USA signs memorandum to leave Trans-Pacific Partnership

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-01-2017, 12:32 PM
USA signs memorandum to leave Trans-Pacific Partnership
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/opinion/news/a...d=11787249

This is disappointing, but hopefully TPP will continue without USA, seems China will be the big economy in the deal. The world will move on, towards progressive free trade while USA looks to isolate itself, looks to swim against the tide of globalisation.

I don't see how the USA strategy will work.
Manufacturing things in USA will be more expensive than manufacturing abroad. USA exports will cease to be competitive on the global market.
Meanwhile back in USA (given USA made goods will be more expensive), USA will also put heavy tariffs on imports so that local made can be competitive with imports and hence overseas goods will be more expensive for USA people. You guys will have a high level of inflation, your companies will lose demand from exports and this will equate to loss of jobs, so you will get high inflation and high unemployment and high cost of living.

The opportunity for the rest of us is that we progress on our global trade. In markets where we couldn't previously compete against USA we will see opportunity to fill that supply ourselves, I think China will be the big winner. Of course we will lose a lucrative export market to USA and that will hurt and imports from USA will go up because USA made will be expensive and we will probably put tariffs on USA goods in retaliation to USA putting tariffs on our goods, so we will perhaps look to other suppliers where previously we bought from USA.
I would expect the other nations to do the same, NZ, Au, Japan, Singapore, Malaysia, China etc.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-01-2017, 12:33 PM
RE: USA signs memorandum to leave Trans-Pacific Partnership
(23-01-2017 12:32 PM)Stevil Wrote:  http://www.nzherald.co.nz/opinion/news/a...d=11787249

This is disappointing, but hopefully TPP will continue without USA, seems China will be the big economy in the deal. The world will move on, towards progressive free trade while USA looks to isolate itself, looks to swim against the tide of globalisation.

I don't see how the USA strategy will work.
Manufacturing things in USA will be more expensive than manufacturing abroad. USA exports will cease to be competitive on the global market.
Meanwhile back in USA (given USA made goods will be more expensive), USA will also put heavy tariffs on imports so that local made can be competitive with imports and hence overseas goods will be more expensive for USA people. You guys will have a high level of inflation, your companies will lose demand from exports and this will equate to loss of jobs, so you will get high inflation and high unemployment and high cost of living.

The opportunity for the rest of us is that we progress on our global trade. In markets where we couldn't previously compete against USA we will see opportunity to fill that supply ourselves, I think China will be the big winner. Of course we will lose a lucrative export market to USA and that will hurt and imports from USA will go up because USA made will be expensive and we will probably put tariffs on USA goods in retaliation to USA putting tariffs on our goods, so we will perhaps look to other suppliers where previously we bought from USA.
I would expect the other nations to do the same, NZ, Au, Japan, Singapore, Malaysia, China etc.

"I don't see how the USA strategy will work."

This will be the standard response for every US decision for the next 4 years.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
23-01-2017, 12:40 PM
(23-01-2017 12:33 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  "I don't see how the USA strategy will work."

I agree with centre right politics more than left but I really struggle with the USA republican party. They are very strange, seem to have their heads in the clouds.
23-01-2017, 12:41 PM
(23-01-2017 12:40 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(23-01-2017 12:33 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  "I don't see how the USA strategy will work."

I agree with centre right politics more than left but I really struggle with the USA republican party. They are very strange, seem to have their heads in the clouds.

Republicans wouldn't be considered center-right outside of the US in most developed first-world countries. They are further to the right and Trump is a nationalist.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
23-01-2017, 12:42 PM
China is not part of TPP.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
23-01-2017, 12:49 PM
(23-01-2017 12:40 PM)Stevil Wrote:  

Trump is not a Republican. They let him hijack their party, which is a good thing. Something had to happen. In the coming years both parties will have to realign themselves and establish real values and constituents. Trump is like a boil popping.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
23-01-2017, 12:52 PM
(23-01-2017 12:41 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(23-01-2017 12:40 PM)Stevil Wrote:  I agree with centre right politics more than left but I really struggle with the USA republican party. They are very strange, seem to have their heads in the clouds.

Republicans wouldn't be considered center-right outside of the US in most developed first-world countries. They are further to the right and Trump is a nationalist.
No, they are far right. But, I'm just saying that I agree with right more so than left.
23-01-2017, 12:54 PM
(23-01-2017 12:42 PM)tomilay Wrote:  China is not part of TPP.
http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/23/news/eco...ump-china/
23-01-2017, 12:59 PM
(23-01-2017 12:52 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(23-01-2017 12:41 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Republicans wouldn't be considered center-right outside of the US in most developed first-world countries. They are further to the right and Trump is a nationalist.
No, they are far right. But, I'm just saying that I agree with right more so than left.

OK, but those definitions are extremely skewed in the US. By the standards of most of the rest of the world, US Democrats are center-right and US Republicans are as far right as it's possible to go. We don't have any true liberals, although Bernie Sanders is close.

I honestly don't know where Trump fits on the political spectrum. He doesn't care about any of the standard things that Democrats or Republicans care about. He only cares about Trump.
23-01-2017, 01:13 PM
(23-01-2017 12:59 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  OK, but those definitions are extremely skewed in the US. By the standards of most of the rest of the world, US Democrats are center-right
Oh, OK, I didn't realise.

(23-01-2017 12:59 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I honestly don't know where Trump fits on the political spectrum. He doesn't care about any of the standard things that Democrats or Republicans care about. He only cares about Trump.
He took the Republican boat to the top so he has to implement some of their core policies. But I agree, he doesn't really seem all that interested, he is more focussed on what the media says about him or his popularity. He keeps putting out memes all trying to build up his personal brand, the Trump brand.