Ukraine: The Russians are coming.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2014, 05:22 AM
RE: Ukraine: The Russians are coming.
(04-03-2014 05:19 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(04-03-2014 05:00 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  I'm not exactly up on British politics.

Did they invade Ireland again?

Scotland is voting on whether it should be independent this year. There is already a devolved government led by a solely Scottish party who won in a political system designed to stop an overall winner. The British government in London has been losing political ties to Scotland for a long time now and there are many economic, political and military resources that would be lost if there was a yes vote.

Military resources include locations for storing Britain's nuclear deterrent and land for military training, strategic access to the Shetland islands. Not to mention that the British army includes a high ratio of Scots.

Economic resources include oil and whisky exports, renewable energies and agriculture.

Political resources include putting at risk a seat on the UN security council and British politicians will have less stature on the world stage.

They are not having a good time of it, are they?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2014, 09:35 AM
(04-03-2014 01:43 AM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  Blaming the remnants of the USSR after 23 years of its collapse and multiple democratic presidential power handovers is like blaming the parents at the age of 23.

The median age in Russia is quite a bit higher than 23. Most of the population lived under the USSR. While it's true Putin was democratically elected, he also managed to repeal the 2 term law, so he could keep on running. He's former KGB, and those he's put into power are also members of the former USSR power elite.

He's resurrected political imprisonment (for example, the widely publicized Pussy Riot case), dozens of critical journalists have been mysteriously murdered since he first rose to power, and international observers have declared wide spread election fraud.

He's not going to voluntarily relinquish power. He's a life long criminal thug.

Quote:PS. The left are government-tit-suckers, not government over-throwers, or at least in recent year it's been like so.

Maybe, but the USSR was the ultimate leftist system, and those who had power in those days mostly have it back again.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
04-03-2014, 01:55 PM
(04-03-2014 01:43 AM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  Blaming the remnants of the USSR after 23 years of its collapse and multiple democratic presidential power handovers is like blaming the parents at the age of 23.

I totally disagree. These things take many generations to recover from. I work a lot in Eastern Europe and the scars of the old system are very apparent.

In Cambodia the Khmer Rouge killed every educated person. The country is still reeling economically.

In the US, the South was completely destroyed during the Civil War. 100 years later they were still a backwards, racist place and their economy hadn't recovered.

East Germany recovered quickly only because West Germany brought them in. But nobody took in the USSR. For generations the people lived in fear of a tyrannical government. Hard work was punished, and the only way to get ahead was to align yourself with the corrupt political elite. Even in 100 years they will still be behind where they would have been without that episode. My first trip to Russia as in the early 90's, and I saw first hand the way human life had no value, and the people still lived in constant fear of the government. I stayed with a friend at his apartment in Moscow. He knew the if a fire broke out, the last thing you would do is call the fire department. The firemen would whisk you out of the building and steal everything you had. They were afraid to even wash their cars because they knew if they looked like they had any money the traffic police would shake them down. Even today, my personal opinion, Russians still live in fear and have resigned themselves to the reality that they cannot dethrone the corrupt political elite.
04-03-2014, 08:33 PM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2014 08:54 PM by HU.Junyuan.)
Neglect all those trivial details, my friends.

Here are some important pieces of news (sorry that I am not going to provide the newslinks here, really bad international web connection here at my work place, search it please if you are interested), what do you think of them ?

[1] Russia is going to cut its privilege NG supply to Ukraine, starting from the coming April.

[2] The Internal Affairs Department of the Ukraine opposition government demands the voluntary turning in of weapons before May 22nd, in exchange for exemption from criminal responsibilities like plundering firearms from the police.

[3] 300 Ukraine army soldiers with no arms approached to the Belbek airbase on March 4th, which is currently occupied by the "Crimea local defense forces", singing songs and exclaiming "we are videotaping you !""Americans are on our side !" and demanded negotiation. They got a positive answer. There should be further news in the following days.

Want something? Then do something.
04-03-2014, 09:28 PM
(04-03-2014 05:19 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(04-03-2014 05:00 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  I'm not exactly up on British politics.

Did they invade Ireland again?

Scotland is voting on whether it should be independent this year. There is already a devolved government led by a solely Scottish party who won in a political system designed to stop an overall winner. The British government in London has been losing political ties to Scotland for a long time now and there are many economic, political and military resources that would be lost if there was a yes vote.

Military resources include a location for storing Britain's nuclear deterrent and land for military training, strategic access to the Shetland islands. Not to mention that the British army includes a high ratio of Scots.

Economic resources include oil and whisky exports, renewable energies and agriculture.

Political resources include putting at risk a seat on the UN security council and British politicians will have less stature on the world stage.

Random segue: I am actually a Scottish Lord (or Laird if you prefer).

Ok, that is all. Carry on.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
04-03-2014, 09:32 PM
Anybody else wish we hadn't banned I&I until he could get a good look at this thread?

Sorry! Carry on!

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
04-03-2014, 10:18 PM
(04-03-2014 09:28 PM)BnW Wrote:  Random segue: I am actually a Scottish Lord (or Laird if you prefer).

Yes, this is a castle, and we have many tapestries. But if you are a Scottish Lord, then I am Mickey Mouse!

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
[+] 1 user Likes toadaly's post
04-03-2014, 11:33 PM
(04-03-2014 09:32 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Anybody else wish we hadn't banned I&I until he could get a good look at this thread?

I miss that loveable shithead so much sometimes.

Tongue

... this is my signature!
05-03-2014, 02:33 AM
(04-03-2014 10:18 PM)toadaly Wrote:  
(04-03-2014 09:28 PM)BnW Wrote:  Random segue: I am actually a Scottish Lord (or Laird if you prefer).

Yes, this is a castle, and we have many tapestries. But if you are a Scottish Lord, then I am Mickey Mouse!

And I am Jerry, nice to meet you.

05-03-2014, 05:39 AM
Hey, here's some trivial detail. And BTW, is Nazi left wing or right wing ?

Russia slams Ukraine's UN envoy for publicly justifying Nazi collaborators
http://rt.com/news/russia-ukraine-justifying-nazi-840/