US third largest atheist population?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-10-2014, 04:12 AM
RE: US third largest atheist population?
... and it's the Daily Mail.

So there's that.

Drinking Beverage

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-10-2014, 09:46 AM
An example of a not quite atheistic practice in non affiliated China lol...

Ghost Marriages

'Murican Canadian
31-10-2014, 06:26 AM
(27-10-2014 01:09 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  Around 6 percent of Americans identify as atheists or agnostics and another 15 or so percent are unaffiliated. Even if we just focused on the atheism/agnostic section of the population in America, that's still 18 million people who self identify as non-religious, and the number of people whose actual beliefs fall in line with the atheist/agnostic position is probably higher than the reported number (there is a noted discrepancy between what people identify as and what people believe; there very well could be more than 6% of Americans that are in fact atheist/agnostic but refuse to adopt the label).
That would be openly identify. I suspect than many, like me, keep it to themselves to avoid family conflict and the social fall out of not being religious.
31-10-2014, 07:07 AM
(27-10-2014 01:25 PM)Gaest Wrote:  From the article:

"The 'unaffiliated' category covers all those who profess no religion, from atheists and agnostics to people with spiritual beliefs but no link to any established faith.

'Many of the religiously unaffiliated do hold religious or spiritual beliefs,' the study stressed. " (My highlight)

True, and there are spiritual atheists out there.
31-10-2014, 07:34 AM
(27-10-2014 12:37 PM)natachan Wrote:  So I found this article while searching for stats on global atheism. And I was astounded to find that not only is atheism or "unaffiliated" the third largest group in terms of religion, but that the US has the largest population in the western world.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...Islam.html

I haven't had time to check with other sources yet (I'm in class ATM) so I don't know how credible this is. But it at least looks plausible.

Unaffilated and atheist are not the same. In fact if you want to group them together, then all the positive stats about atheists, religious knowledge, prison representation, education levels, all go down significantly. I do think it's funny how atheists are quick to use the unaffiliated to fluff their numbers, but distance themselves as quick as possible when it comes to anything else.

Unaffiliated is representative of groups who don't see themselves connected to any particular religion, but who often believe in some sort of God, or higher power, or woo.