UFO Disclosure

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-09-2015, 08:24 PM
RE: UFO Disclosure
(15-09-2015 08:16 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  [quote='cjlr' pid='855564' dateline='1442369498']Once you've sunk so low as to telling someone that you will "let them be your bitch", I think the community is fully within its rights to consider you an absolutely vile little piece of misery.

I've been on web forums since Usenet. I know when I am being trolled, and I hit back as fucking hard as hell. This forum is a cake-walk compared to the early nineties.

You gotta dish out as much as you can take, or else you are quite done.

That's life.

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-09-2015, 08:24 PM
(15-09-2015 08:24 PM)Free Wrote:  
(15-09-2015 08:16 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  [quote='cjlr' pid='855564' dateline='1442369498']Once you've sunk so low as to telling someone that you will "let them be your bitch", I think the community is fully within its rights to consider you an absolutely vile little piece of misery.

I've been on web forums since Usenet. I know when I am being trolled, and I hit back as fucking hard as hell. This forum is a cake-walk compared to the early nineties.

That's life.

So you'd rather be defensive than right.

I suppose that's your prerogative...

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
15-09-2015, 08:26 PM
(15-09-2015 08:24 PM)Free Wrote:  You gotta dish out as much as you can take, or else you are quite done.

It helps if what you are "dishing out" is at all rational.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 1 user Likes Unbeliever's post
15-09-2015, 08:37 PM
(15-09-2015 08:21 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(15-09-2015 08:20 PM)cjlr Wrote:  In which case the frothingly self-congratulatory rhetoric you've spewed out throughout - now admittedly subjectively grounded, if even that - serves what purpose, precisely?

Making him feel extremely self-satisfied and intellectually superior.

It isn't something he gets to experience much in other circumstances, you see.

In real life?

You have no idea.

I have people coming at me 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, asking nothing but technical questions and asking me to find solutions. All I ever get from people is an impression from them that I am intellectually superior, but I actually am not.

I have an above average IQ, but nothing to write home about. I am an average guy who people IRL think is "intellectually superior", but only because I work with computers and for some fucking reason that alone impresses them. So because of that, all I ever get is an unwarranted "intellectually superior" and I'm sick of that.

Aside from the computer shit, I spent 25 years as an entertainer, but I got too busy with the computer shit and had to stop.

I am not intellectually superior to anyone.

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
15-09-2015, 08:40 PM
(15-09-2015 08:37 PM)Free Wrote:  
(15-09-2015 08:21 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Making him feel extremely self-satisfied and intellectually superior.

It isn't something he gets to experience much in other circumstances, you see.

In real life?

You have no idea.

I have people coming at me 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, asking nothing but technical questions and asking me to find solutions. All I ever get from people is an impression from them that I am intellectually superior, but I actually am not.

I have an above average IQ, but nothing to write home about. I am an average guy who people IRL think is "intellectually superior", but only because I work with computers and for some fucking reason that alone impresses them. So because of that, all I ever get is an unwarranted "intellectually superior" and I'm sick of that.

Aside from the computer shit, I spent 25 years as an entertainer, but I got too busy with the computer shit and had to stop.

Okay, fair cop and all...

But then, why do you insist so steadfastly that your subjective personal experience is worth more than any possible external corroboration or lack thereof, when in fact you reject the subjective experiences of everyone whose interpretations you don't share?

[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
15-09-2015, 08:45 PM
(15-09-2015 08:24 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(15-09-2015 08:24 PM)Free Wrote:  I've been on web forums since Usenet. I know when I am being trolled, and I hit back as fucking hard as hell. This forum is a cake-walk compared to the early nineties.

That's life.

So you'd rather be defensive than right.

We have argued enough for you to have learned by now that when I know someone has a point, I will acknowledge it.

But if I believe they don't, I will argue with them until they convince me they are right or I prove them wrong, for if they don't provide a convincing argument, then I am not wrong.

Its' all about how I am approached in a debate. If someone takes a swing at me, I will go for their throat. If they are reasonable, I can be reasoned with.

15-09-2015, 08:49 PM
(15-09-2015 08:45 PM)Free Wrote:  
(15-09-2015 08:24 PM)cjlr Wrote:  So you'd rather be defensive than right.

We have argued enough for you to have learned by now that when I know someone has a point, I will acknowledge it.

But if I believe they don't, I will argue with them until they convince me they are right or I prove them wrong, for if they don't provide a convincing argument, then I am not wrong.

Its' all about how I am approached in a debate. If someone takes a swing at me, I will go for their throat. If they are reasonable, I can be reasoned with.

Tone policing isn't debate.

Your standards for what constitutes a "convincing argument" are themselves inherently subjective, of course, particularly when challenging sincerely held presuppositions, and when that standard is in direct, explicit contradiction of a great number of otherwise intelligent and reasonable people...

Saying you're [apparently] wrong and [demonstrably] unsubsantiated in your position is not a personal attack. There's no need to treat it as one.

15-09-2015, 08:51 PM
(15-09-2015 08:40 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(15-09-2015 08:37 PM)Free Wrote:  In real life?

You have no idea.

Okay, fair cop and all...

But then, why do you insist so steadfastly that your subjective personal experience is worth more than any possible external corroboration or lack thereof, when in fact you reject the subjective experiences of everyone whose interpretations you don't share?

I don't think that my personal experience is worth more than external corroboration at all. Sure I value it, but if I can find external corroboration for or against, then I welcome it either way.

I only reject so many other's subjective experiences because they do not relate to me, and/or they are far too dubious.

15-09-2015, 08:57 PM
(15-09-2015 08:51 PM)Free Wrote:  I only reject so many other's subjective experiences because they do not relate to me, and/or they are far too dubious.

Save when it comes to the idea of alien visitation. Then you bend over backwards to try and allow it as evidence.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
15-09-2015, 08:57 PM
(15-09-2015 08:51 PM)Free Wrote:  
(15-09-2015 08:40 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Okay, fair cop and all...

I don't think that my personal experience is worth more than external corroboration at all. Sure I value it, but if I can find external corroboration for or against, then I welcome it either way.

And when that corroboration is wishful thinking, unfalsifiable special pleading?

(15-09-2015 08:51 PM)Free Wrote:  I only reject so many other's subjective experiences because they do not relate to me, and/or they are far too dubious.

"Others" here being the entire established scientific corpus. I guess that's an option.

[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post