Uh oh . . . we'd better get busy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-03-2017, 03:42 PM
Uh oh . . . we'd better get busy
Is atheism dying out? Study finds religious people reproduce MORE due to their lack of belief in contraception

The full study:
The Future of Secularism: a Biologically Informed Theory Supplemented with Cross-Cultural Evidence

From the conclusion:

Our research findings, as well as findings from other studies, show that fertility is positively correlated with religiosity even within major religious groupings. Other studies have shown that fertility is inversely correlated with intelligence. When combined , these associations suggest that religiosity is likely to increase and intelligence will probably decrease as the current century unfolds.

Comments?

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Dr H's post
15-03-2017, 03:49 PM
RE: Uh oh . . . we'd better get busy
My husband brought this up a couple days ago as a half-joke. He realized most of the atheists we know (including ourselves) wouldn't dream to have children and most got themselves sterilized like ASAP. XD Meanwhile everyone that we've known in our lives who were hyper-religious had about 5 kids each (damn, right?). It also doesn't help that all those parents we know are all illiterate... :/

But on the opposite side of the coin if one were to correlate intelligence with atheism you'd have to take into account that most atheists are atheist because they stopped being religious at some point in their own personal lives. Their previous beliefs were probably that of their parents.
[+] 2 users Like Larai19's post
15-03-2017, 04:31 PM
Yup, I was raised Catholic and reasoned out of it alone. But my three sons are atheists. The eldest married a gal who can't have children, the other two are as yet unmarried. Who they'll spawn with is anyone's guess.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
15-03-2017, 04:41 PM
(15-03-2017 03:42 PM)Dr H Wrote:  Is atheism dying out? Study finds religious people reproduce MORE due to their lack of belief in contraception

Idk. Does their lack of belief in vaccinations for their newborns cancel that out? Tongue

[+] 2 users Like TheGulegon's post
15-03-2017, 04:42 PM
(15-03-2017 03:42 PM)Dr H Wrote:  ... fertility is positively correlated with religiosity even within major religious groupings. Other studies have shown that fertility is inversely correlated with intelligence.

Comments?
OTOH, is seems like the religious love wars, especially the ones they can claim are "holy wars" where God is on their side. They seem to pit themselves against each other a lot, so their respective gods must be egging them on. They need lots of recruits to fill the ranks - and low intelligence is probably a plus in this case.

http://www.alternet.org/story/144818/jes...it_so_much

I think the real question is : "How do the rest of us stay out of their way and not let ourselves and the earth be destroyed while they kill each other off?"

I’ll be a story in your head, but that’s okay, because we’re all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh? Because it was, you know. It was the best.
The Doctor
[+] 2 users Like Rockblossom's post
15-03-2017, 05:15 PM
I was raised Catholic, too, but it never really "took".
My brother, however, continues to be very active in the church.

Still, its a good point that the study doesn't really take well into account things like "mid-life conversions". That's a topic worthy of some research in itself. I know a lot of people who say they were believers and became atheists at some point. I used to make that claim myself. But after a lot of soul-searching I finally came to the conclusion several years ago that I hadn't actually "become" anything. I had been an atheist all my life, and only came to acknowledge my atheism in my teens. It is thanks to the religion-steeped culture in which I was embedded that I was convinced for a long time that I had somehow moved from believer to non-believer, but really I had been a non-believer all along.

I have no idea how common my situation is, and haven't really seen any serious studies on this. I have certainly met people who assert they were atheists from birth, but most of them also happened to have parents who were, themselves, atheists. I think it's still something of an open question as to how much of anyone's religious philosophies as an adult came directly from their parents.

Almost, I'm leaning towards the idea that propensity for belief is something hard-wired into the brain; you either have it, or you don't. But that's just speculation on my part; I've no hard data to support it, at this time.

--
Dr H

[+] 2 users Like Dr H's post
15-03-2017, 05:17 PM
(15-03-2017 04:41 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Idk. Does their lack of belief in vaccinations for their newborns cancel that out? Tongue
Another good point.

Although I suspect that depends on religious sect. Most Catholics, for example, seem to have no problem with vaccinations.
When I was a kid, I was used as a pin-cushion. Smile

--
Dr H

[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
15-03-2017, 05:27 PM
(15-03-2017 04:42 PM)Rockblossom Wrote:  OTOH, is seems like the religious love wars, especially the ones they can claim are "holy wars" where God is on their side. They seem to pit themselves against each other a lot, so their respective gods must be egging them on. They need lots of recruits to fill the ranks - and low intelligence is probably a plus in this case.
Heh.

Quote:http://www.alternet.org/story/144818/jes...it_so_much

I think the real question is : "How do the rest of us stay out of their way and not let ourselves and the earth be destroyed while they kill each other off?"
That is a problem. In this regard, being an atheist is a bit like being an anarchist.

For a long time anarchists have been the political scapegoats of both the right and the left. It's always convenient to characterize your political opponents as 'wild-eyed, nihilistic, bomb-throwing, Boris Badenov-type anarchists' -- and if a few real anarchists happen to get caught up in the ensuing pogroms, no big deal.

So it is, I'm afraid, with atheists and religious violence. There is no generally recognized religious neutrality if, say, a bunch of Christians and a bunch of Muslims decide to light into each other with homicidal intent -- either side will be happy to dispatch an atheist. (And both groups have.)
It's that old "if ya ain't with us, then yer agin us!" mentality. And religion is big on "old mentality".

--
Dr H

[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
15-03-2017, 05:44 PM
(15-03-2017 03:42 PM)Dr H Wrote:  From the conclusion:

Our research findings, as well as findings from other studies, show that fertility is positively correlated with religiosity even within major religious groupings. Other studies have shown that fertility is inversely correlated with intelligence. When combined , these associations suggest that religiosity is likely to increase and intelligence will probably decrease as the current century unfolds.

Comments?

I don't think this is a problem in China. Sleepy
15-03-2017, 07:50 PM
https://www.edge.org/response-detail/23788