UNIVERSAL/ABSOLUTE TRUTH... does it exst?
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-10-2014, 05:06 PM
RE: UNIVERSAL/ABSOLUTE TRUTH... does it exst?
(31-10-2014 04:14 PM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  This is the 2nd thread of 3 I wanted to post. Is ANYTHING universally and absolutely true?
Yes or no?

Sorry I came late to the party. To answer you, no. But I have to say that I don't think "truth" exists outside of frameworks like mathematics. Unless you have a different definition of truth than I do.
Find all posts by this user
31-10-2014, 05:07 PM
(31-10-2014 05:00 PM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  Ahh so you disagree when I say math is a constant and can be relied upon... why?

Logic is a conceptual tool invented and used by humans which allows them to reason about the world in order to better understand it and predict events. Logic uses the values of True and False which do not exist in the real world. Fuzzy logic for example is an alternative conceptual tool using degrees of truth and falseness.

In the same way maths has the integer values 0, 1, 2 etc. These symbols only represent states of the real world.

If you wiped out the human race then logic and maths would no longer exist.

There are environments and situations in the real world which cannot be adequately described by our current systems of logic and maths and which either require alternative tools or extensions to our existing tools instead. For example, emergent systems, the singularity of a black hole etc.

The limitations of maths and logic is evident by the number of different forms developed to overcome specific limitations. For example geometry, statistics, Bayesian inference, fuzzy logic, cellular automata, the theory of computation etc.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
31-10-2014, 05:18 PM (This post was last modified: 31-10-2014 05:29 PM by GirlyMan.)
(31-10-2014 05:00 PM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  
(31-10-2014 04:46 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  The fuck atheism got to do with truth? Truth has nothing to do with atheism but has everything to do with having even a basic elementary school understanding of logic.

Because those who are NOT atheist believe in absolute universal truths... they don't change because of social standards... just as math doesn't change according to social standard Wink

Oh my dear fuck. You've never even met a logician or mathematician or scientist in your Godforsaken life have you? Okay Piggy, you got the conch now, prove your assertions. ... But you got no clue what that even means do you? At least Piggy did.

(31-10-2014 04:35 PM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  Changing the truth isn't moral... that's when it becomes a lie, right? Smile
Facepalm

(31-10-2014 04:35 PM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  Ahh so you disagree when I say math is a constant and can be relied upon... why?
Facepalm If math were a constant there would be no mathematicians. Facepalm

(31-10-2014 05:00 PM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  
(31-10-2014 04:46 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  God help your sorry uninformed ass 'cause you're gonna get eaten alive.

By whom?
not you lol

Not here you silly fool. You're gonna get eaten alive in meatspace 'cause it preys on fools and you are ripe for the picking.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
31-10-2014, 05:20 PM
Sure fine gurly... if 1+1 did not consistently =2 we would have no engineering Smile
31-10-2014, 05:21 PM
(31-10-2014 04:21 PM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  I was told you guys didnt mind an honest challenge of your belief... so... I frankly believe Absolute and Universal truth exist. Universal as in time and space is not relevant, truth is truth. Absolute as in ALWAYS true without exception. This is a theistic concept that goes beyond matter and chemical reaction. It transcends society and even worlds.

I imagine most here will disagree with me.. Id like to know why you don't believe in absolute universal truth?

How would you recognize universal absolute truth if you saw it?
It's like asking if infinity exists.
31-10-2014, 05:22 PM
(31-10-2014 05:06 PM)natachan Wrote:  
(31-10-2014 04:14 PM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  This is the 2nd thread of 3 I wanted to post. Is ANYTHING universally and absolutely true?
Yes or no?

Sorry I came late to the party. To answer you, no. But I have to say that I don't think "truth" exists outside of frameworks like mathematics. Unless you have a different definition of truth than I do.

I do believe, as all theists do... that universal truth exists in some moral laws for instance. Although I agree with you on the math too.
31-10-2014, 05:25 PM
(31-10-2014 05:21 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(31-10-2014 04:21 PM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  I was told you guys didnt mind an honest challenge of your belief... so... I frankly believe Absolute and Universal truth exist. Universal as in time and space is not relevant, truth is truth. Absolute as in ALWAYS true without exception. This is a theistic concept that goes beyond matter and chemical reaction. It transcends society and even worlds.

I imagine most here will disagree with me.. Id like to know why you don't believe in absolute universal truth?

How would you recognize universal absolute truth if you saw it?

I just posted a new thread illustrating absolute truth, but only as a way of showing my BIG disagreement with atheism...
31-10-2014, 05:25 PM
(31-10-2014 05:22 PM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  
(31-10-2014 05:06 PM)natachan Wrote:  Sorry I came late to the party. To answer you, no. But I have to say that I don't think "truth" exists outside of frameworks like mathematics. Unless you have a different definition of truth than I do.

I do believe, as all theists do... that universal truth exists in some moral laws for instance. Although I agree with you on the math too.

So, now we're on to absolute objective morality too?
31-10-2014, 05:28 PM (This post was last modified: 31-10-2014 05:42 PM by GirlyMan.)
(31-10-2014 05:20 PM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  Sure fine gurly... if 1+1 did not consistently =2 we would have no engineering Smile

Nope. You got that wrong too RabiesWolfBiteMadeMeFeebleMinded. If 1+1 did not consistently equal 10 we would have no computers. ... But you got no clue what I'm even talking 'bout do you? ... God save your sorry ass.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
31-10-2014, 05:30 PM
(31-10-2014 05:25 PM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  
(31-10-2014 05:21 PM)pablo Wrote:  How would you recognize universal absolute truth if you saw it?

I just posted a new thread illustrating absolute truth, but only as a way of showing my BIG disagreement with atheism...

I lack a belief in a god or gods.
You disagree, show me solid evidence of any god ever existing.
Simple.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
Thread Closed