Uh-Oh - You Can Bet Congress Will Shit Itself

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-02-2017, 06:16 AM (This post was last modified: 15-02-2017 06:21 AM by Deesse23.)
RE: Uh-Oh - You Can Bet Congress Will Shit Itself
(15-02-2017 06:06 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  
(15-02-2017 05:03 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  If you think the proportion and cost of american military in Germany is quite huge currently, then you should have seen how it looked like in the late 80s (when Germany was officially still an occupied country and the american military confiscated/occupied woods and fields for military maneuvers at will, just like the red army on the other side). I was raised near the US army HQ Europe in Heidelberg where american army barracks were all over the place (in many former wehrmacht installations) and where they had yards full of equipment. Americans and their stuff were everywhere.

I clearly remember when Bush the elder denied any possible invation of Iraq, while in the local yards artillery pieces and Abrams tanks were piled up in desert camo and while Apache copters were piled up at the local heli bases too. Laugh out load

Nowadays those barracks harbour students or Syrians for example.

I spent a couple of years in Pforzheim as part of the American military in Germany in the early 80's, Deesse. I was a radar mechanic on a Nike Hercules site. We used to practice dropping a nuke on the bridge in Heidelberg to keep the Russians from crossing the Neckar.

Good thing you werent particularly trigger happy. Thumbsup Tongue

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-02-2017, 06:29 AM
Heidelberg is a beautiful old city. I drank more than a few beers in the square in old town.

I always thought it was criminal that the German government was willing to have it melted as part of a defensive strategy.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
15-02-2017, 07:17 AM
Just out of interest, why would you nuke a bridge as opposed to conventionally blowing it up? I thought nukes were a last resort sort of thing?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
15-02-2017, 07:46 AM
(15-02-2017 07:17 AM)morondog Wrote:  Just out of interest, why would you nuke a bridge as opposed to conventionally blowing it up? I thought nukes were a last resort sort of thing?

Heidelberg has more than one bridge, So, nuking HD (with a tactical nuke) would actually be more efficient than blowing each bridge up.

[Image: Heidelberg_corr.jpg]
[Image: Altstadt_Heidelberg.jpg]

However the Neckar is a rather small river, and it runs east-west at HD, so you could stop eskimos in their tracks rather than the reds Tongue

[Image: 4.png]

Ok, now back on topic Big Grin

15-02-2017, 08:45 AM
(15-02-2017 07:46 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(15-02-2017 07:17 AM)morondog Wrote:  Just out of interest, why would you nuke a bridge as opposed to conventionally blowing it up? I thought nukes were a last resort sort of thing?

Heidelberg has more than one bridge, So, nuking HD (with a tactical nuke) would actually be more efficient than blowing each bridge up.

I still don't get it. Save time and effort by nuking everything??? Are there seriously not enough explosives to take out a few more bridges? I mean if you know the Russians are coming you could rig the explosives beforehand anyway...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
15-02-2017, 09:48 AM
(15-02-2017 08:45 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(15-02-2017 07:46 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Heidelberg has more than one bridge, So, nuking HD (with a tactical nuke) would actually be more efficient than blowing each bridge up.

I still don't get it. Save time and effort by nuking everything??? Are there seriously not enough explosives to take out a few more bridges? I mean if you know the Russians are coming you could rig the explosives beforehand anyway...

In that particular scenario the Russians were supposed to already be there crossing the river. So technically we were nuking the Russians not the bridge. The bridge was just our predesignated aiming point.

These days I can't tell you if we were supposed to be using the 2 or 20 kiloton variant of the W31 warhead the Nike Hercs were armed with, but we had both available. A 20 KT yield would be 33% larger than the bomb dropped on Hiroshima, and 5% smaller than the one dropped on Nagasaki.

In the 60's the US stockpiled about 300 W31 bombs for use as atomic demolition munitions. These weapons would have been intended for use blowing up bridges and what not. Most of those were probably the 2 KT yield variant, but a few of them could have been 20 KT.

15-02-2017, 11:44 AM
20kT on Heidelbergs "old bridge"

15-02-2017, 02:05 PM
(15-02-2017 11:44 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  20kT on Heidelbergs "old bridge"

The good news is that if I was sitting at home it would take a 200 kT airburst over the Missile Defense Agency headquarters down the road here on Redstone to cook me.

The bad news is the Russians like to measure their yields in megatons.

[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
15-02-2017, 02:26 PM
(15-02-2017 05:03 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  I clearly remember when Bush the elder denied any possible invation of Iraq, while in the local yards artillery pieces and Abrams tanks were piled up in desert camo and while Apache copters were piled up at the local heli bases too. Laugh out load

When did Bush deny that we'd be fighting the Iraqis? His proclamations that if they didn't leave by 15 Jan they were up Shit Creek were all over CNN, Spanish news, etc.
15-02-2017, 02:33 PM
(15-02-2017 02:26 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(15-02-2017 05:03 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  I clearly remember when Bush the elder denied any possible invation of Iraq, while in the local yards artillery pieces and Abrams tanks were piled up in desert camo and while Apache copters were piled up at the local heli bases too. Laugh out load

When did Bush deny that we'd be fighting the Iraqis? His proclamations that if they didn't leave by 15 Jan they were up Shit Creek were all over CNN, Spanish news, etc.

Its too long ago, so i cant tell you exactly what happend when exactly. What i remember vividly is that we saw all that armor in desert camo, when on TV you couldnt hear anyone talking about a soon-to-be engagement with Iraq.