(28-04-2012 09:10 PM)Eru Wrote:  This defiantly poses a sound idea

Are you on fucking crack?

Every mystery ever solved has turned out to be not magic. - Tim Minchin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Napoleon's post
29-04-2012, 01:29 PM
RE: UFO's time machines ?
I remember back in '99 in my high school English class, a girl made this hypothesis concerning the subject of UFO's. I was blown away at how much sense it actually makes. Here's what she said:

"I think UFO's are humans from the future. The reason they never land or communicate with us is because they do not want to disrupt the course of life as it might alter their future. The reason they fly in our atmosphere is so that they can study the earth and humans from that particular time. You know how most of the descriptions of aliens involve large heads with enlarged black eyes with grayish skin? Well I think in the future, something went wrong with either our sun or our atmosphere causing the earth to to dark and somehow we evolved. The gray skin and large black eyes are due to the lack of sunlight. The large head is for an even bigger brain. Perhaps we had a nuclear war and as a result, we destructed the atmosphere."

I though it was the best explanation for UFO's I ever heard lol.

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like NoahsFarce's post
29-04-2012, 02:45 PM
Why time travel? Is that even possible? Last time I checked time was not a real dimension, more like a coeficient of change or entropy in a system, depending on the amount of energy in it.

Yes, time may be entwined with space into a space-time, but just because we can move backwards in space doesn't mean we can move backwards in time. In a sense, every movement in space is forward. And every movement in time is forward. So why do we still think of time travel machines, do we watch TV too much?

I've heard talk of phenomena that suggest time travel is possible. The much skeptically accursed movie What the **** Do We Know described several scientific experiments, some of them allegedly defying causality or linearity of time or something. One experiment I remember was about recording randomly generated sounds either in left or right headphone. These records were locked in a safe and then the participants wished them to have more left or right sounds. When the records were retrieved, they had prevailing sounds according to how the participants later wished. I can't find this study in the Bleep study guide , maybe it's in the second volume of the movie. But sure it sounds weird.

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!
[+] 2 users Like Luminon's post
29-04-2012, 08:45 PM
(28-04-2012 09:10 PM)Eru Wrote:  Was doing some reading and came over the conspiracy that
[font=verdana, arial, sans-serif] "UFOs are actually time machines from the future of Earth" . This defiantly poses a sound idea, but why would the travelers simply be flying over us ? I know they could be just wanting to see what our time is like , and even maybe they actually land them. It could be , it could be not, the norm for conspiracies . [/font]
[font=verdana, arial, sans-serif][/font][font=verdana, arial, sans-serif][/font][font=verdana, arial, sans-serif] I think that intelligent life is still the answer for UFO's , but I always raise the question to myself, "Why dont they make contact? " Thats for another topic I suppose.[/font][font=verdana, arial, sans-serif]What are your guy's thoughts on this ?[/font]
They're looking for Jimmy Hoffa's body.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
30-04-2012, 01:41 AM
I dont see it as an impossibility that we have been visited by aliens over history....... then again I wouldnt be surprised if nowadays a lot of ufos were probably man made now.

As for time travel???? There could be infinite amounts of different dimensions........ all containing different versions of time and consequence..... I suppose there is no guarantee that you could travel back historicly correct. That you would travel out of this time frame/dimension means that you wouldnt change that dimension, you would just be gone. The only way to then influence this time/dimension would be to come back..... but given the possibly infinite amounts of time/dimensions there is no guarantee I suppose that you could come back accurately, or that you wouldnt settle for a more comfortable life/existence.

You could get lost in "time" Shocking Laughat

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
30-04-2012, 02:15 AM
Time travel is impossible. At least from what I understand and the idea that you could travel back in time by going faster then the speed of light because that is just a bullshit crazy idea.
I would be happy to argue why if anyone believes we could actually travel back in time by going faster then the speed of light.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
30-04-2012, 05:14 AM
(30-04-2012 02:15 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Time travel is impossible. At least from what I understand and the idea that you could travel back in time by going faster then the speed of light because that is just a bullshit crazy idea.
I would be happy to argue why if anyone believes we could actually travel back in time by going faster then the speed of light.
Time travel is not impossible. Theoretically, it is possible. Someone mentioned earlier about us only being able to travel back to the point and place where the machine was made. Someone already made this machine is blasting particles as we speak. I watched this story a couple years ago. I should try to dig up more info on it. I remember the guy saying "What would be really neat is that when I first turn this thing on, a particle pops up suggesting that future me sent it to present me" or something to that effect.

The whole "faster than the speed of light" subject is a non-issue. If that is ever achieved, it would violate all known laws of physics and we would have to rethink everything. We do know that if you approach light speed, you will age much, much slower. I forgot the math, but if you travel at light speed and take a space trip, by the time you get back everyone you know will have died of old age and you'd still be around the same age.

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
30-04-2012, 05:27 AM
While Time Travel is theoretically possible, there's no reason to believe that UFOs are anything of the sort. Or that they're aliens. Or that they're government experiments.

People see things. Our perceptions aren't perfect. And our imaginations run away with us. We are stupid monkeys with a too-wide-imagination and too-low-Intelligence.
To be honest I wouldn't have it any other way. We wouldn't have all these great books if we didn't think out of the box. But knowing what's real and what's not can be rather nice.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
[+] 1 user Likes Smooshmonster's post
30-04-2012, 07:56 AM
(30-04-2012 05:27 AM)Smooshmonster Wrote:  While Time Travel is theoretically possible, there's no reason to believe that UFOs are anything of the sort. Or that they're aliens. Or that they're government experiments.

People see things. Our perceptions aren't perfect. And our imaginations run away with us. We are stupid monkeys with a too-wide-imagination and too-low-Intelligence.
To be honest I wouldn't have it any other way. We wouldn't have all these great books if we didn't think out of the box. But knowing what's real and what's not can be rather nice.
I agree with the exception of your government experiment comment. I grew up in Vegas which is by Area 51 (yes, it is/was real, just not the stupid Alien Flying Objects type) and Nellis Air Force Base. They tested planes all the time. I remember hanging out in my pool with my friend back in the early 90's and both of us seeing this black thing whiz across the sky. Seconds later, we heard a sonic boom. That was pretty friggen awesome. We were both like, "I wondered why that plane didn't make a noise".

Obviously they were testing super sonic aircraft. I've seen plenty of "weird" things like that in the sky above the desert.

Keep in mind, people used to see the Stealth bomber and mistook that for AFO's (I refuse to use the initialism "UFO" to describe alien craft).

But yea, I agree that the vast majority are just cases of mistaken identity or work of the imagination.

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
30-04-2012, 09:43 AM
(30-04-2012 05:27 AM)Smooshmonster Wrote:  While Time Travel is theoretically possible, there's no reason to believe that UFOs are anything of the sort. Or that they're aliens. Or that they're government experiments.

Why ya gotta go spoiling everyone's fun?

Pfff. Fuckin' buzzkill. Sad

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My