US Military Officer

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-06-2013, 07:38 PM
US Military Officer
Hello everyone out there,

I'm a little new to this whole forum thing, and I've never been one for posting my feelings, opinions, or thoughts on the internet in general. I am an officer in the United States Army and recently returned from a tour in Afghanistan. I'm 24 years old and have been a confirmed atheist for only about 3 months, but have been reading and agreeing with atheist literature and outspoken atheists (Hitchens, Dawkins, NDT, Sagan, etc.) for several years. It took a long time for me to finally drop the leash that my family had indoctrinated onto me over 20 years (strict conservative presbyterian). I guess the point where i totally lost the faith was when one of my soldiers was killed by a roadside bomb on our very last mission. He was a born leader and one of the greatest assets to our military. It was at this point that i started getting belligerent to my friends and family who said things like "we thank God you got home safe" or "we're keeping you in our prayers" or "God answered our prayers because you didn't get hurt". My immediate mental process was to yell "Why were your prayers for me anymore important than the prayers people were saying for my soldier? What made me so special that I got to live?" There is no way a loving God could have let this happen to such a wonderful individual. My wife of two years was raised a Lutheran, but considers herself more of a Deist/Evolutionary Theist (believes a creator started evolution). I consider myself on the fence between completely noninterventionist deism and atheism (but I'm most definitely anti-theist). Sometimes my wife and I will get into arguments over my cynicism toward religion, mainly because she still enjoys the traditions and rituals of her Lutheran upbringing. I love her more than anything, and realize that sometimes it's on me to live and let live instead of constantly being angry at my own indoctrination and taking it out on her. I hope someday to speak with Seth on his show, as he has been one of my inspirations and supports as I've gone through my deconversion. It is always good to know I'm not alone.

-Jay

Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
-TJ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like TheAgeOfReason's post
24-06-2013, 07:44 PM
RE: US Military Officer
(24-06-2013 07:38 PM)TheAgeOfReason Wrote:  Hello everyone out there,

I'm a little new to this whole forum thing, and I've never been one for posting my feelings, opinions, or thoughts on the internet in general. I am an officer in the United States Army and recently returned from a tour in Afghanistan. I'm 24 years old and have been a confirmed atheist for only about 3 months, but have been reading and agreeing with atheist literature and outspoken atheists (Hitchens, Dawkins, NDT, Sagan, etc.) for several years. It took a long time for me to finally drop the leash that my family had indoctrinated onto me over 20 years (strict conservative presbyterian). I guess the point where i totally lost the faith was when one of my soldiers was killed by a roadside bomb on our very last mission. He was a born leader and one of the greatest assets to our military. It was at this point that i started getting belligerent to my friends and family who said things like "we thank God you got home safe" or "we're keeping you in our prayers" or "God answered our prayers because you didn't get hurt". My immediate mental process was to yell "Why were your prayers for me anymore important than the prayers people were saying for my soldier? What made me so special that I got to live?" There is no way a loving God could have let this happen to such a wonderful individual. My wife of two years was raised a Lutheran, but considers herself more of a Deist/Evolutionary Theist (believes a creator started evolution). I consider myself on the fence between completely noninterventionist deism and atheism (but I'm most definitely anti-theist). Sometimes my wife and I will get into arguments over my cynicism toward religion, mainly because she still enjoys the traditions and rituals of her Lutheran upbringing. I love her more than anything, and realize that sometimes it's on me to live and let live instead of constantly being angry at my own indoctrination and taking it out on her. I hope someday to speak with Seth on his show, as he has been one of my inspirations and supports as I've gone through my deconversion. It is always good to know I'm not alone.

-Jay

Welcome to the forum.

Your anger is understandable and honest. Time will likely temper it, make it a sharper, more effective tool.
As yet, it's likely more of a Claymore.Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
24-06-2013, 07:54 PM
That's what I'd be looking for from my Platoon Leader. Thumbsup

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
24-06-2013, 07:58 PM
Greetings, Sir.
and Welcome to TTA, Jay Smile

24-06-2013, 08:20 PM
Welcome to the forums. Have to admit I'm always surprised to see military on here. Smile A good surprise.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
24-06-2013, 09:24 PM
Maybe there's a glimmer of hope for you Army JO's after all. Wink Welcome.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
24-06-2013, 09:52 PM
Hi Jay.

Welcome!
Just wanted to let you know there are quite a few of us HAPPILY married to believers. And your post hits the nail on the head. It really is the key. Live and let live-don't take your anger out on those you love.

(24-06-2013 07:38 PM)TheAgeOfReason Wrote:  I love her more than anything, and realize that sometimes it's on me to live and let live instead of constantly being angry at my own indoctrination and taking it out on her.

-Jay

Have you listened to the latest podcast- its about living with a believer. great episode.

I look forward to reading more of your posts.

Be excellent to each other and party on, Dudes!
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
25-06-2013, 11:35 AM
Welcome in the community ! An US military officer who is Atheist. I can't imagine how this situation must be boring with all these preachers.

What is your speciality (Demo ,Sniper , Rifleman , etc...) ?
25-06-2013, 11:38 AM
Welcome aboard!

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
25-06-2013, 12:18 PM
(24-06-2013 07:38 PM)TheAgeOfReason Wrote:  Hello everyone out there,

-Jay

Welcome, and good to see you here.

My husband was career military, and he deconverted while in the service. Both his sons also deconverted while in the military. So I assume it's not that rare, it's just not talked about.

I totally get your anger at all the religious remarks about your survival - what brought me here is all the religious dribble I had to listen to when my husband died.

It will get better. You'll find the folks here very understanding, many have been through similar things. They also have a crazy sense of humor, I hope you'll enjoy it. It grows on you.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man