Um No

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-05-2015, 09:18 AM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2015 10:42 AM by jennybee.)
RE: Um No
(12-05-2015 08:55 AM)kristenkjordan Wrote:  Thoughts I Had While I Listened to This:

- Ugh. It's got a country sound to it. Already want to puke.
- Just when I thought I couldn't get anymore nauseous, that first verse already makes me want to punch a baby.
- "I'm about to rock your world?" Glad to know my primary purpose here is for man's pleasure.
- I hate how catchy this song is. Dodgy

Fuck. It's shit like this that set the feminist movement back by 50 years. I feel compelled to read the comments on this video but I'm afraid of what might rage inside of me. Consider

It is catchy and now it's stuck in my head No
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-05-2015, 09:21 AM
Um No
Drown it out with The Clash.
[+] 2 users Like Clockwork's post
12-05-2015, 09:32 AM
(12-05-2015 09:21 AM)Clockwork Wrote:  Drown it out with The Clash.

Ok I feel better now Yes

[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
12-05-2015, 09:45 AM
(12-05-2015 08:57 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(12-05-2015 07:56 AM)Cosmic Discourse Wrote:  The full music video doesn't make it any better. I caught wind of this a few months ago on YouTube (Philip DeFranco I think). It reminds me of how damaging our societal messaging is.

Yeah, it is damaging. This is the kind of thing that the church I used to belong to would have loved though.

For me, hearing her speak is more disturbing than the young ladies song. I try to adjust for time spent on earth and life experiences, though neither case is a promising one
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Cosmic Discourse's post
12-05-2015, 09:51 AM

While I was searching for the Clash on you tube--I also saw this and thought of you and your irrational fear of ventriloquist dummies Tongue

[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
12-05-2015, 10:47 AM
(12-05-2015 09:51 AM)jennybee Wrote:  

While I was searching for the Clash on you tube--I also saw this and thought of you and your irrational fear of ventriloquist dummies Tongue

That was much better than that dreadful song. Laugh out load
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
12-05-2015, 11:03 AM
The song lyrics are subpar and has some rather poor word choices - it's insulting to both men and women "somebody's gotta *make* him get dressed up" - wtf? Not looking to replace your mom. The "god" section aside (someone else nailed it with the oh great so I was made just to be a man's pleasure toy...or something to that effect) - I'm more interested in the interplay between men and women suggested in the song, by Candace Cameron, attraction, and healthy relationships.

Candace's words - that's how I was raised. I really don't know much else of functioning relationships. I do disagree with Candace in all big decisions should automatically default to the man - big decisions should always be a joint decision, and couples should always seek to compromise when there are differences of opinion - but then, what do I know? When I became more assertive, when I wanted an equal say and not let him have the final decision, when I tried to carve out my own own career path...my marriage failed.

My quick and dirty analysis of the song: (Edit: apparently this turned out to be a long post. Oops. Didn't realize it - I typed it on my phone)
I'm not attracted to a man that needs to be told what to do, nor are most men attracted by controlling women - the song has that wrong. Confident men with a strong sense of self are attractive. I mean, might as well castrate the guy, if you feel like you have to tell him to get his "butt" outta bed and tell him how to dress. That or you picked a really lazy sack of shit - sucks for you. Either way, nagging=relationship cyanide.

However, I *like* to put on a skirt and dress up - whether for my partner or to attract one. I don't mind *looking* like a guy's arm candy, so long as I *also* have his mutual respect. But then I'd also expect my partner to *want* to dress well for me - dress to impress, yeh? (Not saying a man has to wear a suit and tie when I say impress - a well cut pair of jeans and a fitted tee=yum, just practice proper hygiene, yo). Just as I like it when men open the door for me - chivalry is a turn on - don't expect a second date if you don't hold the door for me, it makes me think not only that "your mama didn't give you no raisin'" (i.e. you have no manners), but that you're inconsiderate. I also don't mind some of the other gender stereotypes such as I'll cook if the guy takes out the trash and mows the lawn. Guess I'm a bit more traditional in that sense.

Does make me wonder how much is instinctual and how much is cultural. Like the damsel in distress thing - "sir, can you be a doll and help me reach that box of rigatoni on the top shelf?" Girl_nails Flirty smile and eye contact, next thing you know "Hi I'm Kevin/Bob/whatever, mind if I call you sometime?" Consider

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 5 users Like Nurse's post
12-05-2015, 11:15 AM
(12-05-2015 09:51 AM)jennybee Wrote:  

I like those videos. I need to make a mask like that!
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
12-05-2015, 12:01 PM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2015 12:13 PM by jennybee.)
(12-05-2015 11:03 AM)Nurse Wrote:  The song lyrics are subpar and has some rather poor word choices - it's insulting to both men and women "somebody's gotta *make* him get dressed up" - wtf? Not looking to replace your mom. The "god" section aside (someone else nailed it with the oh great so I was made just to be a man's pleasure toy...or something to that effect) - I'm more interested in the interplay between men and women suggested in the song, by Candace Cameron, attraction, and healthy relationships.

Candace's words - that's how I was raised. I really don't know much else of functioning relationships. I do disagree with Candace in all big decisions should automatically default to the man - big decisions should always be a joint decision, and couples should always seek to compromise when there are differences of opinion - but then, what do I know? When I became more assertive, when I wanted an equal say and not let him have the final decision, when I tried to carve out my own own career path...my marriage failed.

My quick and dirty analysis of the song: (Edit: apparently this turned out to be a long post. Oops. Didn't realize it - I typed it on my phone)
I'm not attracted to a man that needs to be told what to do, nor are most men attracted by controlling women - the song has that wrong. Confident men with a strong sense of self are attractive. I mean, might as well castrate the guy, if you feel like you have to tell him to get his "butt" outta bed and tell him how to dress. That or you picked a really lazy sack of shit - sucks for you. Either way, nagging=relationship cyanide.

However, I *like* to put on a skirt and dress up - whether for my partner or to attract one. I don't mind *looking* like a guy's arm candy, so long as I *also* have his mutual respect. But then I'd also expect my partner to *want* to dress well for me - dress to impress, yeh? (Not saying a man has to wear a suit and tie when I say impress - a well cut pair of jeans and a fitted tee=yum, just practice proper hygiene, yo). Just as I like it when men open the door for me - chivalry is a turn on - don't expect a second date if you don't hold the door for me, it makes me think not only that "your mama didn't give you no raisin'" (i.e. you have no manners), but that you're inconsiderate. I also don't mind some of the other gender stereotypes such as I'll cook if the guy takes out the trash and mows the lawn. Guess I'm a bit more traditional in that sense.

Does make me wonder how much is instinctual and how much is cultural. Like the damsel in distress thing - "sir, can you be a doll and help me reach that box of rigatoni on the top shelf?" Girl_nails Flirty smile and eye contact, next thing you know "Hi I'm Kevin/Bob/whatever, mind if I call you sometime?" Consider

Apparently, Raelynn has a whole treasure trove of stereotypes in her songs: “For a boy, you’re good at saying sorry; For a girl, I’m pretty cool, calm, and collected.”

I was trying to live as christian of a life as possible--to be all I could be for God. Jesus died for my sins in such a horrific way---being a “good” christian woman was the least I could do (for him). I read Candace’s books back when I was a christian. Now I just feel sorry for her. Interviewer: “If your husband was going to make a decision that was detrimental to your family, would you still let him do it?” Candace: “Absolutely!” *eye roll*

I agree, I like confident men with a strong sense of self, and I hope they would also appreciate those qualities in a woman...And if he happened to look like Jason Statham--well, that wouldn’t be too bad either. Tongue

Chivalry is a definite turn on and I love this: “Your mama didn’t give you no raisin.” My new favorite quote Smile

I like to cook for guys--but I also like when they cook for me. I don’t do too well with the cooking/baking of things. I made my ex boyfriend cookies that came out like hockey pucks. He said you could use them as weapons lol.

Good for you for carving out your own path! A guy who is worth anything will be supportive of your dreams and not a "president" over your life and decisions. So go suck an egg, Candace! lol
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
12-05-2015, 12:04 PM
(12-05-2015 11:15 AM)Clockwork Wrote:  
(12-05-2015 09:51 AM)jennybee Wrote:  While I was searching for the Clash on you tube--I also saw this and thought of you and your irrational fear of ventriloquist dummies Tongue

I like those videos. I need to make a mask like that!

Now that would be something to see! Thumbsup