US - Cuban releations

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2015, 11:19 PM
RE: US - Cuban releations
(11-04-2015 06:49 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Sanctions against Cuba are a relic of Cold War I. It's time to move on and focus on Cold War II.

Which is between whom?

The lifting of the embargo is good. I understand why they were there to begin with, the whole "we can nuke your country lolz" thing. But the Cold War ended 25ish years ago. The time to lift the embargo was when the USSR removed the nukes from Cuba.

Cuba was going to be a very popular and very wealthy country had it continued to grow into an American rich-person holiday resort. Cuba could have gotten very rich indeed off that tourist dollar had they not fucked it up and had a revolution and shit.

With the removal of the embargo and the opening of the border and warming of relations I think Cuba will be able to slowly head in that direction again. Get foreign investment, build hotels and resorts and shit, get the tourists coming to see the Cuban culture, beaches, food etc.. It's in the perfect location to get that US tourist.

And than once the jobs start being created and the money starts flowing in they'll be very quick to ditch "communism", much like China.

It benefits everybody by lifting the embargo and trying to repair relations with Cuba. Plus it's a fun country to say over and over, Cuba, Cuba, Cuba, Cuba, Cuba. I could do this all day (and probably will now).

[Image: oscar.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
12-04-2015, 12:25 AM
Yes, lift the embargo so that they too can have food and iPads.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
12-04-2015, 04:44 AM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2015 04:48 AM by yakherder.)
(11-04-2015 11:19 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Which is between whom?

Pretty much everyone except Cuba. Mostly US, Japan, and the commonwealth and allies against Russia and it's sanction club and China.

'Murican Canadian
12-04-2015, 05:29 AM
The absurd embargo did, however, have one very beneficial effect.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
12-04-2015, 05:30 AM
(11-04-2015 06:46 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  50 years of "isn't working" is your first clue that we need to try something else.....

Yeah, like the War on Drugs? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-04-2015, 05:32 AM
(12-04-2015 05:30 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(11-04-2015 06:46 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  50 years of "isn't working" is your first clue that we need to try something else.....

Yeah, like the War on Drugs? Consider

You catch on fast...

Thumbsup

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
12-04-2015, 08:21 AM
(11-04-2015 11:19 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(11-04-2015 06:49 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Sanctions against Cuba are a relic of Cold War I. It's time to move on and focus on Cold War II.

Which is between whom?

The lifting of the embargo is good. I understand why they were there to begin with, the whole "we can nuke your country lolz" thing. But the Cold War ended 25ish years ago. The time to lift the embargo was when the USSR removed the nukes from Cuba.

Cuba was going to be a very popular and very wealthy country had it continued to grow into an American rich-person holiday resort. Cuba could have gotten very rich indeed off that tourist dollar had they not fucked it up and had a revolution and shit.

With the removal of the embargo and the opening of the border and warming of relations I think Cuba will be able to slowly head in that direction again. Get foreign investment, build hotels and resorts and shit, get the tourists coming to see the Cuban culture, beaches, food etc.. It's in the perfect location to get that US tourist.

And than once the jobs start being created and the money starts flowing in they'll be very quick to ditch "communism", much like China.

It benefits everybody by lifting the embargo and trying to repair relations with Cuba. Plus it's a fun country to say over and over, Cuba, Cuba, Cuba, Cuba, Cuba. I could do this all day (and probably will now).

Cuba never really had nukes, though. The Russians were trying to put them in back in like 1963, which lead to the Cuban Missile Crises, but, other than that brief period when they had a handful that were never made operational, Cuba was never pointing nukes at the US.

The original embargo existed because the US was friendly with the thug who ran Cuba prior to Castro, and because Castro had a pro-USSR communist government less than 90 miles from the US. At one point, maybe that made sense but that time passes years and years ago.

Btw, for the people who argue we shouldn't have relations with a dictator like Castro, they need to do some research on the government that existed before Castro took over. When I said above he was a thug, I wasn't kidding. He was a typical of that region, too, but those dictators weren't commies aligned with the USSR.

This embargo with Cuba has not made any sense in at least 25 years.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
12-04-2015, 09:13 AM
Having grown up with all of this and watching first hand the effects the embargo has had it pleases me greatly that a US President has the cojones to tell the old refugee Cuban guard to fuck off.

What happened was that all these families who had land, money and power back in Cuba wanted to protect their claim in the hopes of getting it back someday. Well, someday is long gone and because of their nearsightedness and greed they prolonged misery for the millions of Cubans back on the island.

My family had land and wealth on the island. I grew up listening to how when we returned it would be reclaimed. My generation was caught between the old guard and the new realities. Just like religious indoctrination, political indoctrination is hard to throw off. You see that with politicians of Cuban descent http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Am...an_descent who have for years thwarted any normalization with the island nation.

I am finally seeing a change of heart even from the old guard, those still alive, who have finally realized that their old life is gone (55 years later) and that perhaps the world should move on. It’s one thing to have fond memories of their youth and quite another to have sentenced to misery, with the help of American politicians vying for the Cuban vote and the many electoral votes of the State of Florida, generations of Cubans. A sordid and despicable alliance that should have ended shortly after the Bay of Pigs fiasco in 1961.

Don’t take this as any sort of approval for the Castro regime. The power-hungry fucktard created a living hell for generations of Cubans. The reactions to his regime, however, have been poorly thought out in the intervening half century.

My two cents worth.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post