USA and Russia

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-12-2016, 04:40 PM
USA and Russia
Obama orders sanctions on Russia after campaign hacking during US election

Quote:The Obama administration on Thursday announced its retaliation against Russia for what US intelligence services believe to be efforts to interfere with the US presidential election, ordering sweeping new sanctions that included the expulsion of 35 Russians and the closure of two Russian compounds in the US

Quote:“I have issued an executive order that provides additional authority for responding to certain cyber activity that seeks to interfere with or undermine our election processes and institutions, or those of our allies or partners,” Obama said in the statement, released while he vacations with his family in Hawaii.

Quote:“Using this new authority, I have sanctioned nine entities and individuals: the GRU and the FSB, two Russian intelligence services; four individual officers of the GRU; and three companies that provided material support to the GRU’s cyber operations.
“In addition, the secretary of the treasury is designating two Russian individuals for using cyber-enabled means to cause misappropriation of funds and personal identifying information.”
Obama added that more actions would be taken, “some of which will not be publicized”.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016...ction-hack

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-12-2016, 04:46 PM
RE: USA and Russia
I don't think antagonizing Russia on the eve of a psychopath taking office is very smart.

I'm also not sure I'm convinced "Russia" did this stuff.
29-12-2016, 04:58 PM
(29-12-2016 04:46 PM)ImFred Wrote:  I don't think antagonizing Russia on the eve of a psychopath taking office is very smart.

I'm also not sure I'm convinced "Russia" did this stuff.

I think Obama must have very specific data, down to exact individuals, because that's pretty much what he sanctioned, the punishment of certain individuals and companies, not all of Russia.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
29-12-2016, 04:58 PM
Look out for the non-publicized ones. RIP.
29-12-2016, 06:19 PM
Trump says we need to move on and he'll get briefed on the situation sometime next week.

29-12-2016, 06:29 PM
The sanctions card has already been overplayed. All we've accomplished is the creation of a sanctions club large and diverse enough to thrive on their own, thereby defeating the purpose of the sanctions.

This move wasn't intended to coerce Russia. It was to satiate Americans by creating the illusion of leverage against Russia. If you're going to make accusations, not following up with actions that could be perceived as consequences makes you look weak.

Putin has already figured out that the rest of the world lacks resolve. But there is still political leverage to be gained by convincing our own people that this is not the case.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 4 users Like yakherder's post
29-12-2016, 06:38 PM
(29-12-2016 06:19 PM)Dom Wrote:  Trump says we need to move on and he'll get briefed on the situation sometime next week.

If he has time.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
29-12-2016, 07:21 PM
USA and Russia
This is Obama doing some political jockeying. All he wants to do is set Trump up.

Trump drops the sanctions and the dems have a fine campaign commercial in 3 years.
29-12-2016, 07:39 PM
(29-12-2016 07:21 PM)KUSA Wrote:  This is Obama doing some political jockeying. All he wants to do is set Trump up.

Trump drops the sanctions and the dems have a fine campaign commercial in 3 years.

Without proof the above is, as we say in Australia: "Fucking bullshit, mate!"

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
29-12-2016, 08:53 PM
(29-12-2016 07:21 PM)KUSA Wrote:  This is Obama doing some political jockeying. All he wants to do is set Trump up.

I don't know. I'm trying to figure this whole thing out. It may be just politicking but I'm not so sure. From what I've read, the Republicans leadership in the House and Senate were told this was coming and they were ok with it. In fact, at least Paul Ryan has already issued a statement saying he is on board. I've not seen anything from McConnell but I've not had time to look. From what I can tell, only Trump is saying "nothing to see here".

Like it or not, I think he's going to have a very tough time just overturning this if his own party is not on board with it.

Going to be interesting to see how this plays out

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 3 users Like BnW's post