Ultimate control

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-03-2015, 04:49 AM
RE: Ultimate control
Shadow, I think there are some flaws in your reasoning.

First, the nuke bombs in Japan in WWII are not an example to follow, they are an example to avoid. I don't understand why you think they would be a good solution.

Second, death sentences are not a good deterrent for crimes. Certain application of the law is a good deterrent. You should read "Dei delitti e delle pene" by Cesare Beccaria. It's a good treatise on Penology, and the applications and effects of punishments in a society.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-03-2015, 04:52 AM
(26-03-2015 04:49 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  Shadow, I think there are some flaws in your reasoning.

First, the nuke bombs in Japan in WWII are not an example to follow, they are an example to avoid. I don't understand why you think they would be a good solution.

Second, death sentences are not a good deterrent for crimes. Certain application of the law is a good deterrent. You should read "Dei delitti e delle pene" by Cesare Beccaria. It's a good treatise on Penology, and the applications and effects of punishments in a society.

While the death penalty isn't a good crime deterrent --- it certainly cuts down on repeat offenders....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
26-03-2015, 05:16 AM
Or on alleged criminals that are executed and later found to be innocent.

Angel

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
[+] 2 users Like The Polyglot Atheist's post
26-03-2015, 05:29 AM
(25-03-2015 01:42 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Suire, some of the bad eggs will have to be cracked and some of them wont want to get out knowing this, because they know they will just fuck up again because they "want" to keep murdering and raping and doing drugs.

I'm hearing that little Sesame Street jingle in my head right now about one of those things not being like the other.

This system is gamable as hell, and any sane person would just serve the rest of their sentence unless they have a life sentence. You're incentivizing letting the lifers out of prison while keeping non-violent offenders in.

(24-03-2015 07:11 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  12. Give all non life time prisoners in the United States an option. They can sign a contract that will immediately let them out of jail without the need of a parole officer! However, as a part of their contract they must sign with the government, their life is forfeit the moment they commit another crime that would put them in jail. If arrested and their name is ran through the computer, they are executed on the spot by officer or brought to a special area in the station or prisons where they are given an execution by firing squad no later than 24 hours after their arrest and assessment of their crime without trial or possibility of release. This also means that any further affiliation with any gangs they were a part of means they will be automatically arrested and executed.

You've explicitly stated that there is no trial or due process, which means that you don't have to prove guilt, but rather just suspect it. I'd expect a sharp rise in police killing any ex cons, no questions asked. They don't have to prove guilt, just enough to make an arrest. Hell, other people could assassinate people by simply getting them arrested. Want an ex-con dead? Hit yourself in the face and say they did it.
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post