Ultra-thin camera creates images without lenses

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-06-2017, 01:05 PM
Ultra-thin camera creates images without lenses
https://phys.org/news/2017-06-ultra-thin...enses.html

Quote:Traditional cameras—even those on the thinnest of cell phones—cannot be truly flat due to their optics: lenses that require a certain shape and size in order to function. At Caltech, engineers have developed a new camera design that replaces the lenses with an ultra-thin optical phased array (OPA). The OPA does computationally what lenses do using large pieces of glass: it manipulates incoming light to capture an image

Lenses have a curve that bends the path of incoming light and focuses it onto a piece of film or, in the case of digital cameras, an image sensor. The OPA has a large array of light receivers, each of which can individually add a tightly controlled time delay (or phase shift) to the light it receives, enabling the camera to selectively look in different directions and focus on different things.

"Here, like most other things in life, timing is everything. With our new system, you can selectively look in a desired direction and at a very small part of the picture in front of you at any given time, by controlling the timing with femto-second—quadrillionth of a second—precision," says Ali Hajimiri, Bren Professor of Electrical Engineering and Medical Engineering in the Division of Engineering and Applied Science at Caltech, and the principal investigator of a paper describing the new camera. The paper was presented at the Optical Society of America's (OSA) Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics (CLEO) and published online by the OSA in the OSA Technical Digest in March 2017.

And:

Quote:"The applications are endless," says graduate student Behrooz Abiri (MS '12), coauthor of the OSA paper. "Even in today's smartphones, the camera is the component that limits how thin your phone can get. Once scaled up, this technology can make lenses and thick cameras obsolete. It may even have implications for astronomy by enabling ultra-light, ultra-thin enormous flat telescopes on the ground or in space."

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like GenesisNemesis's post
28-06-2017, 08:58 PM
RE: Ultra-thin camera creates images without lenses
(25-06-2017 01:05 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  https://phys.org/news/2017-06-ultra-thin...enses.html

Quote:Traditional cameras—even those on the thinnest of cell phones—cannot be truly flat due to their optics: lenses that require a certain shape and size in order to function. At Caltech, engineers have developed a new camera design that replaces the lenses with an ultra-thin optical phased array (OPA). The OPA does computationally what lenses do using large pieces of glass: it manipulates incoming light to capture an image

Lenses have a curve that bends the path of incoming light and focuses it onto a piece of film or, in the case of digital cameras, an image sensor. The OPA has a large array of light receivers, each of which can individually add a tightly controlled time delay (or phase shift) to the light it receives, enabling the camera to selectively look in different directions and focus on different things.

"Here, like most other things in life, timing is everything. With our new system, you can selectively look in a desired direction and at a very small part of the picture in front of you at any given time, by controlling the timing with femto-second—quadrillionth of a second—precision," says Ali Hajimiri, Bren Professor of Electrical Engineering and Medical Engineering in the Division of Engineering and Applied Science at Caltech, and the principal investigator of a paper describing the new camera. The paper was presented at the Optical Society of America's (OSA) Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics (CLEO) and published online by the OSA in the OSA Technical Digest in March 2017.

And:

Quote:"The applications are endless," says graduate student Behrooz Abiri (MS '12), coauthor of the OSA paper. "Even in today's smartphones, the camera is the component that limits how thin your phone can get. Once scaled up, this technology can make lenses and thick cameras obsolete. It may even have implications for astronomy by enabling ultra-light, ultra-thin enormous flat telescopes on the ground or in space."

Hmm... my bro' the optical engineer may be out of a job.
Looks like they just kicked optics back to us electrical engineers. Wink

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
28-06-2017, 09:14 PM
It's been in the open literature for awhile.

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=ult...QQgQMIJDAA
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
29-06-2017, 07:16 PM
(28-06-2017 09:14 PM)Fireball Wrote:  It's been in the open literature for awhile.

I mostly deal with acoustics, myself, so I don't see a lot of the optical stuff unless bro' forwards it to me.
Gotta bug him about why he didn't tell me about this one. Smile

Cool stuff.

--
Dr H

29-06-2017, 07:53 PM
(29-06-2017 07:16 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(28-06-2017 09:14 PM)Fireball Wrote:  It's been in the open literature for awhile.

I mostly deal with acoustics, myself, so I don't see a lot of the optical stuff unless bro' forwards it to me.

Cool stuff.

I worked with low observables, antennas and EM propagation and scattering for about 10 years, with a year of plasma isotope separation thrown in for good measure.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
30-06-2017, 03:05 PM
(29-06-2017 07:53 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(29-06-2017 07:16 PM)Dr H Wrote:  I mostly deal with acoustics, myself, so I don't see a lot of the optical stuff unless bro' forwards it to me.

Cool stuff.

I worked with low observables, antennas and EM propagation and scattering for about 10 years, with a year of plasma isotope separation thrown in for good measure.

All right! Now I know where to go when I need to borrow a cup of plasma. Wink

--
Dr H

[+] 2 users Like Dr H's post
30-06-2017, 06:23 PM
(30-06-2017 03:05 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(29-06-2017 07:53 PM)Fireball Wrote:  I worked with low observables, antennas and EM propagation and scattering for about 10 years, with a year of plasma isotope separation thrown in for good measure.

All right! Now I know where to go when I need to borrow a cup of plasma. Wink

We ran at 10^-8 Torr. I'm thinking you don't want a cup of that! Laugh out load
05-07-2017, 03:34 PM
Heard back from bro', the optical engineer. His comment:

"Call me when they figure out the depth of field and at least standard resolution problems."

So I'm guessing he's not worried. Smile

--
Dr H

05-07-2017, 03:45 PM
So, does this mean the Apple Transporter will be out in a couple years ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
05-07-2017, 04:12 PM
(05-07-2017 03:45 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  So, does this mean the Apple Transporter will be out in a couple years ?

I'll settle for being able to order a pizza online, and have it come out of my 3D printer, hot.

--
Dr H

[+] 2 users Like Dr H's post