US army cutting down?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-02-2014, 08:15 AM
US army cutting down?
According to the New York Times the pentagon plans to cut down military spending to a pre WW2 level?

It would of course be a very sensible thing to do, but is this story true?

Until now it always seemd that cutting military spending was a non-option for your government

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/24/us/pol....html?_r=0

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-02-2014, 08:20 AM
RE: US army cutting down?
(24-02-2014 08:15 AM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  According to the New York Times the pentagon plans to cut down military spending to a pre WW2 level?

Until now it always seemd that cutting military spending was a non-option for your government

This is a proposal being drawn up by a cabinet member not a binding law. I doubt this budget would pass the house or senate where all the lobbyist's bought and paid for shills sit.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 4 users Like Revenant77x's post
24-02-2014, 08:36 AM
(24-02-2014 08:20 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  This is a proposal being drawn up by a cabinet member not a binding law. I doubt this budget would pass the house or senate where all the lobbyist's bought and paid for shills sit.

Very unfortunate.

Especialy the lobbyist thing.

It is my opinion that you have legalised corruption in your country through that.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
[+] 4 users Like The Germans are coming's post
24-02-2014, 09:25 AM
(24-02-2014 08:36 AM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  Very unfortunate.

Especialy the lobbyist thing.

It is my opinion that you have legalised corruption in your country through that.

You and me both. Fuck Citizens United.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
24-02-2014, 10:38 AM
(24-02-2014 08:15 AM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  According to the New York Times the pentagon plans to cut down military spending to a pre WW2 level?

Yes the military has been cutting back since mid last year. They've been discharging any soldier who's not meeting standards or physical issues. The physical issues part really steams me because most of those soldiers GOT those physical issues due to serving their country only for their country to say "hey thanks........but you're broken now so you must go." Jesus that's harsh.
The suicide rate is at an all time high due to this cut back. Thousands upon thousands of young people for the past 12+ yrs signed up as a career move with many being told since we're not at war that they're no longer needed. My daughter and son-in-law are top shape and #1 in their field so they are safe from this. But OMG their friends? So many of their friends are being "sectioned out".

I get that obviously we need more soldiers when we're at war. I mean Duh - right? But no one really thinks about what happens to So So many of those soldiers when war ends. No......... they don't all get to stay in the military with their paychecks and benefits. Last I heard about 1/4 of the military status of last year will be discharged. Every jacket is being read as I type this and any and ALL excuses for dismissal are being reviewed.

Bottom line - if you are not promote-able--- - you are disposable.

Weeping

I would yell if I knew who to yell at. And it does make pragmatic sense to not keep an influx of soldiers who are not really needed. So what is the solution?

I mean really?

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
24-02-2014, 11:17 AM
The major money problems lie in the huge weapons/equipment contracts, most of which will never be used and sold of at best as surplus.

Manpower isnt the best place to cut big money from defense spending, defense contracts are.

They also seem to be cutting at the VA level too, another real slap in the faces of those who served and got a disability.

Gotta keep them big companies happy tho.... Angry

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post
24-02-2014, 11:24 AM
(24-02-2014 11:17 AM)War Horse Wrote:  The major money problems lie in the huge weapons/equipment contracts, most of which will never be used and sold of at best as surplus.

Manpower isnt the best place to cut big money from defense spending, defense contracts are.

They also seem to be cutting at the VA level too, another real slap in the faces of those who served and got a disability.

Gotta keep them big companies happy tho.... Angry

Don't get me started. Keeping HUGE machine contracts and letting broken soldiers go just does not sit right with me............

(need to scream)
DAMMIT !!!!

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
24-02-2014, 11:32 AM
(24-02-2014 11:24 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Don't get me started. Keeping HUGE machine contracts and letting broken soldiers go just does not sit right with me............

(need to scream)
DAMMIT !!!!

I know, dont scream, it wont do any good. Hug

I was in the USAF during the 70s, when we were giving our F4's away to Iran and training their pilots here, not to mention, we paid them to train here. Angry

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
24-02-2014, 11:36 AM
Isn't it better that they cut the soldiers and invest on machines? I mean, I'd rather to make machines fight against machines in the weirdest and most absurdly expensive chess game ever than have people kill each other. I get that it's bad for people loosing their jobs, but isn't it better in the long term?

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
24-02-2014, 11:45 AM
(24-02-2014 08:20 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  

This is a proposal being drawn up by a cabinet member not a binding law. I doubt this budget would pass the house or senate where all the lobbyist's bought and paid for shills sit.

Yeah cuz we really need 50,000+ marines still keeping those "Japs" in their place. Weeping
Or maybe they're still waiting to save the world from Godzilla and Rodan.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche