*UPDATE* I have the most terrible coworker EVER?!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-11-2015, 11:51 PM
RE: *UPDATE* I have the most terrible coworker EVER?!
I would continue documenting everything--all incidents with Sally and all convos with managers about Sally--including dates and times. If you think it would help and S would be receptive to it, you could try and talk to her about it. You could say that you know the two of you have had some differences, but you do need to coexist and work together and you would like to be able to get along and resolve your differences. If you don't think S is receptive to a sit down talk with you, I would just continue to do the best you can to keep away from her. If she does anything else, I would talk to your manager again and specifically use the wording "hostile work environment" when speaking with him/her. I would also say that while you do have a thick skin, you also deserve to be treated with respect and have a safe work environment. Having a thick skin doesn't have anything to do with those things. If it were me and the managers were doing shit about someone like that despite my complaints, I personally would look for another job because I would not feel a place like that values their employees.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2015, 01:25 PM
(28-11-2015 05:33 AM)Aoi Magi Wrote:  Harassment amongst co-workers is not often a big deal to the management, but it is curious for the management to stay silent when that spills onto the customers. From your posts, I am quite certain she has at least some connections to your higher-ups, even though you might not be aware of it. So, my advice is, either gather all of the other co-workers and approach the management together, or look for a change of jobs while you still can get a good letter of recommendation.

...Or you can gather written feedback from customers, especially those who have felt her wrath, and present that to the management. If they understand business, that'll get their attention.

It really does seem that way, it feels like no one is taking what she does seriously. And just two days ago she once again had another scene, and walked out. She also flipped me off as she was leaving.
01-12-2015, 01:29 PM
(29-11-2015 11:51 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I would continue documenting everything--all incidents with Sally and all convos with managers about Sally--including dates and times. If you think it would help and S would be receptive to it, you could try and talk to her about it. You could say that you know the two of you have had some differences, but you do need to coexist and work together and you would like to be able to get along and resolve your differences. If you don't think S is receptive to a sit down talk with you, I would just continue to do the best you can to keep away from her. If she does anything else, I would talk to your manager again and specifically use the wording "hostile work environment" when speaking with him/her. I would also say that while you do have a thick skin, you also deserve to be treated with respect and have a safe work environment. Having a thick skin doesn't have anything to do with those things. If it were me and the managers were doing shit about someone like that despite my complaints, I personally would look for another job because I would not feel a place like that values their employees.

Yes, I'm hoping that by the end of the holidays I have a new job, I feel like if I did pull Sally aside she wouldn't listen to me. She's that kind of person that just wants to create drama, she's not receptive. And once again she had another scene 2 days ago, she told my coworker to fuck off and then proceeded to tell my manager that she couldn't work anymore that day even though we were missing staff, and she walked out. And as she walked out she gave me a super dirty look and flipped me off.
01-12-2015, 01:31 PM
(28-11-2015 05:40 AM)morondog Wrote:  Have you explored the formal complaint route that she is creating a hostile work environment that Bucky suggested? I think you might want to actually do that. If the manager that you spoke to is 'handling' Sally and is friendly to you, try talking it over with him. Otherwise yeah, I'd definitely start looking for another job.

I think I'm going to be forced to do that, because apparently me going to my manager isn't enough, so now I'm going to have to go the formal route. My manager is very friendly with me, I'm pretty sure I'm a favorite and I'm hoping that they actually are handling it, because my version of handling it is suspending her indefinitely.
01-12-2015, 01:33 PM
(28-11-2015 07:59 AM)bemore Wrote:  When your head office/HR receive a complaint, they are going to enquire down the chain of command, all the way down to your managers, to ask WTF is going on.

You have now raised the issue on numerous occasions with your managers and they have not outlined a proposed solution to you and you are also seeing no improvement/change.

So you need to go higher now. Either by getting in touch with your area manager or going above him to HR. If you have an official complaints system then use it. Id also look at your employees handbook or contract you have and look up what consitutes gross misconduct and/or a sackable offense.

Yeah in our employee handbook it says that we have to go through our managers first before we go to HR. So now because I've done that, I'm hoping this situation will get rectified. If I don't see any changes in the next month, I'm going to have to do something.
[+] 1 user Likes xastrogasmx's post
01-12-2015, 01:38 PM
(28-11-2015 11:15 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  "Tough-skinned" is a euphemism for I expect you to put up with her shit in order to not rock the boat. It sounds like neither manager is on board with correcting her behavior.

I stand by my advice in your last thread to go to HR.

If you just don't feel like you can do that, find another job.

It seems like you're right about that, and I'm pretty sure Sally and that manager that she always blows up on, had something going on. Because they used to be super close, tell inside jokes, she would always follow him around and then one day that just all stopped.
01-12-2015, 02:00 PM
(01-12-2015 01:33 PM)xastrogasmx Wrote:  
(28-11-2015 07:59 AM)bemore Wrote:  When your head office/HR receive a complaint, they are going to enquire down the chain of command, all the way down to your managers, to ask WTF is going on.

You have now raised the issue on numerous occasions with your managers and they have not outlined a proposed solution to you and you are also seeing no improvement/change.

So you need to go higher now. Either by getting in touch with your area manager or going above him to HR. If you have an official complaints system then use it. Id also look at your employees handbook or contract you have and look up what consitutes gross misconduct and/or a sackable offense.

Yeah in our employee handbook it says that we have to go through our managers first before we go to HR. So now because I've done that, I'm hoping this situation will get rectified. If I don't see any changes in the next month, I'm going to have to do something.

I'm pretty sure you're entitled to ask them what course of action they are pursuing? Don't wait and wait. Go higher if stuff isn't fixed in a week or in days. This is an issue that they have an obligation to address. If they don't, they're failing at their jobs too.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
01-12-2015, 03:24 PM
Unfortunately, middle management is often very reluctant to get involved with these sorts of dysfunctional staff—such as this Sally person. They don't want to be seen by their bosses as incompetent in handling staff issues, nor do they want to potentially lose face in front of the shop floor workers by making a wrong decision. So they just ignore it, and hope it all blows over given time. However, this scenario has been going on for too long now, so that ain't gonna happen.

I guess you've really only got two practical choices; you either escalate your concerns (and those of your coworkers) up the chain of command, or you start looking for another job elsewhere. It sounds like a fairly toxic environment—even if it's only because of one single employee, but your workplace morale has to be suffering as a consequence even if it's not immediately apparent.

An easy question to ask yourself each morning; am I looking forward/comfortable/confident going to work, or would I rather be heading to the beach?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post