UCLA murder/suicide

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-06-2016, 10:29 AM
RE: UCLA murder/suicide
Well, that sounds sordid. I'll have to read the link later.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-06-2016, 10:41 AM
(02-06-2016 10:27 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(02-06-2016 10:20 AM)Iñigo Wrote:  It doesn't seem to be over a grade, the student apparently got his Ph.D. working for the prof, but blamed the prof for stealing his code and giving it to another student. The student blogged about how much he hated his advisor. I am sure the story will develop more as more details will emerge, but something went seriously wrong between the two.

I've only had one experience with one of my graduate students that went bad. The student was pretty weak and actually flunked out of the program (was unable to keep the required GPA) and it wasn't even due to a class the student took with me. The chair of the department said the student came to him with the letter of dismissal from the program and said that they refused to accept it... Somehow the student blamed me for being out of the program. Things got weird from there as even my other graduate students started joking about which end of the hall the student would begin shooting people... Eventually the student moved on, but I would periodically get these extremely bizarre emails from the former student that freaked out my wife. She encouraged me to talk to my chair, who talked to the police who said that there was nothing they could do, but that the university could block emails to me from the former student. I decided to not follow that route because if somehow the student was becoming unhinged and upping the vitriol of the emails, I would have no way of knowing. Eventually the emails stopped. Unfortunately, when you hear stories like the one at UCLA, it does make you think twice about the possibility of disgruntled students getting violent.

My advisor had a student go off the deep end about two years ago, which actually put me at more risk than him because she focused her negative attention me as the source of her failing.

It's distressing regardless. Protecting yourself from students isn't your first thought, but when you do think about it, how do you actually do it?

Exactly! How do you do it? College campuses are open with freedom to move in and out rooms and buildings. My office door is always open as I try to be as available as possible to my students and even if it was closed, that wouldn't change anything since I would open it if someone knocked.

Sorry to hear about your fellow worker.
[+] 1 user Likes Iñigo's post
02-06-2016, 10:53 AM
More info on the woman...kill list...etc....

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016/.../85292408/

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
02-06-2016, 11:38 AM
Hate this stuff. Hate the lack of appreciation of life. Hate the will to take it so easily. And the means to do so.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post