USA Today - Creationism Support Hits A New Low

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-07-2017, 01:03 PM
USA Today - Creationism Support Hits A New Low
https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2...467800001/

"Creationism support is at a new low. The reason should give us hope."
-----
Apparently fundamentalism and biblical literalism is cratering and people are moving to adopt guided evolution.

----
According to a Gallup poll conducted in May, the portion of the American public taking this position now stands at 38%, a new low in Gallup’s periodic surveys. Fifty-seven percent accept the validity of the scientific consensus that human beings evolved from less advanced forms of life over millions of years.

When I shake my ignore file, I can hear them buzzing!

Cheerful Charlie
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post
13-07-2017, 01:08 PM
RE: USA Today - Creationism Support Hits A New Low
(13-07-2017 01:03 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  the portion of the American public taking this position now stands at 38%, a new low in Gallup’s periodic surveys. Fifty-seven percent accept the validity of the scientific consensus that human beings evolved from less advanced forms of life over millions of years.

Kinda sad (and frightening) that in the 21st century 38% can be seen as anything but a ridiculously, absurdly high percentage.

Also, being European, the first time I even heard about creationism, was on TTA...

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
13-07-2017, 01:15 PM
(13-07-2017 01:08 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(13-07-2017 01:03 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  the portion of the American public taking this position now stands at 38%, a new low in Gallup’s periodic surveys. Fifty-seven percent accept the validity of the scientific consensus that human beings evolved from less advanced forms of life over millions of years.

Kinda sad (and frightening) that in the 21st century 38% can be seen as anything but a ridiculously, absurdly high percentage.

Also, being European, the first time I even heard about creationism, was on TTA...

The UK has apparently had to deal with shit from creationists too. But yeah, the creationists seem to have the strongest following here in the states.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
13-07-2017, 01:18 PM
I'm going to guess a good 90-95% of that 38% live in the south.

SMH at the 38% though; that's still way too high.
13-07-2017, 01:20 PM
(13-07-2017 01:18 PM)ResidentEvilFan Wrote:  I'm going to guess a good 90-95% of that 38% live in the south.

SMH at the 38% though; that's still way too high.

I'm going to guess a good 90-95% of that 38% live in the Rural US.

I am from the South and while you have quite a large proportion of the population there that probably do believe this shit, I think it is just as prevalent in other small rural areas in the US. You have a lot of very religious conservative enclaves scattered throughout the midwest too.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
13-07-2017, 01:20 PM
Things would be good if said new low wasn't so high.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
13-07-2017, 01:24 PM
(13-07-2017 01:15 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  The UK has apparently had to deal with shit from creationists too. But yeah, the creationists seem to have the strongest following here in the states.

I think you brought your shit down our way and it is definitely *not* appreciated Dodgy

Much like you did here, in Brazil, where evangelicalism is on the rise.

[Image: 200.gif]

(well, not you personally, obviously Rolleyes )

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
13-07-2017, 01:30 PM
(13-07-2017 01:08 PM)Vera Wrote:  

Even in America the only way I heard about it before seeing atheist topic videos online was a baseball player in 2005 that said he didn't believe in no dinosaurs... and I didn't then still get the notion was because of YEC ideas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
13-07-2017, 01:38 PM
(13-07-2017 01:08 PM)Vera Wrote:  ...

Ditto. I thought it was a joke at first.

(13-07-2017 01:15 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  ...
The UK has apparently had to deal with shit from creationists too.

A microcosm perhaps but not that I noticed where I grew up.

We had a diet of Charles Darwin, David Attenborough and then Richard Dawkins doing the Christmas lectures.

Even the CofE (and I went to a CofE school) taught Genesis as myth.

Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
13-07-2017, 02:00 PM
Unfortunately, I live in Texas. We are overrun by creationists, and creationism is well supported by our idiot politicians. Our Texas State Board of Education is packed with creationists, and we fight creeping creationism in our school systems continually.

----
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/texa...71dcf4a155

Legislators in Texas are considering a bill that could make it easier for science teachers to present religious concepts alongside scientific theories like evolution.

The proposed legislation, introduced in February by Republican state Rep. Valoree Swanson, could allow public school teachers to present alternative theories to subjects that “may cause controversy,” including climate change, evolution, the origins of life and human cloning.

The bill is currently under committee review. If passed, it would go into effect for the 2017-18 academic year.

When I shake my ignore file, I can hear them buzzing!

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post