US Prison population and reform

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-07-2015, 03:05 PM
US Prison population and reform
I just read that Obama made a visit to a prison and is the first president to do so. Being that prisoners can't vote there has been no real reason for any politician to visit a prison. The US prison population is the largest among any developed country, 2.3 million, and it's mostly black men. We have more prisoners in our jails than China, who has around 1.6 million, and for christ sake China has a population of 1 billion and it's a Communist country.

The term "correctional institute" is totally misnamed. and it's a very sad commentary on the US.

Some people say it's another form of black slavery. What do you think could/should be done to reduce that US number?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
16-07-2015, 03:11 PM
RE: US Prison population and reform
Decriminalize marijuana.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
16-07-2015, 03:12 PM
Considering the largest portion of the prison population is in for various drug offenses --- I'd say working on rehabilitating the addicted rather than locking them up would probably be more cost effective -- and more sensible overall.....

Less customers mean less demand -- less demand means less profit -- less profit means less people would be willing to get involved in manufacture and distribution.....

And ultimately - less people in prison.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
16-07-2015, 03:28 PM
Nothing will change IMO until the for-profit prison model is somehow made illegal. More leeway in terms of sentencing practices and some kind of penalty for judges who give harsher sentences for the same offenses to poor people/rich people or white people/people of color might also be ways to effect change.

Also legalizing or decriminalizing drugs and prostitution would help.
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
16-07-2015, 03:32 PM
There is various ways obviously the amount of people in prison for minor drug charges is ridiculous.

Even the judicial system itself would benefit from adjusting the scenarios. Forcing guys with sometimes low education to not even grasp what the consequences are happens far too often. For prophet prisons are dangerous as it helps encourage keep these types of policies in place.

It's rather interesting no sitting president has visited a prison though, I wouldn't of guessed that. Of course when some of them were governors before President they were doing it.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
16-07-2015, 04:07 PM
(16-07-2015 03:32 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  There is various ways obviously the amount of people in prison for minor drug charges is ridiculous.

Even the judicial system itself would benefit from adjusting the scenarios. Forcing guys with sometimes low education to not even grasp what the consequences are happens far too often. For prophet prisons are dangerous as it helps encourage keep these types of policies in place.

It's rather interesting no sitting president has visited a prison though, I wouldn't of guessed that. Of course when some of them were governors before President they were doing it.

Quote: For prophet prisons are dangerous as it helps encourage keep these types of policies in place.

Some call these types of prisons another form of slavery. I'm not sure if any other country uses prison labor the way the USA does. I guess I should google it.

The US state of Oregon just legalized marijuana so we'll see what happens with our prison population. But I do know one thing, there is little to no reform going on in prisons.

It's also where we put most of our mentally ill people. They act strange out on the street, cops accuse them of something.... anything, and they end up in jail somewhere. The whole thing is pathetic.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
16-07-2015, 05:17 PM
Other countries do indeed use prison labor, and indeed as a far larger component of their national economies than the US. Not trying to justify ours -- and in some cases, I think such labor is useful for society and just as a punishment -- but the privatization of prisons in America is not about building a productive segment of the economy, but rather about using the conviction against the convict in order to keep him running on the treadmill of payments, late fees, etc, with the threat of imprisonment facing anyone daring to question his lot.

In other words, it's a form of extortion, taking advantage of someone whose rights are diminished due to a conviction.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
16-07-2015, 05:49 PM
Quote:Nothing will change IMO until the for-profit prison model is somehow made illegal.

This.
Private for-profit prisons are a beyond stupid idea. You need them to cost tax payer money because it encourages to the government to focus on rehabilitation over incarceration because it's cheaper.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
16-07-2015, 05:54 PM
Seems to me that it wasn't all that long ago when there was outrage with some things regarding prisoners. They had access to education, medical care, recreation, etc. that some non-criminals didn't have access to. I understand that argument. Why give to a criminal what we won't give to someone who isn't a criminal?

Things changed from all the efforts toward rehabilitation to warehousing. The prisons have also filled up because most states have done away with or greatly curtailed the ability to get mental health care.

When the drug war really hit it's stride people were imprisoned for things that could have been dealt with through other methods but then again, the services were over-burdened. Probation and parole officers often have workloads that make it impossible to really be effective. Three strikes meant someone could be imprisoned for an offense that would barely have warranted a fine had it been a first offense.

Our criminal justice system needs to be looked at, there's no doubt about that...from the bottom to the top.

My brother is a prison guard. Has been over twenty years. He spends most of his time doing administrative stuff. The facility where he works is basically where everyone sent to prison in the state of Iowa is processed. After processing many are sent to the institution where they will serve out their time. Those with really short sentences often serve them right there.

Due to the proximity to a VA and a university hospital, any with physical or mental health issues stay there. This means that every time an inmate has to see a doctor a guard goes with them and stays with them. This decreases the number of guards at the facility. Add in training days, vacation and sick days, and there are seldom enough guards to do anything beyond the basics.

Until sentencing guidelines are revamped this is going to remain a problem.

I don't see a big problem with some prisoners being used for labor. They can work in the kitchen, the laundry, plant and maintain gardens that can provide food for the facility. I mean, hell, I work to earn my meals.

For profit prisons are a bad idea. They are going to want longer sentences and more inmates. That's where their money comes from.

It may not be popular but I have to say that, for the most part, if you don't break the law you probably won't find yourself on the wrong side of the bars. I know there are innocent people in prison and I know there are wrongful convictions but I also know that there are people in prison who belong there.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
17-07-2015, 12:01 AM
Personally, I am a big fan of the Japanese prison system. It is basically designed to CRUSH ones spirit and instill discipline and respect. Things many criminals desperately lack.