• 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-11-2012, 11:45 PM
Uganda "Kill the gays" bill
Sickens me. Thanks missionaries!

Live life, cause you only have one!Youtuber:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Livelife8072
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-11-2012, 01:07 AM (This post was last modified: 13-11-2012 01:12 AM by Reltzik.)
RE: Uganda "Kill the gays" bill
I've been shaking my head over this ever since I heard about it a couple years ago. Biggest evidence ever for why

(1) The religious right isn't being guided by an omniscient, benevolent being. Argue the existence of said being whichever way you want, the religious right isn't being guided by any such.
(2) The religious right really SHOULD be judged by their fruits.
(3) The choice really IS between accepting gays (and other minority groups that society frowns on, like atheists), or pogroms, without middle ground. Individually, human beings can by and large handle grayscales and sophisticated statements like "I think what they're doing is wrong, but it would be wrong for me to cross such-and-such line to punish them." But collectively, humanity isn't capable of such fine distinctions. Allow those fine distinctions, and there will always be some fanatics who can't really comprehend them or abide by them whipping some Uganda into... this.

Not covered in the video: Three evangelical missionaries from the US went to Uganda and began spewing all the crap we typically hear in the US about gays from the religious right -- spreaders of diseases, underminers of society and marriage, predominantly pedophiles, etc, the normal acts of false witness we've come to expect from such fine upstanding Christians. They preached this to the upper echelons of government in the forms of seminars and so forth. The Three Idiots didn't realize they were playing with fire, and were suitably aghast when the government went to this extreme rather than, say, the anti-sodomy laws that the US had in the 50s (which were none to benign themselves). This wasn't the end they were aiming for. They are responsible nonetheless.

As an irrelevant aside, this was also a trigger for widespread anti-gay riots and lynchings in Uganda, and the lynchers acted more on rumor and innuendo than actual evidence that someone was gay. So if you ever encounter someone who just doesn't give a shit about gay rights? Point out that this crap gets straight people killed too. Which, of course, is an irrelevant distinction. This crap gets PEOPLE killed. Period.

Warning Labels: Long-winded. Twisted sense of humor (including puns, literalisms, absurdisms, all complicated by sarcasm and deadpan delivery). Contrarian. Do not combine with high quantities of sugar, acid (corrosive or hallucinogenic), or people who take themselves too seriously.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Would Abiogenesis kill religion? dancefortwo 54 856 01-06-2014 12:04 PM
Last Post: Bible Belt Brawler
  Abortion is illegal.. so let's kill all teh babies! IndianAtheist 10 239 24-04-2014 06:35 AM
Last Post: Bible Belt Brawler
  God Loves Uganda ghostexorcist 13 364 11-04-2014 08:13 AM
Last Post: ghostexorcist
  Gods license to kill donotwant 9 149 04-03-2014 07:53 AM
Last Post: RobbyPants
  Do you also hate/love Bill O'Reilly????? netninja 68 1,181 03-03-2014 02:17 PM
Last Post: Taqiyya Mockingbird
  UKIP Member Blames Bad Weather on Gays Sam 5 423 19-01-2014 03:40 PM
Last Post: Alla
  The Al Qaeda Way: Kill him with kindness nooneofconsequence 4 304 12-11-2013 04:58 AM
Last Post: Free Thought