Ugh... facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-06-2011, 04:00 PM
Ugh... facebook
Recently I have become more comfortable with my atheism, and I have started posting things on my facebook that are mildly...atheistic?

Very simple things, like one status was, "I hate when religious people shout about their faith and religion at every opportune moment, but when anyone raises one critical question about their religion they scream 'Stop Attacking My Faith!!! First Amendment First Amendment!'."
I also posted something about how illogical it was for some states to make "Fetal Endangerment" laws, yet still allow abortions.
Lastly I posted the video about Bastrop High school leading prayer at their graduation, and the condemnation of an atheist student.

Yet I recently got a message from my aunt, who is Catholic that I'm "Forcing my beliefs" on others by posting things on my own facebook page. I love my aunt very dearly, and I really don't want to upset her (she has a history of mental illness). But what do I do? I really don't want to stop posting my own thoughts and ideas on facebook (because... isn't that the point of facebook?) but I don't want to hurt my family's feelings.

Have any of you guys had similar problems? If so, how did you deal with these issues? Thanks for reading!

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-06-2011, 04:14 PM

RE: Ugh... facebook
(29-06-2011 04:00 PM)monkeyshine89 Wrote:  Recently I have become more comfortable with my atheism, and I have started posting things on my facebook that are mildly...atheistic?

Very simple things, like one status was, "I hate when religious people shout about their faith and religion at every opportune moment, but when anyone raises one critical question about their religion they scream 'Stop Attacking My Faith!!! First Amendment First Amendment!'."
I also posted something about how illogical it was for some states to make "Fetal Endangerment" laws, yet still allow abortions.
Lastly I posted the video about Bastrop High school leading prayer at their graduation, and the condemnation of an atheist student.

Yet I recently got a message from my aunt, who is Catholic that I'm "Forcing my beliefs" on others by posting things on my own facebook page. I love my aunt very dearly, and I really don't want to upset her (she has a history of mental illness). But what do I do? I really don't want to stop posting my own thoughts and ideas on facebook (because... isn't that the point of facebook?) but I don't want to hurt my family's feelings.

Have any of you guys had similar problems? If so, how did you deal with these issues? Thanks for reading!

Hi. I have had some friends defriend me because I actively post about my Atheism. I have had some support by others that are Atheists, which make up for the loss of people I thought were my friends.

There comes a time when, as an Atheist, you must realize that family members and friends who are religious are going to remain religious and quite possibly become distanced from you. A large portion of the people that I considered my family have left me because I am an Atheist. There is hope. Out of all that negativity, the positivity is that people who you don't really need in your life will be replaced by people you can appreciate and appreciate you. Sometimes you have to choose to live your life for you, and not for the family members who believe you are going to hell. The likelihood that nothing you say will ever change them and nothing they can say will change you is high. I hate writing people off, but I do not tolerate intolerance.

There comes a time where you enter into a place in your life where you will want people there in it to be caring for you genuinely, and not caring about you only for your "soul". There comes a time in your life where people will step away from you. Like I said earlier, the more people that step away from you and proclaim you are going to hell will be replaced by people who share your ideals, moral judgements, and Atheism. It is those people who are your true family.

Of course, this is just my opinion. I am sure others will disagree with me. This is what I have learned from my experience.
Quote this message in a reply
29-06-2011, 04:23 PM
Thanks, I kinda figured some people would be offended by my posts. Though I'm really not sure what i did wrong, I posted my own ideas and thoughts on my wall and status. It's not like anyone is forced to see my message, and even if they did, I make sure that my message is always considerate, and I'm always polite (well..more or less). Besides if it really offends you, you can either "de-friend" me. Or simply not follow me on the news feed.

What I could use is a way to not let certain people see my posts (and have this set up automatically instead of manually adding names). I tried creating a "list" of my sensitive family members and friends, but I really couldn't find anything to do with that list. Perhaps I need to e-mail facebook support and ask if they have sort of solution for my problem.

29-06-2011, 04:33 PM
I post the occasional video on atheism. Like Science Saved My Soul etc etc.
Never had an adverse reply from anyone. If anything the comments are positive.

I don't have any openly religious people on my friends list, though.
They were rather difficult to find around my high school / age group.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MindprowlerMusic
29-06-2011, 04:45 PM
I think my friends/family list is around 75% Religious (various religions) and about 25% ambivalent/agnostic/atheist. Of those 75% religious, about 60-70% do not follow my posts, are indifferent to atheists, or have an open mind themselves. 40-30% of my religious friends openly disagree with my posts, feel "offended", or otherwise upset at my face book page.

Unfortunately those 20% of my face book "friends" are actually my family members, whom I care for very much (Including my grandmother, who I stayed with during both her chemotherapy for breast cancer and her open heart surgery for a failing heart valve, so I'm very close to her)...

She doesn't even know I'm not Christian.

29-06-2011, 05:06 PM
I only accepted FB friends requests from people I was sure would not be offended by my strong atheist rants, like people from my atheist meet-up group, people I've meet at conferences and the few family members who are okay with who I am. If seriously religious family or friends send me friends requests I decline them. I figure whatever hurt feelings they may have from being declined would be far less painful than reading my rants. That way I can be myself on Facebook without worry.

“There is no sin except stupidity.” Oscar Wilde
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-06-2011, 07:37 PM
It worries me that you have to go that far. I don't know a single person who would actually
get hurt feelings from anybody posting an atheist video on Facebook. At least not offended
enough to actually reply saying that they were offended or even disagree.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MindprowlerMusic
29-06-2011, 08:45 PM
I've found that when dealing with the few people like that, its best to just block them from your posts.

I never post anything important to other people so I simply put a block from seeing post or religious views area for a few family members when they came onto Facebook, like my aunts that I rarely talk to but are extremely religious and often posting religious quotes but I don't care to try and debate them which I do with some others. Took me a bit to realize I could do that at first but it's in the privacy settings under custom settings.
29-06-2011, 09:21 PM
(29-06-2011 04:45 PM)monkeyshine89 Wrote:  I think my friends/family list is around 75% Religious (various religions) and about 25% ambivalent/agnostic/atheist. Of those 75% religious, about 60-70% do not follow my posts, are indifferent to atheists, or have an open mind themselves. 40-30% of my religious friends openly disagree with my posts, feel "offended", or otherwise upset at my face book page.

Unfortunately those 20% of my face book "friends" are actually my family members, whom I care for very much (Including my grandmother, who I stayed with during both her chemotherapy for breast cancer and her open heart surgery for a failing heart valve, so I'm very close to her)...

She doesn't even know I'm not Christian.

If she's one that can't accept you as an atheist, then best keep it quiet around her. If she reads your FB pg, then you may want to be selective about what you post there.

You could start a new pg from a new email address, then tell only selective friends about it. That should be a sufficient buffer.

Clyde Lee made a good point. I saw it after I posted. I forgot about that one since I don't use FB anymore.

Oxymoron: "Religious teaching"
"Simple common sense goes out the window when religion comes in through the door." Me (Blasphemy Fan )
29-06-2011, 09:27 PM
Actually, this could be a good use for Google's new "circles" in their new social networking site Google+ being released soon.

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing". "But," says man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It proves you exist and so therefore you don't. QED." "Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.
-DA
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes oliethefolie's post