Uh oh . . . we'd better get busy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-03-2017, 01:25 PM
RE: Uh oh . . . we'd better get busy
(15-03-2017 08:11 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  Their kids pledge to the christian flag. WTF is that, you ask?

Fascinating. Among some conservatives I know that would be considered un-American.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-03-2017, 01:29 PM
(16-03-2017 12:37 AM)morondog Wrote:  You will always have some religious nuts, but large numbers remain religious IMO simply because they're never exposed to any alternative.

I think it is in the interest of the government -- and I mean the on-going status quo infrastructure of government, and not any particular political party -- to keep it that way. The government does not want a lot of critical thinking going on among the populace. Religious belief does not encourage critical thinking; indeed, it is often openly antithetical to such.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
16-03-2017, 02:01 PM
I'm still waiting Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
16-03-2017, 02:29 PM
(16-03-2017 01:13 PM)Dr H Wrote:  Not long ago I had an argument with a Ph.D. chemist over this point:

"According to my colleagues from other countries, the American educational system has a reputation as unimpressive up through the university level, but is regarded as the top of the heap when it comes to training at the highest level—with people around the world desperate to come to the United States to get the best Ph.D training on the planet."

He used our graduate school reputation to argue downwards that our entire educational system was the best in the world. But it isn't true, and it isn't regarded as such in many places outside the US. Basically, we're ready, willing, and able to train the best and brightest from around the world, but we're not very committed to nurturing our own crop of "best and brightest"...

The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) tracks new college degrees in 40 of the world's most advanced countries.

The ranking is based on the percentage of science, technology, engineering, or math (STEM) degrees awarded per capita so that it's a fair comparison between countries with different populations.

The US doesn't make the top ten; in fact the US was near the bottom of the list in 39th place, with only 16% STEM degrees in 2012.

The top 10 in descending order:

• South Korea
• Germany
• Sweden
• Finland
• France
• Greece
• Estonia
• Mexico
• Austria
• Portugal

Australia at 34th place was ahead of the US, and knowing what a sorry state Aussie tertiary education is in, that in itself is a worry for Americans.

OECD Science, Technology and Industry Scoreboard 2015

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post