Ulcerative Colitis... a gift from God?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-11-2013, 12:37 PM
Ulcerative Colitis... a gift from God?
I dunno... Some people have some very strange ideas.

http://m.voices.yahoo.com/ulcerative-col...tml?cat=70

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-11-2013, 12:45 PM
RE: Ulcerative Colitis... a gift from God?
That seems like an incredibly flimsy reason for suffering. Suffering so that he can relate to other's suffering?

While I guess I understand where that line of thinking comes from, since it is true that you could relate better to someone's problems if you've had them yourselves, I suppose it begs the question from the opposite side of that situation:

"Healthy people are healthy so that... they can, I dunno, be happy and frolic with other *healthy people?"

"People are raped so that they can better identify with other rape victims?"

I dunno, I think I'll just keep putting change into the coffee can at the grocery store to help disabled veterans, as opposed to taking a 7.92 to the leg so I can better relate.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Jasozz's post
12-11-2013, 12:58 PM
God gifted me with a club foot at birth. I'm glad my parents had it fixed surgically rather than letting me suffer so I could relate to other crippled people.

As far as spiritual gifts go, "long suffering" kind of sucks.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
12-11-2013, 02:31 PM
Yeah, if God didn't make the world like this because it was "hijacked", yet he has the power to fix things, why doesn't he take it back? I've seen Christian revanchism in action, but this must be divine revanchism! God's world was taken from him and he needs to take it back!
12-11-2013, 03:07 PM
(12-11-2013 12:45 PM)Jasozz Wrote:  That seems like an incredibly flimsy reason for suffering. Suffering so that he can relate to other's suffering?

Jasozz,
That's an excellent point. Moreover, what about those born with, say, Down syndrome or anencephaly? How would they empathize with similar sufferers?

Doc
[+] 1 user Likes docskeptic's post
12-11-2013, 03:37 PM
(12-11-2013 03:07 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(12-11-2013 12:45 PM)Jasozz Wrote:  That seems like an incredibly flimsy reason for suffering. Suffering so that he can relate to other's suffering?

Jasozz,
That's an excellent point. Moreover, what about those born with, say, Down syndrome or anencephaly? How would they empathize with similar sufferers?

Doc

I wonder if a logical jump could be made straight from "lifetime diseases" or chronic diseases to death itself? It always blew my mind when certain people can look at the victims of a disaster and call it god's plan.

"God sure works in mysterious ways. It was God's plan for Joe Everyman to be crushed under the debris of his house and slowly starve to death before rescue crews could find him"

Encountered this exact situation (although stated a little more lovingly) while I was volunteering in the Moore, OK disaster this year.
12-11-2013, 05:39 PM
(12-11-2013 12:37 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  I dunno... Some people have some very strange ideas.

South Park rips on the book of Job which justifies somehow why God visits catastrophe on people. The heading on this post made me thing of this scene from South Park.

Quote:Sheila: Ah-ah-ah-I'm afraid Kyle can't ride any amusement park rides for over a year because of his horrible hemorrhoid.
Stan: Jesus.
Kyle: But it's okay, Stan, because I finally figured it out. You see, if someone like Cartman can get a million dollars and his own theme park, then there is no God. There's no God, dude.
Sheila: Kyle, don't say such things!
Kyle: Why? Why, Mom? Because if I do something bad will happen to me? Because if I do your God might not shower me with his blessings of infected hemorrhoids?
[+] 2 users Like BryanS's post
12-11-2013, 08:07 PM
(12-11-2013 05:39 PM)BryanS Wrote:  
(12-11-2013 12:37 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  I dunno... Some people have some very strange ideas.

South Park rips on the book of Job which justifies somehow why God visits catastrophe on people. The heading on this post made me thing of this scene from South Park.

Quote:Sheila: Ah-ah-ah-I'm afraid Kyle can't ride any amusement park rides for over a year because of his horrible hemorrhoid.
Stan: Jesus.
Kyle: But it's okay, Stan, because I finally figured it out. You see, if someone like Cartman can get a million dollars and his own theme park, then there is no God. There's no God, dude.
Sheila: Kyle, don't say such things!
Kyle: Why? Why, Mom? Because if I do something bad will happen to me? Because if I do your God might not shower me with his blessings of infected hemorrhoids?

Ah South Park... The ultimate source of wisdom in the universe.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user