Ugh... facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-06-2011, 05:00 PM
RE: Ugh... facebook
What the hell is google +?????? I have heard nothing of this.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-06-2011, 06:54 PM
(30-06-2011 10:55 AM)monkeyshine89 Wrote:  
(30-06-2011 12:44 AM)LarryT Wrote:  
(29-06-2011 10:45 PM)Arkamond Wrote:  Well, in the words of Richard Dawkings "We Need to stop being so damn polite"

Dr. Richard Dawkings is
brilliant biologist,
esteemed scientist,
icon and roll model for the pursuit of facts and knowledge.
and i would be very proud and honored to meet this man in person.

indeed, i have been following his career for over a decade now. a true visionary within his field. however,

he isn't an anthropologist,
he isn't an ethnographer,
he isn't a historian,
he isn't a physiologist,
he isn't a sociologist,
he isn't a political scientist,

and he isn't invited to my bbq because he would make my mum cry.

being one raised within a christian culture, how DARE i disrespect, much less attack, my beloved family and my dear and true friends!
what a wretched, and lonely, life i would lead if i dismissed the entirety of a person who desired and/or would benefit themselves from my leading a successful life JUST because of some differences in worldview. how narrow would my scope of the world be if i denied myself the stories of the triumphs and troubles of those older than myself? just thinking about how many individual days people 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, even 70 years older than myself, have seen and lived thru causes, within me, respect. why would i inflict the VAST pain of real/regular life upon myself when there ARE those that WANT to help?

i use the words of & within their worldview to help bridge communication barriers to enable them to impart the help they wish to bestow. how vain, self-centered, narcissistic, arrogant, bone-beaded, and just plain stupid would i be if i thought i were more than... (in the words of Tim Minchin in Storm)
"I am a tiny, insignificant, ignorant lump of carbon.
I have one life, and it is short
And unimportant…"

...and, as this has turned into somewhat of a 'confession', i'll go ahead and end with this:

"Fuck I love boobs though, I just really love them
Fuck I love boobs though, I just wanna rub them
They're just so jooby, they make me feel groovy
I would rather watch boobs than a movie
Be doop be doo. I just really like boobs."

be well.

I'm really not sure where you are going with this... we shouldn't state our opinions to our family members because they might "cry"?

I think people, all people, need to a thin line between honesty and ass hole-ness.

I think I will continue posting things that I believe will make people think. Out of politeness to my sensitive, ill, or elderly family members I will hide the more "thought provoking" and "Tell it like it is posts"... simply because I love them and I don't want to hurt their feelings.

Everyone else is directed to the defriend user link if they find my stuff offensive... this world is full of opinions, it's time they started getting used to them.

I absolutely agree with monkeyshine.

We should be proudly atheist and not mollycoddle our loved ones. We should show them enough respect to be honest with them. It is not "vain, self-centered, narcissistic, arrogant, bone-beaded, and just plain stupid" to be real with people.

There are exceptions however. For example if my devoutly religious grandparent is on their deathbed and asks me to pray for them, I wouldn't dream of upsetting them with my views.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-06-2011, 08:47 PM
Just as a bit of advice, when you get a concerned letter from a family member it generally means they were caught off guard. It probably isn't as big of a deal as you think it is. Continue posting your own thoughts as long as you're not frothing at the mouth =p She will realize you're not really doing anything wrong. Sometimes we just overreact when we aren't expecting to see something.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Lilith Pride's post
01-07-2011, 03:24 AM
yes, i got side tracked. i apologize. i disagree with the usefulness of using Dr. Dawking's confrontational style with family. you've already shown concern and respect for your aunt. again, i apologize. you've asked for 'how', i'll stay within that.

i think Lilith Pride nailed it on the head. people who love you will forgive minor social infractions if they see your still moving forward with your life.

Quote:I'm really not sure where you are going with this... we shouldn't state our opinions to our family members because they might "cry"?
sort of, but let me rephrase this into a 'how' relating to fb- one shouldn't state opinions in manor !designed! to offend, anger, or embarrass those whom we love. as to that last one, there is a setting that only your 'friends' will see a post and not 'friends of friends'. the way it's set up, those who care about you more are more likely to stop scrolling and read your post. commenting or not, they read what you say. the analogy would be, "would i say this (or say it this way) if i were standing at the head of a family reunion dinner table?"

there are other options too. like: removing the more sensitive family members from your list, feigning ignorance, and blaming it on 'the weirdness of these here interwebs'. and continue speaking with them thru other means: in person, phone, regular email.

Quote:I think people, all people, need to a thin line between honesty and ass hole-ness.
would you explain your meaning here? i fail to see the correlation between the 'content' of an expression and 'how' one expresses it.

be well.
01-07-2011, 11:06 AM
(30-06-2011 05:00 PM)lucradis Wrote:  What the hell is google +?????? I have heard nothing of this.

http://www.google.com/+/learnmore/
A social networking project Google is working on.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MindprowlerMusic
01-07-2011, 04:23 PM
LarryT

The thing is I really haven't posted anything derogatory or really upsetting. I have posted things that are... true.

However, I realize that I have sensitive family members that may be effected mentally or physically because of my supposed lack of religion. I honestly believe my grandmother's health would decline if she honestly saw my true beliefs.

I am now realizing that facebook is absolutely ridiculous as far as sharing your posts with specific people, I read up on google circle and it seems really cool.

Also, what I mean when there is a fine line between asshole-ness and honesty is that you can get your point across without being rude, like evid3nc3's you tube posts. Will some people still find it offensive, yes, because they don't agree with it, and it's those people that I will kindly direct to the "defriend" link.

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]
02-07-2011, 05:19 PM

I don't have my family or personal friends as FB friends. I'm the only Atheist in my family.
At my age ( 62 ) I decided my FB page is mine and I wanted friends with like interests.
I started my page during the Atheist coming out campaign so all my FB friends are Atheist.
I don't want to cause problems with my family. It's my page I'll do what I want with it.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes LittleOne's post
02-07-2011, 05:36 PM
Some people don't like to hear others religious views and politics. On something like Facebook, I keep such things to myself because I'd rather not have the drama over it.

[Image: websig.png]