US Evangelicals allow gay marriage

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-06-2014, 01:06 AM
US Evangelicals allow gay marriage
As I laid out in my book, Manifest Insanity, religions and their beliefs evolve over time; and evolution is something American evangelicals are decidedly against. Here then, is an example of evolution at a remarkably fast pace.

The Presbyterian Church of America, the group who with the publishing of their 5 fundamentalist doctrines in 1910--hence the coining of the label "fundamentalist" to describe them--have in just over 100 years, evolved to the point of tolerance on gay weddings.

Praise the FSM, and pass the wine.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-27934626

Manifest Insanity @ Amazon
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Diogenes of Mayberry's post
20-06-2014, 01:38 AM
RE: US Evangelicals allow gay marriage
Correction:

It was pointed out to me that -

PCA isn't the PC(USA). PCA is a conservative splinter group of Presbyterians. They have *not* given permission to their pastors to perform gay weddings. PC(USA) has.

Carry on.

Manifest Insanity @ Amazon
[+] 2 users Like Diogenes of Mayberry's post
20-06-2014, 01:54 AM
Quote:The new text reads: "Marriage involves a unique commitment between two people, traditionally between a man and a woman."
There is a chasm between tolerance and inclusion.
Wonder how long will it take for them to add, "but love is not limited by tradition." ... ?

Oh well... baby steps, I suppose... baby steps. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
20-06-2014, 01:55 AM
Proof that the zeitgeist always has and always will be what shapes our mores, not religion, not politics, nor pot (although there are some arguments that pot is probably the real engine of the zeitgeist if we would only bother to look under the hood).

Whether by pot or by zest, youth drives the zeitgeist, because old farts fossilize and lose their grip on it. Then they lose their marbles. Then they die. And the last gay bigot to die is already born.

Here's to youth - unchurched and smokin'! Lookout bigots.
[+] 7 users Like Airportkid's post
20-06-2014, 06:30 AM
(20-06-2014 01:54 AM)kim Wrote:  Oh well... baby steps, I suppose... baby steps. Shy

These things almost always move slowly. Especially for a group that is already behind the curve on adoption of the idea. From my understanding, Americans who favor gay marriage are now the majority (although not a super majority). Religion will evolve to adopt this principle or it will die out. Sure, there will always be some fundies that hold out, and they will continue to be regarded more and more as a lunatic fringe.

If mainstream religion doesn't evolve with the times, more and more people (particularly younger people) will drop out and join the "nones".

(20-06-2014 01:55 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  Proof that the zeitgeist always has and always will be what shapes our mores, not religion, not politics...

Yeah, religion obviously shapes culture, but culture also obviously shapes religion. Referring to the mechanism that drives both as "the zeitgeist" seems pretty spot on.
20-06-2014, 02:39 PM
I think it should also be noted that as a society becomes more progressive on an issue, the "old guard" if you will lash out all the more violently. Many of the worst hate crimes were committed during the fever pitch of abolitionism and the civil rights movement, for example. I think has gay rights continue to progress you will see both more inclusion and enlightenment, and more vocal and aggressive bigotry, all at the same time. It seems clear at this juncture that gays will have the legal right to marry and will gain more cultural and political acceptance over time.

That being said, and on a darker note, progress is neither inevitable nor the default. In nearly an instant the United States could completely regress. Cultural acceptance and inclusion will only exist so long as people keep believing in it and keep voicing that opinion.
20-06-2014, 10:19 PM
I'm beginning to think even the fundies will eventually accept evolution as fact.

Gradually, as with all things bullshitty, they've accepted more and more of evolutionary theory... Its a standard pseudoscience defense tactic.

They've already accepted the idea of natural selection, and that animals can indeed change over time with what they call "micro-evolution". All that's left is to convince them that the Earth isn't 6,000 years old and there isn't really anywhere for them to hide.

I can't see creationism surviving for much longer.

The internet will kill it.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]