US third largest atheist population?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-10-2014, 12:37 PM
US third largest atheist population?
So I found this article while searching for stats on global atheism. And I was astounded to find that not only is atheism or "unaffiliated" the third largest group in terms of religion, but that the US has the largest population in the western world.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...Islam.html

I haven't had time to check with other sources yet (I'm in class ATM) so I don't know how credible this is. But it at least looks plausible.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-10-2014, 12:53 PM
RE: US third largest atheist population?
It's because we trounce everyone in the Western world in population.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 4 users Like ClydeLee's post
27-10-2014, 01:04 PM
Sadly, that is the case.

We also have more gun nuts. More creatard assholes. And more mormons.

Not much to be proud of there.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
27-10-2014, 01:07 PM
Raw numbers are irrelevant; 2% of the United States is a greater quantity than 100% of Denmark.

Rates, on the other hand...

... this is my signature!
[+] 4 users Like cjlr's post
27-10-2014, 01:09 PM
Around 6 percent of Americans identify as atheists or agnostics and another 15 or so percent are unaffiliated. Even if we just focused on the atheism/agnostic section of the population in America, that's still 18 million people who self identify as non-religious, and the number of people whose actual beliefs fall in line with the atheist/agnostic position is probably higher than the reported number (there is a noted discrepancy between what people identify as and what people believe; there very well could be more than 6% of Americans that are in fact atheist/agnostic but refuse to adopt the label).

[Image: giphy.gif]
27-10-2014, 01:09 PM
I would caution against using the term unaffiliated and atheist interchangeably. They listed China as first, for example, but even though many are unaffiliated, they tend to be quite superstitious, especially in rural China. They may call themselves not religious, but believe in ghosts, an afterlife, etc, performing rituals at funerals that include sacrificing currency specific to the afterlife so their loved ones have something to get them started in their new world. That may not be Christian, Buddhist, or Muslim, but it's definitely not Atheistic.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
27-10-2014, 01:25 PM
From the article:

"The 'unaffiliated' category covers all those who profess no religion, from atheists and agnostics to people with spiritual beliefs but no link to any established faith.

'Many of the religiously unaffiliated do hold religious or spiritual beliefs,' the study stressed. " (My highlight)
[+] 1 user Likes Gaest's post
27-10-2014, 01:42 PM
To that end, I wouldn't be surprised if the United States actually has the largest atheist population.

'Murican Canadian
27-10-2014, 03:59 PM
That'd be kind of sad if true (without the general larger population already mentioned). We have a pretty low number of atheists, all things considered. I'd hate to think no other country has more.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
29-10-2014, 08:56 PM
(27-10-2014 03:59 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  That'd be kind of sad if true (without the general larger population already mentioned). We have a pretty low number of atheists, all things considered. I'd hate to think no other country has more.

We have to remember that the US just has such a massively disproportionate population compared to the rest of the West; plenty of countries have more atheists relative to their own populations then the US does.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.