US State Department restarts Hillary Clinton email probe

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-07-2016, 03:53 PM
RE: US State Department restarts Hillary Clinton email probe
(08-07-2016 01:39 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(08-07-2016 01:06 PM)BnW Wrote:  In all fairness, there is a discrepancy between what Comey says she told his agent's and her sworn testimony to Congress. It's not unreasonable for them to ask the FBI to investigate why that is.

Call it what it is, desperation.

The Republicans have zero credibility, I agree. But, that doesn't automatically mean they are wrong. She testified to one thing while under oath and seemingly told the FBI something different when questioned. There is a legitimate question here and Congress has every right to ask for an investigation.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
08-07-2016, 04:30 PM
Have I already ranted about this? Ah fuck it.

3 emails mismarked with a ( C ) for a paragraph don't bother me. There was no header indicating Confidential information was contained. She can plausibly claim she missed those because there was no header. Confidential is the lowest level of security and basically don't mean much of anything to national security. I have rarely seen it used in 30 years of federal service. To me practically it prevents me from revealing IP or financial info regarding businesses whose proposals I have evaluated. That's not what bothers me.

The fact that many of these emails were upclassified later don't bother me either. What am I gonna do if I receive an unmarked document that is classified later?

What bothers me is that of the 8 email chains that were TS, 36 that were S, and 8 that were C NONE OF THEM WAS PROPERLY MARKED! This either demonstrates a level of ignorance that I can't even imagine for career federal employees or some sorta deceit. Do these people not receive the same annual security training that I have to take? Did they not realize that "Hey, I'm starting to get uncomfortable with this discussion over unsecured channels, let's take it to the cone of silence." ?

How do you not realize you're discussing sensitive info? As Secretary of State how do you not go into every discussion assuming it's sensitive?

Nothing's gonna come of this other than some career federal employees are likely to lose their jobs.

I got a choice for POTUS between either a deceitful and/or incompetent career politician or a completely unqualified buffoon. This choice is gonna come down to their VP selections for me. One might be impeached and the other might either resign immediately or get shot.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
08-07-2016, 04:49 PM
(08-07-2016 04:00 AM)BnW Wrote:  As for Gowdy, he can't work on a perjury charge. Congress can't prosecute. They just don't have that power. But, they can add it to the Articles of Impeachment I think they plan to hit her with on January 21.

Didn't they already try that with a Clinton and lose horribly? Tell them that George Santayana says, "Hi!"

Impeachment makes little sense. The Republicans are worried about Supreme Court Justices. Impeach Hillary successfully and you still have to deal with a Democrat VP and possibly more Dems further down the chain. Better to use any political ammo you have to keep her out to start with.

There's also the pesky problem that impeaching the president on Day 1 is going to look an awful lot like they're trying to override the will of the voters. Because they are. That won't sit well. It's a good way to get blamed for further destabilizing an already divided nation and get their asses handed to them for it.

That said, Never Misunderestimate Human Stupidity.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
08-07-2016, 10:00 PM
(08-07-2016 03:53 PM)BnW Wrote:  
(08-07-2016 01:39 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Call it what it is, desperation.

The Republicans have zero credibility, I agree. But, that doesn't automatically mean they are wrong. She testified to one thing while under oath and seemingly told the FBI something different when questioned. There is a legitimate question here and Congress has every right to ask for an investigation.

If that were their intent, that they legitimately were concerned and that she willfully and intentionally shared this info with people not in the loop, then I would agree. But, this entire case will fail because she didn't share this info with those who don't have clearance, she has a plausible story that will defeat any questioning and they clearly are doing this because they don't want her to win the presidency and fill SCOTUS seats.

It's not legitimate. It's petty, childish and desperate. The whole world knows these are two different cases and that the Republicunts are just a bunch of whiny babies desperate for any of their shit slinging to stick to the wall. They are too stupid to realize they are causing the very collapse that Trump is capitalizing on. She can't be impeached on Day 1 for shit she did when she wasn't president. It's ridiculous. Her husband was impeached and then acquitted. And that was shit he did while in office. This bullshit doesn't have a chance.

So sad that these idiots will waste our tax money yet again.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
09-07-2016, 12:07 AM
(08-07-2016 10:09 AM)BnW Wrote:  I think if the Republicans maintain control of the House, and I expect they will, they will push for Impeachment irrespective of the likely outcome in the Senate. The likelihood of success is not going to be even a remote consideration in their calculus.

It's possible you're right, sure. But I think that the Republican leadership may act in a more circumspect manner. Had I just suffered a third straight Presidential-election loss, and did so by nominating such a toxic character as Trump, and lost the Senate, the last thing I'd do would be to court another bloody nose. I would probably focus on reintegrating the party-base, especially in light of the demographic story. The Democrats are scoring well in attracting youth, and even the Republican nominee has criticized the bakrupt nature of their economic policy at times -- meaning that as those young Deocrats age, they will be less-likely to flip Republican (as they've done too often in the past.)

A very public, very contentious failure won't aid that goal, I think. It would do well amongst the staunch die-hards, but at this point, the Republicans need to expand their appeal.
09-07-2016, 12:13 AM
(08-07-2016 12:39 PM)BnW Wrote:  I think a few of you have been in a coma the past 8 years. The Republicans have been focused exclusively on catering to a dwindling base of supporters since Obama was elected. If you think they are not going to go forward with an Impeachment, you haven't been paying attention.

I'm pretty sure they're very aware of that dwindling base, and realize the need to not only shore it up, but expand it. The Nixonian strategy has run its course, and I think the Republican leadership can read that writing on the wall.

Trump is the epitome of that strategy -- divisiveness, appeals to latent xenophobia, and so on -- and the Republican leadership cannot run fast enough away from him.
09-07-2016, 12:15 AM
(08-07-2016 03:53 PM)BnW Wrote:  
(08-07-2016 01:39 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Call it what it is, desperation.

It should be noted that a lie in either instance is subject to criminal prosecution.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
09-07-2016, 02:35 PM
(09-07-2016 12:15 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(08-07-2016 03:53 PM)BnW Wrote:  The Republicans have zero credibility, I agree. But, that doesn't automatically mean they are wrong. She testified to one thing while under oath and seemingly told the FBI something different when questioned. There is a legitimate question here and Congress has every right to ask for an investigation.

It should be noted that a lie in either instance is subject to criminal prosecution.

But, again, perjury is next to impossible to prove here. Common sense should prevail over vendettas and being butthurt.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-07-2016, 03:41 PM
They should prevail, of course. But this is American politics we're talking about here.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
10-07-2016, 10:20 AM
(09-07-2016 02:35 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(09-07-2016 12:15 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  It should be noted that a lie in either instance is subject to criminal prosecution.

But, again, perjury is next to impossible to prove here. Common sense should prevail over vendettas and being butthurt.

I'm not sure why perjury is next to impossible to prove here. I think this case has an easier burden of proof than probably almost any perjury case you can have. Ignoring the specifics of who she is and all the extra circumstances, you have someone who spoke to two different bodies and told told two different stories. It's not like 10 years went by between the two tellings, either. Within roughly a 12 month period she gave one account to Congress while under oath and a different account to the investigating agents from the FBI.

Why you insist it is impossible to prove perjury is a mystery to me.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 2 users Like BnW's post