US military bases worldwide

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-04-2017, 03:08 AM
US military bases worldwide
Hi,

I was watching a John Pilger clip and he inspired me to look at a US military bases world map.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/wp-content/.../map-2.jpg

Well, looking at that, it is hard to criticise Trump’s present antics in light of the militarism going on through successive presidencies. It is a plain fact that the US military reaches in to 50 countries, and where they go they rarely leave.

There is some level of balance though. China and Russia are free of bases, and their common border allows an integral part of the globe to be US free. Interestingly, South America and Africa are also relatively free.

Comforting thoughts? Well, I guess the sideshow of US politics is just that, and the work is done below the media radar. So, we can stop worrying about particular presidents or parties, as they will all inherit this embedded structure as they come and go. The other thought is that the US worker has to pay for this behemoth in their tax dollars, and the ‘guest’ countries will be getting the ground rent.

But, when there is any bleating about Russian or Chinese ‘expansion’ I recommend a sobering look at the linked map.

D.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-04-2017, 04:21 AM
RE: US military bases worldwide
Does it show a "base" in Australia? I always had a good laugh when guys got excited about being assigned to Australia for duty. Laughat That "base" is basically a radio relay station out in the middle of fuck-all.

The implication that the US military runs those countries is absurd.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post
17-04-2017, 04:45 AM
I think it takes up around a 1/4 of the total defense budget, too. No other country feels the need to do this to the extent that the US does. I guess the US is just that special. Rolleyes

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 2 users Like cactus's post
17-04-2017, 06:55 AM
A bit over-simplified. The vast majority of those installations are jointly-held and paid for by both the US and the host country by mutual agreement. The one that is a big exception is Guantanamo Bay Naval Base in Cuba, which doesn't even show on the map. (Technically, it is held on a "perpetual lease" signed by the Cuban government in 1903.) The others are renegotiated periodically as part of defense pacts (like NATO) or whenever a new government wants to make a political point. A check for military installations of other countries - Russia, China, UK, and even France - will show a near-global network, too.

Do we need them all, and do we really need the cost of that kind of "global reach" to keep ourselves safe? That's a whole other discussion.
[+] 2 users Like Rockblossom's post
17-04-2017, 07:01 AM
This. I was twenty years active duty and another twenty years working part-time for certain government/military organizations. I don't recall "occupation duty"-type work being a thing in many places nor for long in the places where it did happen.

The US "empire" BS is the result of Youtube propaganda and is worth everything you pay for it.
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post
17-04-2017, 07:39 AM
Except those are mutual agreements between allies and Russia just blatantly invades a sovereign country and annexes an entire area of it...

[Image: oscar.png]
17-04-2017, 03:12 PM (This post was last modified: 17-04-2017 03:20 PM by Dworkin.)
(17-04-2017 04:45 AM)cactus Wrote:  I think it takes up around a 1/4 of the total defense budget, too. No other country feels the need to do this to the extent that the US does. I guess the US is just that special. Rolleyes

cactus,

Yes, there have been some eye watering numbers on the costs.

The attached link (Global Research) has a total of around 700 - 800 bases in 2005. Elsewhere I have seen numbers of up to $1.5 trillion. However, as others have pointed out, the information is variable online, which is no surprise. More research needed.

Your point about 'why' is apposite. I think many bases will be there for historic reasons, such as WWII, the 'cold war' and the Korean war.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-worldwi...bases/5564

There are six substantial US bases in my country (the UK) and they have been here for as long as I can remember.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre...e-us-bases

D.
17-04-2017, 03:52 PM
And here I thought the trendy complaint this month was us not having enough of a deterrence in Eastern Europe.

'Murican Canadian
17-04-2017, 03:54 PM
(17-04-2017 03:52 PM)yakherder Wrote:  And here I thought the trendy complaint this month was us not having enough of a deterrence in Eastern Europe.

The word I got in boot camp: "You will be damned if you do, and damned if you don't."
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
17-04-2017, 04:43 PM
(17-04-2017 06:55 AM)Rockblossom Wrote:  Do we need them all, and do we really need the cost of that kind of "global reach" to keep ourselves safe? That's a whole other discussion.

Rockblossom,

That's a good point.

D.
[+] 1 user Likes Dworkin's post