UK EU Referendum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-01-2013, 04:49 PM
UK EU Referendum.
So there has been noise for a while about the UK holding a referendum to see if we should stay in the European Union. Now it is not often that I will quote the Dailymail as it is the UKs equivalent of Fox news, however yesterday they printed this article.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...es-EU.html

Now for myself and everybody I speak too about this, sure, we dont know the ins and outs of trade relationships within the EU etc etc. However all arguements I have seen against leaving have been matched with realistic sounding reasons why it shouldnt really be a problem. What people are pissed off with is the fact that we give billions away to the EU and we dont really see anything in return (if they actually printed news about this issue instead of all the bullshit articles about which celebrity is shagging who, then that may be a different matter) Also this place is being flooded with immigrants.... and I mean FLOODED!!!

Im not racist, I have no problem with people coming over here to try and make a better life for themselves, however what I have a problem with is the fact that it isnt up to us (the UK) on the numbers that come across. It is decided by unelected (as in by the people) members of the European Parliment and the numbers that are coming over are too much.

So its going to be interesting to see what happens. If we do have this fabled referendum (which may be the first time in my life that I actually vote for something) and the numbers come back in favour of leaving, will this shitty coallition goverment that rule over us allow this to happen?

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-01-2013, 05:40 PM
RE: UK EU Referendum.
I can honestly say I am hoping with every fibre of my being that this is not a referendum about this.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 2 users Like Hughsie's post
13-01-2013, 06:05 PM
I don't have the figures and I don't care enough to go look but I thought the reason the uk stays in the EU is we gain far more from the trade deals and the funding for regeneration projects etc than we pay in.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
13-01-2013, 06:17 PM
(13-01-2013 06:05 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  I don't have the figures and I don't care enough to go look but I thought the reason the uk stays in the EU is we gain far more from the trade deals and the funding for regeneration projects etc than we pay in.

I could well imagine we do.

That's why I hope it doesn't go to a referendum, I also don't have the figures and also can't be arsed looking them up, just like 99% of the population. In this case (and almost all others) referendum is just a fancy word for "leave the decision in the hands of people who have no knowledge on the subject or basis to form an opinion other than what other, equally uninformed people (eg. the tabloids) tell them they should think".

Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
[+] 2 users Like Hughsie's post
13-01-2013, 06:37 PM
(13-01-2013 06:17 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  In this case (and almost all others) referendum is just a fancy word for "leave the decision in the hands of people who have no knowledge on the subject or basis to form an opinion other than what other, equally uninformed people (eg. the tabloids) tell them they should think".
Cant the same be said though about general elections?

People voting on policies they know nothing about except what they read/listen/watch in the mainstream?

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
13-01-2013, 06:47 PM
Just a heads up, my knowledge of the EU is near zero so bare with my ignorance.

If the pro's for staying in the EU are trade deals that seems really stupid.
The UK has good relations with all countries in Europe, it doesn't need something like the EU to make those trade deals for it.

It does seem really really shit that the EU can make laws even though it's not elected in by the people. Any 5year old could tell you the lack of democracy in that system.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
13-01-2013, 06:49 PM
(13-01-2013 06:37 PM)bemore Wrote:  Cant the same be said though about general elections?

People voting on policies they know nothing about except what they read/listen/watch in the mainstream?

I'm not a huge fan of democracy in general. My view is that it is terrible but, unfortunately, the best of a bad situation. Crap as it is it's the best we currently have.

Best
Worst
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
13-01-2013, 06:53 PM
(13-01-2013 06:49 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(13-01-2013 06:37 PM)bemore Wrote:  Cant the same be said though about general elections?

I'm not a huge fan of democracy in general. My view is that it is terrible but, unfortunately, the best of a bad situation. Crap as it is it's the best we currently have.

I agree, Dictatorship is the best system we have in terms of systems. (And different forms, ie: Monarchy)
The only problem being that you need the right person in power.

I think part of the problem with Democracy is the short time frame of which the elected person/party is in power is so short. Perhaps a better way would be to give them power for say 10years, rather then 3 or 4.

13-01-2013, 06:56 PM
(13-01-2013 06:53 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I agree, Dictatorship is the best system we have in terms of systems. (And different forms, ie: Monarchy)

I think part of the problem with Democracy is the short time frame of which the elected person/party is in power is so short. Perhaps a better way would be to give them power for say 10years, rather then 3 or 4.

I tend to think that one of the differences between democracy and dictatorships is that dictatorships risk corruption whilst democracies guarantee it. However, in democracies the scope for corruption is far reduced.

Best
Worst
13-01-2013, 06:58 PM
(13-01-2013 06:56 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(13-01-2013 06:53 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I agree, Dictatorship is the best system we have in terms of systems. (And different forms, ie: Monarchy)

I tend to think that one of the differences between democracy and dictatorships is that dictatorships risk corruption whilst democracies guarantee it. However, in democracies the scope for corruption is far reduced.

I don't think that's the system, I think that's the countries.
If some big corporation can by a politician under democracy, he can do it under dictatorship too.