02-06-2016, 07:47 AM
(02-06-2016 07:34 AM)debna27 Wrote:  I live about 30 seconds away from the UCLA campus, and graduated last year. My only hope is that this tragedy can result in more than just fear and sadness. There needs to be some sort of change taking place so that this doesn't come close to happening again. UCLA has the resources available to help students who are in crisis, but there isn't enough being done to make students aware of their existence. These need to be brought to the attention of the campus community, while greater changes are put in place to move away from such a high pressure grading system. I don't pretend to know what that would look like, but there is no excuse for such a solution to not be at least considered at this point.

Campuses have been focusing more and more on making students aware of resources available to them with respect to their academics and their mental health, but reaching everyone and encouraging them to overcome the social stigmas attached to mental health issues is far more difficult.

As for grading, trying to teach students what a grade is and what it means (and therefore to focus less on the grade or score and more on actually learning) is one possibility, but the difficult part is getting that message through to students who've been taught for so long that grades and test scores matter the most and that memorization = learning. Grades reflect how well or how poorly you're learning, they are not a reward/punishment system. Showing up to class does not guarantee you a certain grade. Replying to questions is not the same as answering them. Communication ability is as important as knowledge because if you know something but can't communicate it, then your knowledge is indistinguishable from ignorance.

(I use "you" in a larger sense, I don't mean you specifically.)

-Rick
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
02-06-2016, 08:30 AM
I hadn't heard it was all over a grade.

That's just sadly fucked up. I don't know if the murderer was a first year student or what...but the grading issue goes far deeper.

In many schools here and it was pretty much the same in California if a student failed a test, it could be retaken -- this starts in elementary school and continues in many cases throughout high school. I found it particularly appalling when my older son didn't study as I felt he should, for an exam, failed horribly and had the opportunity to retake the exam.

The other issue I see is the whole paper-less thing, where students turn in work online and the only feedback they see is the grade. It's particularly frustrating to know you earned a 'D' on a paper but never learn 'why' you earned a D.

You can't fix what you don't understand is broken.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
02-06-2016, 10:02 AM
According to LA Police Chief he had a kill list and one of the people on that list, a woman from Minnesota is dead.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
02-06-2016, 10:07 AM
(02-06-2016 10:02 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  According to LA Police Chief he had a kill list and one of the people on that list, a woman from Minnesota is dead.

Well that's fucking distressing.

-Rick
02-06-2016, 10:08 AM
(02-06-2016 10:02 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  According to LA Police Chief he had a kill list and one of the people on that list, a woman from Minnesota is dead.

So there are more victims?

No words...

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

02-06-2016, 10:11 AM
I can't find anything about a kill list or a Minnesota woman, but this appears to be less about grades and more about a graduate student having a failed relationship with their advisor.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016/.../85245782/

-Rick
02-06-2016, 10:20 AM
It doesn't seem to be over a grade, the student apparently got his Ph.D. working for the prof, but blamed the prof for stealing his code and giving it to another student. The student blogged about how much he hated his advisor. I am sure the story will develop more as more details will emerge, but something went seriously wrong between the two.

I've only had one experience with one of my graduate students that went bad. The student was pretty weak and actually flunked out of the program (was unable to keep the required GPA) and it wasn't even due to a class the student took with me. The chair of the department said the student came to him with the letter of dismissal from the program and said that they refused to accept it... Somehow the student blamed me for being out of the program. Things got weird from there as even my other graduate students started joking about which end of the hall the student would begin shooting people... Eventually the student moved on, but I would periodically get these extremely bizarre emails from the former student that freaked out my wife. She encouraged me to talk to my chair, who talked to the police who said that there was nothing they could do, but that the university could block emails to me from the former student. I decided to not follow that route because if somehow the student was becoming unhinged and upping the vitriol of the emails, I would have no way of knowing. Eventually the emails stopped. Unfortunately, when you hear stories like the one at UCLA, it does make you think twice about the possibility of disgruntled students getting violent.
[+] 1 user Likes Iñigo's post
02-06-2016, 10:27 AM
(02-06-2016 10:20 AM)Iñigo Wrote:  It doesn't seem to be over a grade, the student apparently got his Ph.D. working for the prof, but blamed the prof for stealing his code and giving it to another student. The student blogged about how much he hated his advisor. I am sure the story will develop more as more details will emerge, but something went seriously wrong between the two.

I've only had one experience with one of my graduate students that went bad. The student was pretty weak and actually flunked out of the program (was unable to keep the required GPA) and it wasn't even due to a class the student took with me. The chair of the department said the student came to him with the letter of dismissal from the program and said that they refused to accept it... Somehow the student blamed me for being out of the program. Things got weird from there as even my other graduate students started joking about which end of the hall the student would begin shooting people... Eventually the student moved on, but I would periodically get these extremely bizarre emails from the former student that freaked out my wife. She encouraged me to talk to my chair, who talked to the police who said that there was nothing they could do, but that the university could block emails to me from the former student. I decided to not follow that route because if somehow the student was becoming unhinged and upping the vitriol of the emails, I would have no way of knowing. Eventually the emails stopped. Unfortunately, when you hear stories like the one at UCLA, it does make you think twice about the possibility of disgruntled students getting violent.

My advisor had a student go off the deep end about two years ago, which actually put me at more risk than him because she focused her negative attention me as the source of her failing.

It's distressing regardless. Protecting yourself from students isn't your first thought, but when you do think about it, how do you actually do it?

-Rick