USS Indianapolis found!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-08-2017, 12:02 PM (This post was last modified: 26-08-2017 12:18 PM by Deesse23.)
USS Indianapolis found!
...by nobody less than Paul Allen (who also found the Musashi).
https://www.paulallen.com/wreckage-from-...ppine-sea/

For those who dont already know:
She transported parts of the first nuclear bomb ("little boy") to Tinian for asembly in july 1945. On her way back she was torpedoed and sunk within a few minutes by a japanese submarine. Of the 800 men who safely dissembarked, only some odd 300 could be rescued out of the shark infested waters three days later, since for some reason she wasnt first reported as MIA. Her skipper was brought to a naval court, whith the commander of the japanese sub testifying in his favour ("zig-zagging wouldt have helped him, i was too close"). IndianapolisĀ“skipper was found guilty of not having taken precautions of zig-zagging during the transfer, he never could cope with his burden, and commited suicide some years later.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Deesse23's post
26-08-2017, 12:07 PM
RE: USS Indianapolis found!
(26-08-2017 12:02 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  ...by nobody less than Paul Allen (who also found the Musashi).

She transported parts of the first nuclear bomb ("little boy") to Tinian for asembly in july 1945. On her way back she was torpedoed and sunk within a few minutes by a japanese submarine. Of the 800 men who safely dissembarked, only some odd 300 could be rescued out of the shark infested waters three days later, since for some reason she wasnt first reported as MIA. Her skipper was brought to a naval court, whith the commander of the japanese sub testifying in his favour ("zig-zagging wouldt have helped him, i was too close"). IndianapolisĀ“skipper was found guilty of not having taken precautions of zig-zagging during the transfer, he never could cope with his burden, and commited suicide some years later.

I recall that the character Quint from the movie Jaws was supposed to have been a survivor of the Indianapolis' sinking. Consider
[+] 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post
26-08-2017, 12:29 PM
(26-08-2017 12:07 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  
(26-08-2017 12:02 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  ...by nobody less than Paul Allen (who also found the Musashi).

I recall that the character Quint from the movie Jaws was supposed to have been a survivor of the Indianapolis' sinking. Consider
"I'll never wear a lifejacket again."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
26-08-2017, 12:36 PM
(26-08-2017 12:07 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  I recall that the character Quint from the movie Jaws was supposed to have been a survivor of the Indianapolis' sinking. Consider

If only there had been just one really gargantuan Great White he might have filled up after 10, or 20. Tongue

Ain't no joke, tho! You can shoot back at the Japanese. Dodge torpedoes. 500 men couldn't swim/dodge/stab fast enough to escape for real jaws. Confused

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
26-08-2017, 02:18 PM
Great video, but these robotic voices piss me off. "Liffa" jackets"? "The crew of the India"? FFS.

Why is it that less and less people are doing their own voice-overs today? No

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
26-08-2017, 02:28 PM
I wish i was Allen. He is doing this shit (amongst others) as a fecking hobby. On his website you can read "philantropist" as occupation. Censored

I.hate.him. Angel

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
26-08-2017, 02:44 PM
(26-08-2017 02:28 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  I wish i was Allen. He is doing this shit (amongst others) as a fecking hobby. On his website you can read "philantropist" as occupation. Censored

I.hate.him. Angel

"What are you without that suit?"

"Billionaire genius playboy philanthropist!"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post