UTA scientists date a poem
http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/...78752.html
Quote:‘Midnight Poem’

The moon has set

And the Pleiades;

It is midnight,

The time is going by,

And I sleep alone.

That’s a translation of Midnight Poem, in which the lyric poet Sappho described the night sky over Greece more than 2,500 years ago.

Now UTA physicists and astronomers have used advanced software to accurately date the poem, confirming the work of other scholars. They described their research in an article published Friday in the Journal of Astronomical History and Heritage. Martin George of the National Astronomical Research Institute of Thailand also participated in the work.

“This is an example of where the scientific community can make a contribution to knowledge described in important ancient texts,” UTA physics professor Manfred Cuntz, lead author of the study, said in a statement. “Estimations had been made for the timing of this poem in the past, but we were able to scientifically confirm the season that corresponds to her specific descriptions of the night sky in the year 570 B.C.”

The poem describes a star cluster known as the Pleiades having set at around midnight, when supposedly observed by her from the Greek island of Lesbos.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/...rylink=cpy

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Question's post
15-05-2016, 07:50 PM
RE: UTA scientists date a poem
(15-05-2016 07:04 PM)Question Wrote:  http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/...78752.html
Quote:‘Midnight Poem’

The moon has set

And the Pleiades;

It is midnight,

The time is going by,

And I sleep alone.

That’s a translation of Midnight Poem, in which the lyric poet Sappho described the night sky over Greece more than 2,500 years ago.

Now UTA physicists and astronomers have used advanced software to accurately date the poem, confirming the work of other scholars. They described their research in an article published Friday in the Journal of Astronomical History and Heritage. Martin George of the National Astronomical Research Institute of Thailand also participated in the work.

“This is an example of where the scientific community can make a contribution to knowledge described in important ancient texts,” UTA physics professor Manfred Cuntz, lead author of the study, said in a statement. “Estimations had been made for the timing of this poem in the past, but we were able to scientifically confirm the season that corresponds to her specific descriptions of the night sky in the year 570 B.C.”

The poem describes a star cluster known as the Pleiades having set at around midnight, when supposedly observed by her from the Greek island of Lesbos.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/...rylink=cpy

That's interesting. Thanks. I've seen a few sculptures of her but didn't know much about her.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
16-05-2016, 03:42 PM
That's so cool. Thumbsup

☆☆☆
16-05-2016, 05:08 PM
Those perverts! First it was men dating men, then women dating women, and now scientists are dating poems? What are we teaching our kids??!!1!

Hobo

In all seriousness though, that is quite awesome. Sappho could have never imagined that her words would have such an impact today. A couple of words giving so much information thousands of years later. Goosebumps!

Always loved how her poems show that timeless effect love has on humans. It's hard to believe that loving someone back then stirred the exact same emotions and we can perfectly relate to her words even today. But never mind me, just fangirling here.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 4 users Like undergroundp's post
16-05-2016, 05:42 PM
(16-05-2016 05:08 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  Those perverts! First it was men dating men, then women dating women, and now scientists are dating poems? What are we teaching our kids??!!1!

Hobo

In all seriousness though, that is quite awesome. Sappho could have never imagined that her words would have such an impact today. A couple of words giving so much information thousands of years later. Goosebumps!

Always loved how her poems show that timeless effect love has on humans. It's hard to believe that loving someone back then stirred the exact same emotions and we can perfectly relate to her words even today. But never mind me, just fangirling here.

Well they wouldn't be dating the poem if it didn't supposedly come from the island of Lesbos. That surely peaked some things, like interest.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post