UNIVERSAL/ABSOLUTE TRUTH... does it exst?
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-10-2014, 05:33 PM
RE: UNIVERSAL/ABSOLUTE TRUTH... does it exst?
(31-10-2014 05:22 PM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  
(31-10-2014 05:06 PM)natachan Wrote:  Sorry I came late to the party. To answer you, no. But I have to say that I don't think "truth" exists outside of frameworks like mathematics. Unless you have a different definition of truth than I do.

I do believe, as all theists do... that universal truth exists in some moral laws for instance. Although I agree with you on the math too.

To the man who likes universal truths.. what constitutes a theist? Because I'm aware of theists and specific religions that don't believe in absolute morality. How knowledgeable are you about Taoism?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
31-10-2014, 05:55 PM
(31-10-2014 05:22 PM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  
(31-10-2014 05:06 PM)natachan Wrote:  Sorry I came late to the party. To answer you, no. But I have to say that I don't think "truth" exists outside of frameworks like mathematics. Unless you have a different definition of truth than I do.

I do believe, as all theists do... that universal truth exists in some moral laws for instance. Although I agree with you on the math too.

I would disagree. And I'm a moral absolutist. I don't think that theist morality is objective. It's arbitrary. The universe is indifferent. Human morality does not exist outside of human beings.

And this is straying far from the "absolute truth" argument anyway. The existence of math (I read a post or two) does not indicate an intelligent creator. It indicates only that we are pattern seeking animals.
31-10-2014, 05:56 PM (This post was last modified: 31-10-2014 08:37 PM by GirlyMan.)
(31-10-2014 05:22 PM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  I do believe, as all theists do... that universal truth exists in some moral laws for instance.

You speak for all theists? You are a comically arrogant silly fool caricature of The Word. You got no clue. You've never even heard The Word. You can't afford the price of admission. ... We should give you a special place with the rest of the children.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
31-10-2014, 08:06 PM
Maybe this might help with the math bit. This is text, so we need imagination. Suppose that '***' is an apple, and so is '*****'. Looking at the math, if I give you a basket with (*** ***) in it, you have two apples. 1 + 1 = 2. If I have a basket with (***** *****) in it, I also have two apples. 1 + 1 = 2. Two is the same number. 2 = 2.
(*** ***)
(***** *****)
Yay! It's universally true that we both have two apples!
31-10-2014, 08:18 PM
His problem with atheism is something that atheism, by definition, isn't involved in.

We lack a belief in any gods. This doesn't make claims on morality. Get over it and stop your word games.
[+] 1 user Likes Kaepora Gaebora's post
31-10-2014, 08:43 PM
(31-10-2014 08:18 PM)Kaepora Gaebora Wrote:  His problem with atheism is something that atheism, by definition, isn't involved in.

We lack a belief in any gods. This doesn't make claims on morality. Get over it and stop your word games.

Girly lacks belief. Drinking Beverage

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
31-10-2014, 08:44 PM
(31-10-2014 04:39 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(31-10-2014 04:36 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Are you related to diddo97?

Does that really add anything?

I am losing patience now and not with the OP.

Woof - FFS, lose the attitude.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
31-10-2014, 09:01 PM
(31-10-2014 04:14 PM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  This is the 2nd thread of 3 I wanted to post. Is ANYTHING universally and absolutely true?
Yes or no?

At first I thought no.
But then you came along and changed my mind.
It is universally and absolutely true that you are a fucking moron.
Naw. I'm just fucking with you. I don't think that it's universally and absolutely that you're a fucking moron. It just happens to be my opinion that you're a fucking moron. Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
31-10-2014, 09:03 PM
(31-10-2014 05:21 PM)pablo Wrote:  How would you recognize universal absolute truth if you saw it?

What is truth?

31-10-2014, 09:16 PM
(31-10-2014 09:03 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(31-10-2014 05:21 PM)pablo Wrote:  How would you recognize universal absolute truth if you saw it?

What is truth?

I should have known it would be dressed all in black.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
Thread Closed