US army war college lecture The Soviet-German War, 1941-1945: Myths and Realities

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-07-2015, 12:50 AM
US army war college lecture The Soviet-German War, 1941-1945: Myths and Realities
Hi guys.
As a person with an avid interest in history, the history of WWII has always fascinated me. Especially the war in the east between Germany and it's allies and Soviet Russia.

It used to be very difficult to obtain accurate histories before the fall of the Soviet Union. After that, decent histories translated from Russian began to appear which showed the scale of the conflict. Often in the west this scale is misunderstood or simply unknown. For example 80% of all German losses occurred in the east.

Lately I have been searching Youtube for various lectures and documentaries on this subject. I found this excellent lecture that only lasts for about 75 minutes given at the US army war college.

If anyone is interested, I hope they enjoy it.

There is also an excellent Russian television documentary over 18 episodes on The Great Patriotic War. It is called Soviet Storm: World War II: War in the East.

Episode #1 can be found here:

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
10-07-2015, 01:03 AM
RE: US army war college lecture The Soviet-German War, 1941-1945: Myths and Realities
How about books? You read something that you could recommend?

While I'm interested in WW II it is more about mass killings that took place then, from strictly military viewpoint I have read Beevor books and I'm wondering what else is worth reading.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
10-07-2015, 01:25 AM
RE: US army war college lecture The Soviet-German War, 1941-1945: Myths and Realities
(10-07-2015 01:03 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  How about books? You read something that you could recommend?

While I'm interested in WW II it is more about mass killings that took place then, from strictly military viewpoint I have read Beevor books and I'm wondering what else is worth reading.

I read some back several years ago. Often books by single soldiers or pilots, such as Footsteps of the hunter, by Adolf Dickfeld, and others. Mainly devoted to the air war. And often written by Germans. For example I have many Schiffer publications.

However lately a plethora of books have been released. The Colonel giving this lecture has written many. None of which I have read but plan to seek out. Most of the books I read in the early nineties to 2000's were written by guys with Russian names I cannot remember just now. However I will remember them.

A book I am currently reading is called Defending the Motherland, by Lyuba Vinogradova. It is the story of the female pilots who served in the Red army air force.

Most recently I read Operation Barbarossa and Germany's Defeat in the East by David Stahel. It was not bad.

These days there are also many things on the net such as this.

I have not read books on mass killings, but have where masses of soldiers were lost. The TV series mentions many, Mainly I am interested in battles and strategies.

I'll have a look through what I have left in my book shelf tomorrow when it is light. And I will think back on what I read and add to this thread again tomorrow. As the day gets longer, my mind slows down at this time.

That interactive site is very well done as well.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
10-07-2015, 01:46 AM
(10-07-2015 01:25 AM)Banjo Wrote:  However lately a plethora of books have been released. The Colonel giving this lecture has written many. None of which I have read but plan to seek out. Most of the books I read in the early nineties to 2000's were written by guys with Russian names I cannot remember just now. However I will remember them.

From Russians Solonin could be worth reading.

(10-07-2015 01:25 AM)Banjo Wrote:  A book I am currently reading is called Defending the Motherland, by Lyuba Vinogradova. It is the story of the female pilots who served in the Red army air force.

Then maybe you will be interested in Svetlana Alexievich War’s Unwomanly Face. Quite interesting read containg short stories about war from women perspective. Also Soldat by Nikolaj Nikulin - war from perspective of lone soldier.

(10-07-2015 01:25 AM)Banjo Wrote:  These days there are also many things on the net such as this.

Thanks. Will have to check it sometime.

(10-07-2015 01:25 AM)Banjo Wrote:  I have not read books on mass killings, but have where masses of soldiers were lost. The TV series mentions many, Mainly I am interested in battles and strategies.

For me battles and strategies are side interest. However I could recommend some books about Shoah or others Nazi crimes [/i]if you're interested.

(10-07-2015 01:25 AM)Banjo Wrote:  I'll have a look through what I have left in my book shelf tomorrow when it is light. And I will think back on what I read and add to this thread again tomorrow. As the day gets longer, my mind slows down at this time.

Thanks.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
10-07-2015, 01:52 AM
Please feel free to recommend any books you think interesting on this subject. I will be sure to check them out. I have loads of free time these days.

Banjo.
10-07-2015, 02:09 AM
(10-07-2015 01:52 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Please feel free to recommend any books you think interesting on this subject. I will be sure to check them out. I have loads of free time these days.

Ok. Some are not be only about WW II years.

- Raul Hilberg: The Destruction of the European Jews and Perpetrators, Victims, Bystanders: The Jewish catastrophe, 1933-1945

- Christopher Browning: The Origins of the Final Solution : The Evolution of Nazi Jewish Policy, September 1939 – March 1942 and Ordinary Men : Reserve Police Battalion 101 and the Final Solution in Poland

- Timothy Snyder: Bloodlands: Europe Between Hitler and Stalin

- Ian Kershaw: Hitler, The Germans, and the Final Solution and The End: Hitler's Germany 1944-45

- Anna Reid: Leningrad: The Epic Siege of World War II, 1941-1944

- Karl-Heinz Frieser: The Blitzkrieg Legend: The 1940 Campaign in the West

- Alexandra Richie: Warsaw 1944: Hitler, Himmler, and the Warsaw Uprising

- Wendy Lower: Hitler's Furies: German Women in the Nazi Killing Fields

- Sönke Neitzel and Harald Welzer: Soldaten

- Richard Lukas: Forgotten Holocaust: The Poles Under German Occupation, 1939-1944

- Christian Ingrao: Believe and Destroy: Intellectuals in the SS War Machine

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post