Uh oh . . . we'd better get busy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-03-2017, 08:11 PM
RE: Uh oh . . . we'd better get busy
I am on another forum that focuses on moms. So people typically list their children's names/ages.
There is a large homeschooling section and I check it out from time to time. Every person on that section has at least 4 kids, typically 5, and one even has 8. And there are lots of posters in that section.

I have actually worried about this myself.

A few things I learned in that section:

Their kids pledge to the christian flag. WTF is that, you ask?
[Image: pledge-christian-flag-MTC.jpg]

There are religious cheerleader and sports organization. Because regular sports and mixing with the heathens is unacceptable.

Some of the curriculum has fun facts like this:

In Classical Conversations, young students prepare for these big conversations by learning the facts of history, math, Latin, geography, science, and English grammar. These academic subjects in and of themselves are not Christian subjects. However, the simple act of discussing how these facts point to a Creator can lay the foundation for a biblical worldview. With young children, this can be as simple as reminding them that 13 x 2 always equals 26 precisely because God created an orderly universe that is governed by certain rules. Seeing tiny Israel on a map can lead us into a conversation about God’s amazing plans for mankind. When children study the human digestive system, they can discuss how they are fearfully and wonderfully made.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-03-2017, 08:13 PM
(15-03-2017 03:42 PM)Dr H Wrote:  From the conclusion:
Our research findings, as well as findings from other studies, show that fertility is positively correlated with religiosity even within major religious groupings. Other studies have shown that fertility is inversely correlated with intelligence. When combined , these associations suggest that religiosity is likely to increase and intelligence will probably decrease as the current century unfolds.

Comments?

Reminds me of two brothers I know. One of them is a scientist whose team made a breakthrough in the field of laser optic crystals. He lives together with his girlfriend of 30 years and they have one child.
The other brother has spent most of his life bouncing from one menial job to the next. (It's not bad to have a menial job, as long as you can keep it for more than a year at at time.)
Twelve kids, between four churchly wedded wives and one girlfriend. At the moment he has found the right one, again. So that litter may continue to grow.

All work and no play makes science better and the future generations dumber. Bigger guns and smaller brains. Oh dear.

"Old men make old words holy. - A fool may scrawl on a slate and if no one has the wit to wipe it clean for a thousand years the scrawl becomes the wisdom of ages."

Honorous J. Ancrath
15-03-2017, 08:14 PM
(15-03-2017 05:15 PM)Dr H Wrote:  Almost, I'm leaning towards the idea that propensity for belief is something hard-wired into the brain; you either have it, or you don't. But that's just speculation on my part; I've no hard data to support it, at this time.

I read a theory about a difference between wolves and dogs. (No idea if it's true.)

It says a part of the dog brain is stunted, compared to its wild cousin. Not in an area that necessarily makes it dumber. For one, we train dogs to lead our blind, so it's not a question of intelligence.

The result of it is they don't develop territorial behavior or the need for independence. They live their whole lives locked in houses eating out of bowls without going crazy, because that part of their brain has (de)evolved to not progress beyond what would be 10-12 years old for humans.
Like you I don't have data. Still, a similar difference might exists within our species.

I really don't mean this to be as insulting as it must sound, and it's not a declaration that atheists are perfect. Christians are probably right about at least one thing;no one is perfect. I think some religious people have a distinct flaw. The rest of us simply have others.
As children we all believe things, which, in a perfect world we would grow out of over time.

For example:
1. We will live for ever.
2. Magic is real.
3. Right and wrong is decided by other people.
4. Black/white thinking.
5. If you say you're really sorry and mean it, you won't get into trouble.
6. Our parents are gods.
7. Life is fair.
8. We are the center-pieces of existence.
9. There is a monster hiding in the under the bed.
10. The world owes us happiness.
etc.

But in this world - where a species of apes had their neurological activity altered over a few thousand generations of random mutations - there are adults whom never let go of certain notions.
Why wouldn't there be?

"Old men make old words holy. - A fool may scrawl on a slate and if no one has the wit to wipe it clean for a thousand years the scrawl becomes the wisdom of ages."

Honorous J. Ancrath
16-03-2017, 12:37 AM
Fact that Europe is largely atheist shows that reproduction ain't all the story. I think education goes a long way. Fix your education system. Teach proper science, history and all the rest throughout school. Easier said than done, but it can be done.

You will always have some religious nuts, but large numbers remain religious IMO simply because they're never exposed to any alternative.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 6 users Like morondog's post
16-03-2017, 12:45 AM
Yeah, being raised religious doesn't mean they will stay religious. I hope that we are over that hump, that the "cat is out the bag" and that even at an early age, it will be harder for indoctrination to stick. The Internet is an instant antidote, even with casual use. At the very least it sows seeds of doubt. Insular environments, that religions thrive on, are harder to maintain. We also have the greatest level of scientific understanding ever, and it's at our fingertips.

So hopefully this will be enough of a factor to counteract any "quiverfull" effect. I feel it's inevitable that "free" countries will tend towards irreligion. Religion is too stupid to hold up to any sort of scrutiny. Christianity has to keep diluting itself in order to appear moral and relevant.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
16-03-2017, 11:03 AM
They need to have more kids in hopes that at least one will be gullible enough to believe.

These people don't have enough faith in god and his divine plan of atheism everywhere, so they are going straight to hell for sure.

Big Grin

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
16-03-2017, 11:14 AM (This post was last modified: 16-03-2017 11:17 AM by houseofcantor.)
(15-03-2017 03:42 PM)Dr H Wrote:  Is atheism dying out? Study finds religious people reproduce MORE due to their lack of belief in contraception

The full study:
The Future of Secularism: a Biologically Informed Theory Supplemented with Cross-Cultural Evidence

From the conclusion:

Our research findings, as well as findings from other studies, show that fertility is positively correlated with religiosity even within major religious groupings. Other studies have shown that fertility is inversely correlated with intelligence. When combined , these associations suggest that religiosity is likely to increase and intelligence will probably decrease as the current century unfolds.

Comments?

I'm doing my part with the creation of an atheistic religion. Angel

(15-03-2017 08:14 PM)M. Linoge Wrote:  
(15-03-2017 05:15 PM)Dr H Wrote:  Almost, I'm leaning towards the idea that propensity for belief is something hard-wired into the brain; you either have it, or you don't. But that's just speculation on my part; I've no hard data to support it, at this time.

I read a theory about a difference between wolves and dogs. (No idea if it's true.)

Well, I can comment that de-evolution is not a thing. Smartass

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-03-2017, 12:56 PM
(15-03-2017 05:44 PM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  I don't think this is a problem in China. Sleepy
Heh.

If nothing else, it's an illustration of the directionlessness of evolution.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
16-03-2017, 12:58 PM
Hot chicks please PM me Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
16-03-2017, 01:13 PM
(15-03-2017 07:50 PM)ImFred Wrote:  https://www.edge.org/response-detail/23788
Very discouraging.

Not long ago I had an argument with a Ph.D. chemist over this point:

"According to my colleagues from other countries, the American educational system has a reputation as unimpressive up through the university level, but is regarded as the top of the heap when it comes to training at the highest level—with people around the world desperate to come to the United States to get the best Ph.D training on the planet."

He used our graduate school reputation to argue downwards that our entire educational system was the best in the world. But it isn't true, and it isn't regarded as such in many places outside the US. Basically, we're ready, willing, and able to train the best and brightest from around the world, but we're not very committed to nurturing our own crop of "best and brightest".

The US is one of the most, if not the most, religious of the industrialized countries on the planet. I find the correlation disturbing.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 2 users Like Dr H's post