Ukraine: The Russians are coming.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-03-2014, 02:33 PM
RE: Ukraine: The Russians are coming.
This is very interesting and fun to watch, 1000 years of European border shiftings.

http://blogs.marketwatch.com/themargin/2...shiftings/

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
18-03-2014, 02:57 PM
(18-03-2014 02:33 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  This is very interesting and fun to watch, 1000 years of European border shiftings.

That was cool.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
18-03-2014, 03:19 PM
(18-03-2014 02:57 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(18-03-2014 02:33 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  This is very interesting and fun to watch, 1000 years of European border shiftings.

That was cool.

It's got serious problems, though... The displayed year was desynchronized from the animation by as many as 10 or 20 years for a lot of it!

... this is my signature!
18-03-2014, 03:21 PM
(18-03-2014 03:19 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(18-03-2014 02:57 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  That was cool.

It's got serious problems, though... The displayed year was desynchronized from the animation by as many as 10 or 20 years for a lot of it!

The idea is still pretty cool though, we just need an accurate one!

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
18-03-2014, 03:24 PM
Has anyone ever seen a Russian car that works?

A Russian car that can drive faster than a stray dog? That has an engine that starts at the first turn of the key? That has functioning airbags?

Did anyone here ever have the amusement of laughting at that ridicilous scrapheap on wheels called a "Lada" which is even worse than that crap the Brits produced in the 1970s?

Once the Russians realise that there will be no more Volkswagens and German machines to buy with economic sanctions - they will row back and be less aggressive.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
[+] 1 user Likes The Germans are coming's post
18-03-2014, 03:30 PM
(18-03-2014 03:24 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  Has anyone ever seen a Russian car that works?

A Russian car that can drive faster than a stray dog? That has an engine that starts at the first turn of the key? That has functioning airbags?

Did anyone here ever have the amusement of laughting at that ridicilous scrapheap on wheels called a "Lada" which is even worse than that crap the Brits produced in the 1970s?

Dodgy

Yes, because it's totally still 1974 and that's a relevant comparison.

(18-03-2014 03:24 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  Once the Russians realise that there will be no more Volkswagens and German machines to buy with economic sanctions - they will row back and be less aggressive.

That would require Germany to have passed sanctions, now, wouldn't it?

18-03-2014, 04:30 PM
(18-03-2014 03:30 PM)cjlr Wrote:  That would require Germany to have passed sanctions, now, wouldn't it?

You should take some time to read through some economic statistics here and then. They are really very revealing in terms of geopolitics.

Just to give you 2 examples.

Russia depends on natural resources exports for 53% of it`s annual state income.

Without machines and chemicals bought in Germany - Russia could not even produce and export gas.

Yes. If one knows the economics this is not really hard to figure and see the conclusion: If Russia is sanctioned by the EU - they face an economic and financial meltdown.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
18-03-2014, 04:54 PM
(18-03-2014 04:30 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  Yes. If one knows the economics this is not really hard to figure and see the conclusion: If Russia is sanctioned by the EU - they face an economic and financial meltdown.

To quote the Spartans:

If.

[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
18-03-2014, 05:10 PM
Cljr

I can't properly respond to your last post until I am at a laptop, but two things i want to address.

First, international law is not like domestic laws. It's not just an issue of enforcement. A country either had to agree to be bound by treaty's and global conventions, or it has to be forced to. If a country can declare itself exempt with impunity, then, as a practical matter, the law does not exist for that country. You may say this is still an enforcement issue, but i think it runs deeper than that. If the US claims an international law does not apply to it, that is the same as them saying it does not exist. They can't then seek to impose it on Russia. There is a legal concept called estoppel, and the US would be estopped from arguing the law now exists. I'm simplifying a complicated issue, i realize, but that is my basic point.

My 2nd quick point is on your "whose rhetoric?" Comment. The Ukrainians are now basically threatening war. I don't think it is an idle threat. So, now what do we do? Do you really believe Putin will just cave if we pass sanctions that strangle his economy? I don't. And, what do you think he will do if the Ukrainians start shooting at his troops?

Are we willing to go to war over Ukraine? Of we employ sanctions, what it's the exit strategy of it then gets uglier? I have no idea but i hope someone in power is thinking about it.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
21-03-2014, 06:10 AM
More Natalia pictures.

[Image: 635310163458119349.jpg]

[Image: 635310178404349601.jpg]

[Image: 635310155175284801.jpg]

Want something? Then do something.