UN Anti Blasphemy Resolution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-10-2010, 10:41 AM
RE: UN Anti Blasphemy Resolution
(24-10-2010 09:32 AM)TruthAddict Wrote:  I'm sure there will never be anti-blasphemy laws in the US (hopefully). It is one of the things I value about living here.

Ditto.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-10-2010, 11:21 AM
So, I was curious that this came up all the sudden and I had not heard about it and did some Googling. This resolution was put forth in 2008 and shot down in 2009. It was opposed by the Bush administration and, near as I can tell, the Obama administration.

I'm not sure why it's coming up now or why anyone would be worried about it. Even if it was passed it would not reach the threshold of being a law. It's more of a symbolic gesture that, if passed, would basically say "we, the citizens of the world care more about the personal sensisiblities of certain groups who are already bat-shit crazy over religion then individual freedoms and liberties, the very thing the UN was ostensibly created to protect and preserve".

Little ado about nothing. What else you got?

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
24-10-2010, 01:24 PM
I don't live in the US so I have a reason to be a bit worried about this.

I was curious if anyone had any idea how to shoot this thing down if it reared is ugly head and if anyone had to deal with it in their own country.
I admit I'm not up to date with all resolutions and laws at the moment.
24-10-2010, 03:03 PM

It's all about not pissing off people that go, "BOOM!" and issue death warrants against cartoonists! Clearly Muhammad never had a Ha Ha bone in his body! (I guess they edited the title since 2008,from anti-blasphemy, unto defamation?)

Christian Groups Intensify Efforts Against U.N. Defamation Resolution

"A U.N. resolution that seeks to criminalize words and actions perceived as attacks against religion – particularly Islam – will be up for vote again this year."

More Here: (You Tube 2009)

UN’s Anti-Blasphemy Resolution restricts free speech, promotes Islam
Quote this message in a reply
24-10-2010, 04:32 PM
Amusing that one religious group is defending freedom of speech from another.
24-10-2010, 05:26 PM

Ah yes, the pussification of society, as George Carlin would call it. I am sick and tired of special protections being afforded to Islam. If they threaten to kill you because you draw a cartoon, you draw more cartoons and have the government treat these motherfuckers like everyone else. If they issue death threats, they should be put under surveillance by the FBI or an equivalent organization and arrested if they try and anything.

Instead, we have to be "tolerant," which as described in another thread, is completely the opposite of actual tolerance.

Unfortunately though, opposing this would put you in lockstep with Christian organizations, which I have no desire to do.
24-10-2010, 05:43 PM
(24-10-2010 01:24 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  I don't live in the US so I have a reason to be a bit worried about this.

I was curious if anyone had any idea how to shoot this thing down if it reared is ugly head and if anyone had to deal with it in their own country.

I really wouldn't worry about it. First, it's already been shot down. Second, what was proposed was a non-binding resolution - meaning it was an attempt to make a symbolic statement and nothing more. Third, regardless of where you live, a UN resolution is not the same as a law. Now, your country could, I suppose, go through the political process to codify this stupidity but if you live in one of the western industrialized nations of Europe I'm inclined to believe no politician with a desire to continue in politics is going to raise a pro-Islam law that prevents people from taking shots at the Prophet - especially after the reaction to the cartoon fiasco.

Crazier things have happened so I can't say there is zero risk but I think you're probably safe. Now, I saw we all focus on the real issue with the UN: the fact that all these diplomat assholes double park in New York City, never pay their damn tickets, and still manage to take up all the parking in midtown available on the east side.

24-10-2010, 05:59 PM

(24-10-2010 05:26 PM)TruthAddict Wrote:  Ah yes, the pussification of society, as George Carlin would call it. I am sick and tired of special protections being afforded to Islam. If they threaten to kill you because you draw a cartoon, you draw more cartoons and have the government treat these motherfuckers like everyone else. If they issue death threats, they should be put under surveillance by the FBI or an equivalent organization and arrested if they try and anything.

Instead, we have to be "tolerant," which as described in another thread, is completely the opposite of actual tolerance.

Unfortunately though, opposing this would put you in lockstep with Christian organizations, which I have no desire to do.
Personally, speaking against the UN proposal regardless of who one makes as an ally in that regard, is more important than worrying about being in accord with the Christians. We're all going to be affected by this special privilege that's being extended to Islam and Muslims especially.

People have a right to speak against a terrorist religion. And if the UN doesn't approve of that, then they are no better than the terrorists they seek to pander to.
(24-10-2010 05:43 PM)BnW Wrote:  
(24-10-2010 01:24 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  I don't live in the US so I have a reason to be a bit worried about this.

I really wouldn't worry about it. First, it's already been shot down.

I don't think you read the October 14th 2010 article.

"A U.N. resolution that seeks to criminalize words and actions perceived as attacks against religion – particularly Islam – will be up for vote again this year."
24-10-2010, 06:54 PM (This post was last modified: 24-10-2010 07:02 PM by BnW.)
From the article:Annually sponsored by the Organization of the Islamic Conference (OIC) since 1999, the anti-defamation resolution – which has been presented in various forms and under various titles – seeks to make the "defamation of religions" a human rights violation.

So, they are 0 - 10. Why worry about this now? And, whether or not it comes up for another vote, the rest of what I said to gaglamesh still stands: this resolution means nothing. Even if if passes, who cares? What's the UN going to do about it?

Not only is this nonsense not worth 2 seconds of your time, but TruthAddict probably hit upon the truth of what is probably going on here. There is the growing dimwitted movement in the US now to "stop the spread of Sharia law in the US." I'd bet even money that this nonsense is one more step in the crusade to spread fear and get ordinary Americans to worry about something that is not in any way, shape or form a threat to them. Worrying about Sharia Law taking over in the US is the the intellectual equivalent of preparing against an invasion from an army of Big Foot (is the plural Big Feet?) riding in on Lochness monsters with an army of vampires backing them up (although that would make a much better movie).

so, to reiterate my earlier reaction: yawn, and what else you got?

25-10-2010, 01:17 AM
Did that article say "Annually sponsored" or "Annally sposored?"