US immigration

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-08-2017, 01:50 PM
US immigration
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/02/us/po...ation.html

Quote: President Trump embraced legislation on Wednesday that would cut legal immigration to the United States in half within a decade by sharply curtailing the ability of American citizens and legal residents to bring family members into the country.

Quote:“This competitive application process will favor applicants who can speak English, financially support themselves and their families and demonstrate skills that will contribute to our economy,” Mr. Trump said.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2017, 04:35 PM
RE: US immigration
I don't know what rules were in place when you came to the states Dom but I know when my grandfather came over from Germany he had to have several things...

1)He had to speak English
2)He had to have a sponsor
3)He had to have a trade
4)He had to take and pass the citizenship test within a set time

There were other requirements but I don't remember them all.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
02-08-2017, 05:13 PM
(02-08-2017 04:35 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I don't know what rules were in place when you came to the states Dom but I know when my grandfather came over from Germany he had to have several things...

3)He had to have a trade

I was the wife of a US veteran. So - a relative.

Back then (early 70s) you could also come if you provided housing or jobs.

You know how Kushner's relatives sell condos to rich Arabs so they can immigrate to the US via providing housing? I wonder if this bill would put a crimp in that. Also, Trump himself needs low grade pay immigrants in his hotels...

That bill is just something to do to make his shrinking base happy. I wonder if he realizes who all will be unhappy - farmers and vacation related businesses for one.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
02-08-2017, 05:36 PM
"Since 2000, legal immigrants to the United States number approximately 1,000,000 per year, of whom about 600,000 are Change of Status who already are in the U.S."

The impact of this seems pretty small. What we only gonna let 200,000 new green cards in instead of 400,000? Is that the best you can come up with on immigration policy? It was fun to watch some asshat named Stephen Miller and Jim Acosta go at it, though. Generally government officials try to refrain from engaging in that kind of embarrassing behavior in public.

#sigh
02-08-2017, 05:58 PM
(02-08-2017 05:36 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  "Since 2000, legal immigrants to the United States number approximately 1,000,000 per year, of whom about 600,000 are Change of Status who already are in the U.S."

The impact of this seems pretty small. What we only gonna let 200,000 new green cards in instead of 400,000? Is that the best you can come up with on immigration policy? It was fun to watch some asshat named Stephen Miller and Jim Acosta go at it, though. Generally government officials try to refrain from engaging in that kind of embarrassing behavior in public.

When I lived in the central valley of California, I used to see the migrant workers in the tomato fields. Bent over, temperature between 100 and 110 degrees, putting in full 8 hour days. You never saw them in town at all, it was like they didn't exist.

Without those workers, no tomatoes. Or are you going to work for less than minimum wage under those conditions on a temporary job? Trump's policy is cutting out all the people without education. Who do you think staffs our hotels? Nuts. He's never going to talk coal miners to take those jobs.

[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
02-08-2017, 06:06 PM
(02-08-2017 05:58 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(02-08-2017 05:36 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  "Since 2000, legal immigrants to the United States number approximately 1,000,000 per year, of whom about 600,000 are Change of Status who already are in the U.S."

When I lived in the central valley of California, I used to see the migrant workers in the tomato fields. Bent over, temperature between 100 and 110 degrees, putting in full 8 hour days. You never saw them in town at all, it was like they didn't exist.

Without those workers, no tomatoes. Or are you going to work for less than minimum wage under those conditions on a temporary job? Trump's policy is cutting out all the people without education. Who do you think staffs our hotels? Nuts. He's never going to talk coal miners to take those jobs.

Thing is, the rude dude was very specific in pointing out it didn't apply to guest workers on temporary visas like the ones Trump exploits at his properties, just green cards for permanent residency which are like 1/4 the amount of temporary worker visas issued. If this is the most significant thing Trump can accomplish on immigration, his base is not gonna be happy.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
02-08-2017, 06:06 PM
Kind of the same with Brits and my job-stealing, dole-living countrymen. Let's see who's gonna be picking the strawberries for their strawberries and cream at Wimbledon or who's gonna sponge-bathe their incontinent, senile great-aunt Elspeth when they kick us nasty Eastern-Europeans out.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Vera's post
03-08-2017, 10:18 AM
Trups granddad Friedrich was a barber and 16 years old when he decided to follow his sister and emigrate into the US. Being 16 and of low social state (and it was 1885, why learn english?) i doubt he spoke english. He had no job when he arrived in New York (but found one, as a barber, the very next day). One of the reasons why he left Kallstatt/Germany in the first place was that he would only inherit only a very small part of his mothers land, which was very small to begin with.

Am i right in assuming that DJT would have sent his own granddad back to Germany? Consider Facepalm

As i see it his granddad would have voilated each and every criterion DJT gave:

- speak english
- be able to support yourself (he moved into his sisters apartment when he arrived in NY)
- have skills to contribute to the economy of the US

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 3 users Like Deesse23's post
03-08-2017, 11:11 AM
That you decide to priorise immigrants who speak english, have diplomas and special skills and who already have the resources to take care of themselves is completly logical and I have no problem against that. In fact I prefer a system where immigrants are selected in function of their trade and education than by the nation from which they come. That being said, America, unlike many other developped country, has a very large territory, a massive population and an enormous power of attraction due to its reputation. I think that most of America's problem with illegal immigration comes from the fact that their immigration policies are too stiff and restrictive and not generous enough. If hte US economy can roll like it does with 11 million illegal immigrants on its territory, it means that its economy and society can support a much higher degree of immigration than it does officially. Many other western country are in the same situation, they consistently underestimate their capacity to integrate immigrants by fear of xenophobic backlash from their population.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
03-08-2017, 11:31 AM
(02-08-2017 04:35 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I don't know what rules were in place when you came to the states Dom but I know when my grandfather came over from Germany he had to have several things...

3)He had to have a trade

SO? I also hate to burst your bubble but those rules are never obeyed by 100% of migrants or refugees and never have been. Everyone from the Chinese/Asians whom helped build the continental railroad, to Italians. You name it, people from all over the world have come here both legally and without papers. If you think back then it was different you are kidding yourself.

My Japanese X wife waited in line too, so? It does not mean we should become inhuman to those who are not as fortunate as to have those skills. What matters to me more is once they get here how we can provide to them so they can help themselves and their families. All 7 billion humans are the same species.

I am not against deportation, but if a non violent individual is going to get sent back to a place where they might starve to death or get murdered because of crime and or war, especially when it comes to kids no, I would not want them deported.

Even with those without papers, I never will advocate for blanket solutions. You have to think about what if it were you trying to flee famine, war or crime, would you want the place you might end up in to say "sorry sucks to be you"?

FYI, we denied a boat full of Jews access to America because of our agreement with Cuba at the time. As a result of the boat not being allowed to continue onto America, it got sent back to Nazi occupied Europe and most of the 900 ended up being murdered.

Deport violent individuals ABSOLUTELY. But any deportation after that has to be a case by case basis. I have two Hispanic families I have lived next to for 10 years. Not one lick of trouble from them Do I know their legal status? No, but I do know they have kids, and I do know they have not given me any trouble. That is more than I can say than tons of people I know born here and legal.

What Trump is advocating is inhuman and smacks of WW2 German xenophobia. It is absolutely nothing the west should aspire to act like.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user