US, Ohio, Dayton -> Heavy Metal Church converts atheists to Christianity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2013, 05:43 PM
US, Ohio, Dayton -> Heavy Metal Church converts atheists to Christianity
I am in Florida but this was posted on Facebook by one of my relatives in New York...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...e=1&ref=nf

What are everyone's thoughts on atheists that convert to religion.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2013, 05:47 PM
RE: US, Ohio, Dayton -> Heavy Metal Church converts atheists to Christianity
(11-08-2013 05:43 PM)rsecor Wrote:  I am in Florida but this was posted on Facebook by one of my relatives in New York...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...e=1&ref=nf

What are everyone's thoughts on atheists that convert to religion.

I see no evidence of any conversions.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-08-2013, 05:51 PM
@Chas: I was thinking the same thing.

I have been unable to find a full copy of the article. The paper is supposedly the "Dayton Daily News," but their website will not allow access to the article unless you have an account on their website. While I have not tried to setup an account there I am under the impression that you must pay through the website or be a subscriber to their print edition to view the article.
11-08-2013, 05:55 PM
(11-08-2013 05:51 PM)rsecor Wrote:  @Chas: I was thinking the same thing.

I have been unable to find a full copy of the article. The paper is supposedly the "Dayton Daily News," but their website will not allow access to the article unless you have an account on their website. While I have not tried to setup an account there I am under the impression that you must pay through the website or be a subscriber to their print edition to view the article.

Here's the church's web site: Heavy Metal Church

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
11-08-2013, 05:57 PM
@Chas: Yeah, the Facebook group for that church claims they were going to put up a better copy of the article.

The one I saw there ,( http://heavymetalchurch.tumblr.com/image/57904677982 ), still looked incomplete.
12-08-2013, 09:12 AM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2013 12:14 PM by ghostexorcist.)
I have a sneaking suspicion they are claiming that they convert atheists just to divert people's attention from the fact that they play heavy metal, a genre traditionally associated with Satan by conservative folks. It's something like this:

Traditional view: heavy metal - church = Satan
Newspaper view: heavy metal + church + converted atheist = acceptable

I would personally have to speak with one of these converted atheists before I believe the story. Right now I'm treating this as an example of "lying for Jesus." Maybe the person wasn't particularly religious, and they are calling this "atheism."
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
12-08-2013, 02:08 PM
(12-08-2013 09:12 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I have a sneaking suspicion they are claiming that they convert atheists just to divert people's attention from the fact that they play heavy metal, a genre traditionally associated with Satan by conservative folks. It's something like this:

Traditional view: heavy metal - church = Satan
Newspaper view: heavy metal + church + converted atheist = acceptable

I would personally have to speak with one of these converted atheists before I believe the story. Right now I'm treating this as an example of "lying for Jesus." Maybe the person wasn't particularly religious, and they are calling this "atheism."

Later that day in that church...

The holy cross
Symbol of lies
Intimitade the lives of Christian born
Speak of death
The words of hate
Anticipation grows amongst the dead
Hell has seen
The priests attempt
To bring forth their lord of the cross
Strike of twelve
Raise the dead
The chapel comes under attack

The ghosts of sin
Torment the priests
Their altar will soon be destroyed
Heaven's palace
Turning black
The church now belongs to the dead
Blackened magic
Infest with lust
Lucifer rules supreme
The crystal ball shows unknown fate
The last thing that's heard is the screams

Ghosts from hell invade this feeble shrine
Heaven's holy house will fall in time
Satan's morbid soldiers chant in lust
Destruction of the church we'll burn the cross

Attacking angels as they pray to god
Tormented preachers hail the twisted cross
Haunting the chapel
Hell's demons prevail
Death has come
The house of god has failed

[Image: 9f6.gif]
14-08-2013, 07:19 PM
Music RE: US, Ohio, Dayton -> Heavy Metal Church converts atheists to Christianity
Hey guys! I am Katie (the one from the article) I'm not here to give anyone a hard time or say you are wrong lol just here to answer any questions you have.
Sorry that you guys can't see the full article, I have a paper copy I can try and scan to upload here for you if you want. Anyhow, to start with heavymetalchurch.com is the website for FHMCC (the first heavy metal church of Christ) Yes we like some metal music, but we also have blues, bluegrass, singer/song writers, and many other types of music that we play at church. Awesome live bands from all over come! HEAVY METAL in this case stands for Ephesians 6:10-20 talking about putting on the full ARMOR of God (armor=heavy metal, nothing to do with the music)

Anyways unlike "typical churches" I've heard of (I have only been to one other church when I was a child, so I don't have much to compare it to personally) FHMCC is a come as you are bible based, biker church.

Pretty much we believe in what most Christians believe, but we aren't here to judge anyone. Not our job....I mean come on, Christian is supposed to mean Christ like....how Christ like is it to ask someone to leave church if they have long hair or tattoos, if they are a stripper, or a heroin addict? I AM NOT saying that the church supports or condones any behavior that goes against the bible, just that FHMCC would never turn anyone away. I see churches on TV talking about how they are, pretty much "better" than others. I want to scream, ummmm you’re doing it wrong!!! lol

I was an atheist! Proud, stubborn, and selfish.....I WAS VERY HAPPY! I'm not saying all atheists are proud, stubborn, or selfish btw!!! That was just my personality traits! Just last year I saw slayer, megadeth, and testament....The whole conversion started one night while drinking my Jack Daniels and I had heard a lot about this church and even went there to laugh at them thinking the same things! 1. Heavy metal music hahahaha 2. This church is held in a bar!!! 3. The pastor is the lead singer in a rock band and is sleeved out! My point is I didn't intend to change...I wasn't looking for religion or God....God found me plain and simple! And when it happens to ya, you can't really fight it...I started by reading the bible to find ammo to prove my religious friends wrong....it just started making sense.

All I can say is that I soooo know 99.9% of you will think I’m just some crazy chick who wasn't an atheist and God still doesn't exist.....but until you walk in my shoes or really get to know me you just don't know do ya? I would never judge anyone, especially from a computer lol.

Eventually I started thinking "what if I'm wrong, what if there is a GOD??".....and each person has a different experience. Unfortunately the same thing that happens to me happens to most of you....people stereotype! They see that you are an atheist and think you are a bad person, in reality we both know that's crap! Same thing for me! You may look at me and say, this is all a bunch of crap! lol that's fine, I promise I won’t hate you for it because I am still in shock myself sometimes when I look at how much my life has changed in one year!!!

I have traveled all over the world in the military and I’m working on my business degree currently, so no I'm not ignorant or brainwashed! I will try and figure out a way to get the article up, but it can't say anything more than I am right now...just wanted to throw my two cents out here and say HI, I do exist!!

If you want to email me directly feel free gypsy@heavymetalchurch.com

14-08-2013, 07:24 PM
Hey guys! I am Katie (the one from the article) I'm not here to give anyone a hard time or say you are wrong lol just here to answer any questions you have.
Sorry that you guys can't see the full article, I have a paper copy I can try and scan to upload here for you if you want. Anyhow, to start with heavymetalchurch.com is the website for FHMCC (the first heavy metal church of Christ) Yes we like some metal music, but we also have blues, bluegrass, singer/song writers, and many other types of music that we play at church. Awesome live bands from all over come! HEAVY METAL in this case stands for Ephesians 6:10-20 talking about putting on the full ARMOR of God (armor=heavy metal, nothing to do with the music)

Anyways unlike "typical churches" I've heard of (I have only been to one other church when I was a child, so I don't have much to compare it to personally) FHMCC is a come as you are bible based, biker church.

Pretty much we believe in what most Christians believe, but we aren't here to judge anyone. Not our job....I mean come on, Christian is supposed to mean Christ like....how Christ like is it to ask someone to leave church if they have long hair or tattoos, if they are a stripper, or a heroin addict? I AM NOT saying that the church supports or condones any behavior that goes against the bible, just that FHMCC would never turn anyone away. I see churches on TV talking about how they are, pretty much "better" than others. I want to scream, ummmm you’re doing it wrong!!! lol

I was an atheist! Proud, stubborn, and selfish.....I WAS VERY HAPPY! I'm not saying all atheists are proud, stubborn, or selfish btw!!! That was just my personality traits! Just last year I saw slayer, megadeth, and testament....The whole conversion started one night while drinking my Jack Daniels and I had heard a lot about this church and even went there to laugh at them thinking the same things! 1. Heavy metal music hahahaha 2. This church is held in a bar!!! 3. The pastor is the lead singer in a rock band and is sleeved out! My point is I didn't intend to change...I wasn't looking for religion or God....God found me plain and simple! And when it happens to ya, you can't really fight it...I started by reading the bible to find ammo to prove my religious friends wrong....it just started making sense.

All I can say is that I soooo know 99.9% of you will think I’m just some crazy chick who wasn't an atheist and God still doesn't exist.....but until you walk in my shoes or really get to know me you just don't know do ya? I would never judge anyone, especially from a computer lol.

Eventually I started thinking "what if I'm wrong, what if there is a GOD??".....and each person has a different experience. Unfortunately the same thing that happens to me happens to most of you....people stereotype! They see that you are an atheist and think you are a bad person, in reality we both know that's crap! Same thing for me! You may look at me and say, this is all a bunch of crap! lol that's fine, I promise I won’t hate you for it because I am still in shock myself sometimes when I look at how much my life has changed in one year!!!

I have traveled all over the world in the military and I’m working on my business degree currently, so no I'm not ignorant or brainwashed! I will try and figure out a way to get the article up, but it can't say anything more than I am right now...just wanted to throw my two cents out here and say HI, I do exist!!

If you want to email me directly feel free gypsy@heavymetalchurch.com
http://vimeo.com/44285935