US Politics Cause Massive Gun and Ammo Shortage.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-03-2013, 02:14 AM
Sad US Politics Cause Massive Gun and Ammo Shortage.
If you are a hunter, or a shooter of any kind then you know it nearly impossible to buy ammo (excluding shotgun ammo and a few rifle cartridges) since the beginning of the year and it's gotten even worse as the months have wore on. I personally enjoy plinking with my .22, but also enjoy firing my 8mm Mauser on occasion so it doesn't go to pot, and keeping my handgun skills up to snuff by shooting my .40 cal at least a half dozen times a year. Others rely on their guns to put food on the table either directly or indirectly so this issue can be very serious for some folks. In any case a combination of events have caused this. Politicsc have freaked people the fuck out. The most obvious political target (no pun intended) is Obama and Biden for their executive orders, press conferences, and 'threats'. This is a touchy issue because their is a lot of division. I personally think these orders are bullshit caused by backdoor politics and undue fear mongering, but each person has their own opinion, so whatever, it's still a cause. Another issue is the new law which has prevented the commercial sale of body armor. Why? Cause big brother is limiting freedom and also preventing people from protecting themselves in the event of a 1984 scenario. Also, several ammunition factories in Colorado are effectively being forced to leave the state because of new state laws.

The effect of all of this is people are stockpiling, big time. If you don't already own an AR-15 or similar rifle, it is estimated that it will take two years if you get on a wait list now, assuming it is still legal. I have been looking at every store that sales ammo for over a month to get some .22's with no luck. You can usually get .22's (suitable for killing squirrels, rabbits, birds, snakes, but nothing larger than a coyote) for about 3 cents per round if buying in bulk up to about 20 cents for the cheap stuff. Now the only ammo you can find are being sold at massively gouged prices from individuals. I've seen people asking 60 cents a round for the cheap ammo, and over 2 bucks a round for the match grade competition stuff. By comparison larger rounds designed for warfare and medium to large game usually cost about a dollar a round. Maybe, just maybe, all this gun politics was not a good idea. It is having the exact opposite effect that was claimed that 'they' wanted. Maybe all of this this meddling was good for no one, except the gun a ammunition makers. Concealed Carry Permits have EXPLODED, and the state governments are having trouble processing all of the applications and teaching saftey courses fast anough to keep up with the demand. Combine this with the ammo shortages and some states, such as Texas have lowered the amount of rounds required for safety courses and shortened the safety training required in a desperate attempt to function.

My opinion? Government interference is rarely beneficial, (often harmful) used far more often than required. This is a perfect example of it.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-03-2013, 06:57 PM (This post was last modified: 24-03-2013 07:02 PM by TheBlackKnight.)
RE: US Politics Cause Massive Gun and Ammo Shortage.
Gee, I was waiting for some truther to try and tell us is actually the NRA scaring people so the gun companies stay profitable or something equally infowars Confused

I was lucky enough to receive a reloading press from my dad before the storm happened.I got it set up and got enough primers to last maybe 1.5 years if need be for pistol, but my AR is my only rifle and I dont have stuff to reload for it.

I really hope this crap dies down so we can go back to training and shooting. and yes, Magpul is leaving Colorado. Sad day.
24-03-2013, 07:25 PM
My Opinion? People are scared about the future and they fantasize that Guns and Ammo are the answer. I've talked to some of these ammo hoarders and they come in all types. Some do it as an investment and because they want to be sure they'll have plenty of ammo to shoot in the future. No problem here.

However, on the other end of the spectrum, there are those that have crazy fantasies about the collapse of society and most everyone going batshit crazy. It's just nuts...and it's sad.
24-03-2013, 07:40 PM
Freedom, freedom, freedom. Why don't these types of people ever rail about getting money out of politics? Dodgy

With weapons manufactures and their lobbyists seeing record sales and profits, they have an invested interests to keep their core market ignorant, scared, and consuming. Buy buy buy, ignore the consequences.

Work towards getting money out of politics, and these behemoths won't have a platform to manufacture/feed on peoples ignorance and fears.
[+] 1 user Likes PoolBoyG's post
24-03-2013, 08:04 PM
Quote: Another issue is the new law which has prevented the commercial sale of body armor. Why? Cause big brother is limiting freedom and also preventing people from protecting themselves in the event of a 1984 scenario
Lets be totaly real for a minute. If the federal government wants to bring you in they can. A hand gun, an AR hell even a rocket launcher will not stop them. If the far right gun nut fantesy of the guv'mint commin to take their guns were to go down my money is on the most over funded military in the whole of human history. Lets face it 1 predator drone could remove your entire house, everyone in it and by the time you had to to say "Hey you guys hear something?" its too late. The fallacy of the 2nd ammendmant securing the others is a lie.
Now, if you want to own a weapon, fine by me fill out the forms go through a background check and a waiting period and its all yours. Personaly I dont belive any civillian needs an AR but I have heard the arguments from the other side and it is one of those points I'll concede has some wiggle room. Now were it up to me the magazine capacity would be 2 rounds. Military and Police exemptions. For hunting and home defense 2 shots is all you need. Make possetion of larger clips a heavy offense (major fines and jail time after a grace turn in period) and even a black market would be discouraged.
Now on the flip side before we can even begin to deal with the gun problem there are other issues that should take precidence. The failed drug war needs to be ended and that alone would solve a large majority of the gun violence in the country. Ultimatly unto we can get the root cause for the problem under control and bleed the main money maker from criminals we will never be able to deal with our countries other problems.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
24-03-2013, 08:16 PM
I'm no gun nut, I have a .22 rifle that I've never actually fired. (I did grow up around guns, and have fired my fair share of rounds) I'm all about some rational discourse on gun control, so let's put this stupid assault rifle bullshit to rest from the get go. A gun is a gun is a lethal weapon if so used, period.

24-03-2013, 08:21 PM (This post was last modified: 24-03-2013 08:28 PM by Julius.)
(23-03-2013 02:14 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  Another issue is the new law which has prevented the commercial sale of body armor. Why? Cause big brother is limiting freedom and also preventing people from protecting themselves in the event of a 1984 scenario.
I don't like Gun Control either and I've written a lot of letters to my congressmen to that effect. Nevertheless, I do not fear a 1984 scenario just because the Government limits our firepower, because if people want to be free of a bad government, they will find a way to get guns and ammo. The Vietnamese have taught us that no Army or Government - no matter how powerful - can stop a people that will give everything for freedom.

[Image: asianm16.jpg] Proof that Gun Control Won't Stop Freedom
-OR-
I Don't Need No Stinkin' Second Amendment
24-03-2013, 08:22 PM
Evenheathen, your right. Even if ,as I stated above, I dont think people should own AR's, the fact that the conversation is bogged down on useless details like whats an assualt riffle ect is counter-productive. So lets start with the soft ball issue 90% approval even among gun owners. Close all background check loopholes. I dont care if you want to sell a gun to your hunting buddy Mack who you've known for 30 years both of you go down to the gun store fill out a nice easy form pay a small fee (Personaly I'm thinking $25) and your good to go as long as Mack comes back clean.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
24-03-2013, 08:29 PM
(24-03-2013 08:04 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Now, if you want to own a weapon, fine by me fill out the forms go through a background check and a waiting period and its all yours. Personaly I dont belive any civillian needs an AR but I have heard the arguments from the other side and it is one of those points I'll concede has some wiggle room. Now were it up to me the magazine capacity would be 2 rounds. Military and Police exemptions. For hunting and home defense 2 shots is all you need. Make possetion of larger clips a heavy offense (major fines and jail time after a grace turn in period) and even a black market would be discouraged.

Never touched a gun before, eh? If you had you'd know that's flat out ridiculous.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post
24-03-2013, 08:34 PM
(24-03-2013 08:29 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  
(24-03-2013 08:04 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  

Never touched a gun before, eh? If you had you'd know that's flat out ridiculous.
Didn't claim it was gonna happen just tossed out a perfect world what my druthers were.